TW200 and the VersaHaul - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: TW200 and the VersaHaul

Yep,
    I got tired of the receiver/slider wobble and oscillation years ago so, I basically copied but, built a severely stronger model of a factory made one. The one that comes with the Versa Hauler is pure junk. While "they" might think it's ok 'cause they sell it, I tried it for about 30 seconds against what I made and, yep, theirs is in the scrap heap at home. I made mine from 3/4" round stock or, 3/4" grade 5 bolts. I sliced off the ends, did some file work, drilled two 9/16" holes and, purchased a two pack of "leaf spring" retention/suspension u-bolts from Tractor Supply. They're the exact right size for this application. They're also 1/2" diameter which, uses the supplied 3/4" Nylox nuts. They took me about an hour to make two of them. My initial test of them was a 6,500 mile trip around the U.S. last year, 20 states, 6.5 weeks and, our motor home, towing our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 which, carried our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on a Rampage lift in the bed. For that total trip, not once, REPEAT, NOT ONCE did that hitch lock I created, ever come loose. And, with that 6,500 - 6,700 lbs pushing up and down, side to side on a constant towing basis, that hitch lock never budged.
    ScottIMG_2877.JPGIMG_1010.JPGIMG_1015.JPGIMG_1027.JPGIMG_2845.JPGIMG_2848.JPG
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

On the left is the VersaHaul anti-wobble bracket and on the right is the type recommended by Stagewex.

Anti-Wobble Bracket.jpg

I think that's why VersaHaul gives you theirs for free?
    It worked fine on my original Jeep Wrangler but one of the bolts barely made it if you know what I mean. There's no question the replacement collar "bites". And you don't have to go on your back to make sure you have good contact.

I have not yet towed a trailer behind the VersaHaul but if I do I'll get another one of these collars. Again, and no way saying the VersaHaul one does not work... it does. But this one is better in a KISS way (keep it simple stupid).
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    I think that's why VersaHaul gives you theirs for free?
    It worked fine on my original Jeep Wrangler but one of the bolts barely made it if you know what I mean. There's no question the replacement collar "bites". And you don't have to go on your back to make sure you have good contact.

I have not yet towed a trailer behind the VersaHaul but if I do I'll get another one of these collars. Again, and no way saying the VersaHaul one does not work... it does. But this one is better in a KISS way (keep it simple stupid).

This is why I made my own. They are about as simple as one can get yet, they are about 5 times stronger than any on the market, that I've seen/worked with/looked at etc. You can tighten the bejeezus out of them with a 3/4" wrench/socket and as stated previously, they all held without ever loosening, in over 2,500 miles. I had three of them in my operation for carrying the TW and towing the Jeep. One for locking the riser to the original motorhome receiver, one for locking the Versa Hauler to the riser and one for locking the Tow bar to the Versa Hauler. Due to the dynamics of that operation, there was lots of torque on all three of those joints and those home made "hitch tighteners" came through with flying colors.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Chain'er down

I use stainless steel shackles on the handle bars and locking stainless carabiners on the hitch extensions, then chains with ratcheting chain binders to pull the suspension down at the front, simple straps on the rear, then two carbon fiber straps, one around each wheel and the hitch itself. This has held well over all roads to Alaska, entirely across Canada and back across the US on all sorts of roads on several trips.

IMG_0361.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
    I use stainless steel shackles on the handle bars and locking stainless carabiners on the hitch extensions, then chains with ratcheting chain binders to pull the suspension down at the front, simple straps on the rear, then two carbon fiber straps, one around each wheel and the hitch itself. This has held well over all roads to Alaska, entirely across Canada and back across the US on all sorts of roads on several trips.

IMG_0361.JPG
    WHOLLLY COWWWW BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I guess you REALLY DON'T WANT that thing coming off of there do you? Man, talk about some SERIOUS overkill on the tie-downs!!! I use/used those old "Ancra" types for tie-downs. You know, the friction type. We just completed a 2,700 mile trip through about 5-6 states and 5.5 weeks. As stated earlier in this thread, the TW was also on our Versa Hauler, on the back of our motorhome for all that time and distance. Needless to say, those tiedowns I used seemed to work just fine. The bike was always secure, every time I checked it, at rest stops, over night when we stopped to camp etc. But, the use of "Ratchet chain binders", man, that's a first for me.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links