TW200 and the VersaHaul
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: TW200 and the VersaHaul

TW200 and the VersaHaul

Hi all,

I know there's chatter here and there about the t-dub and the versahaul motorcycle hitch carrier, however I couldn't quite find pics of how a TW sits on one especially in the fat-rear-tire zone while I was shopping. Having just procured a VersaHaul today, I thought I'd share some pics of my first loading of the TW on it.

The slight squat in the pickup (a.k.a. the "LA tilt") was there before the VersaHaul was mounted. I'm going to be fixing that very soon with either blocks or airbags (or both) to accompany the recently installed Fox2.0 suspension. So it's not terribly related to the weight on the tongue (but maybe a little). Ignore the straps, those are NRS straps just to hold it up there for the pics. Wouldn't drive the truck in this config. Proper tie downs not shown in pics.

IMG_0817.jpgIMG_0812.jpgIMG_0815.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_0814.jpg

It was so much easier for me to load this on the carrier than putting it in the bed of the pickup... night and day.

I can't yet comment on how it drives loaded down the road or holds the bike steady, but I suspect it's going to be fine. I can say how it goes down the road unloaded: just fine. Not noisy, but not zero NVH; some noise from the way the ramp mounts to the carrier. Looks like a well engineered piece of equipment. The most novel thing in the whole design to me is the "Heavy Duty Anti-Tilt Lock Bracket" (p/n VH-070) that keeps the entire assembly from rocking left to right. It's so functional and simple. It can be used with my unrelated 4-bike rack in the future to keep that thing from tilting as I motor down the road. I should have known about these sooner:
    41CRwq0LQ0L._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_PIStarRatingFOUR,BottomLeft,360,-6_SR600,315.jpg
    PlacerLode and Ken like this.

great pics and info!

I have 100k miles plus using a versahaul I prefer the 600lb rated Sports Bike model because of the slightly wider and longer deck and it also doubles as my canopies back porch

I also pull Kendon trailers behind mine and it causes the trailer to track exactly in the trucks track so I could go through tight drive throughs with a trailer if they had overhead clearance
    Ken likes this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Yes, the VersaHaul is definitely a very nice, premium quality carrier that handles the TW's fat tires just fine. The only downsides are that it is very heavy and very expensive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well,
    We just got back from a 2,500-2,700 mile vacation with our motorhome carrying the T-Dub on a Versa Hauler and, towing our '15 Jeep JKUR. I had that TW off and back on that rack, oh, maybe no less than 20-30 times while on that 5 week vacation. I'd not used one before this and, I'm way more than happy. As for the fat little rear tire fitting in the tray, not a problem at all. In fact, I've got plenty of wiggle room for that tire so that the ramp sits in it's carrying position with ease. And, what's wrong with your straps? I can't zoom in on them too close but, I used four of the older style friction grip straps that were the kind used decades ago when we first started riding. I never, ever had one fail then, and, with that recent trip, didn't have any fail again. You're not holding down a full dress Harely or Goldwing, it's a 278 lb TW. And, even then, all you're doing is stabilizing it, not holding the weight. Everyone's got to use what's gonna work for them. I have zero problem using those friction type.
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darth, Ken, Scooterbrained and 1 others like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

In your last picture (original poster) your bike does not seem to be rigged straight. It'll help balance the load between your tie-downs if you do.

VersaHaul is one of the best tools in my garage. However that hitch collar that comes with it is a piece-of-shit. Toss it, Amazon sells these very basic and very butch collars for under $20.00 from a number of suppliers. A real good investment in my opinion:

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

Perhaps pushing the envelope, Ha:

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg
    Ken, Rhodetrip and El Chivo like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I always lean my bikes to the back like the OP to help the handle bars clear my camper top and the back of my Sprinter van you need at least 4" clearance to prevent impact with your vehicle and I have the dents to prove I learned it the hard way

the Versahaul anti rattle clamp has always worked great for me

re straps I use ratchet style and I use 8 straps 4 on each side triangulated as I've had strap failures on long trips when using just 4
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 08-31-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    grewen likes this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

"the Versahaul anti rattle clamp has always worked great for me"

That's what I thought too until one of the six guys I ride with showed up with one of these. Far superior and for the life of me don't understand why VersaHaul has not upgraded to this style and design. Live a little and try one, just $12 bucks out of all your BW $$ , you'll be surprised.
    All of us have these now, I wouldn't kid ya:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by stagewex; 08-31-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    admiral likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

The hitch stabilizer that stagewax posted is a huge improvement over any of the stabilizers that use multiple threaded bolts. I am a convert.
    El Chivo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    "the Versahaul anti rattle clamp has always worked great for me"

That's what I thought too until one of the six guys I ride with showed up with one of these. Far superior and for the life of me don't understand why VersaHaul has not upgraded to this style and design. Live a little and try one, just $12 bucks out of all your BW $$ , you'll be surprised.
    All of us have these now, I wouldn't kid ya:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Just bought one thanks to your post.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The Versahaul clamp worked great on my old Tundra, but the new one has a weld collar right where the bolts hit and so they keep sliding back and loosening. I think I need one of these. Thanks stagewex!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links