Riding boots for TW - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Riding boots for TW

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Enough of the BS....these Gaerne Oil Boots run from about $300-$360 depending on where you get them....they are without a doubt the best...you can wear them for days and your feet will still be dry and they are comfortable....Stop the Insanity!Attachment 197464
    Im going to purchase a boot with more support and protection. Im going with the Alpinestars Corozal Adventure.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

"Two standing orders in this platoon - One, take good care of your feet. Two, try not to do anything stupid, like gettin' yourself killed." - Lt. Dan
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    Anyone have an opinion on these? https://fortnine.ca/en/alpinestars-tech-7-enduro-boots

I think I'd rather walk in stiff boots than hobble around on crutches - been there - done that, way too many times. Also, wet feet I can deal with.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bryce Winnick View Post
    I have Alpinestar Tech 10's. This topic can become as controversial as a race based intelligence study. Forma seems like the boot of choice that is shouted out in forum after forum. I know little to nothing about them. They may be superb gear. I am 55 years old and self employed. A head injury puts me on disability for life. I don't skimp on my helmet and wear it when I am even just looking at the bike over the winter. The big money goes on the boots. One fall and I can be on screws, pins, plates, cane, crutches, or perhaps a life long limp. (old and broken...Dr.s appointments). I am not so scared of the fall as I am of the narrow trees on the trails and the rocks that can pin me between the bike and the obstacle. The bike pinning me to the ground on rocks is also a concern. To me a trail is a one track. Very narrow. It opens up wider as you are in the sugar sand and sometimes mud/deep waters. The bark busters should keep my fingers on my hand and my hand on my wrists. My TW has always treated me well on the roads and it treats me like royalty in the woods. Seldom do you get out of second gear in the woods.

The definition of trail varies. Some people think they are on a trail when they are riding down unimproved road shoulder. Other people define a trail as an orv path through the woods. The closer you are to obstacles goes a long way to guiding you to the choice of boot. The inherent certainty of a fall should also guide you. if you want comfort in case you are going to walk, put a pair of something else in the side bags.

Don't skimp on your helmet or boots.

I am not going to remark about Alpinestar Tech 10's being the best boots in the world and then tell you that nobody should buy any another boot but Alpinestar Tech 10's and that everyone should buy Alpinestar Tech 10's because this is a serious topic and these boots are very expensive and I do not want to make a joke about what I hope is an exercise in serious deliberation that can seriously stretch your budget.

Good advice man,

I would hate like hell to get a serious injury because I wanted to save a couple hundred dollars. I'd rather have the extra protection and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

What do you think of the Tech 7 Enduro boots, or to hell with it and buy the 10's?
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

As has been said - you can walk, or you can stomp - your choice ...

18c8639dc5c209568fceb4ab3edcd568.jpg
    Hoot Gibson, Ken, Ride Now and 1 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I got the Rev'it Discovery Outdry boots, and they've been excellent. I love the BOA closer feature far more than standard buckle closures. They're also completely waterproof.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    As has been said - you can walk, or you can stomp - your choice ...

18c8639dc5c209568fceb4ab3edcd568.jpg
    Tech 10's are $904 delivered where I live. Ya, know what? Cheap insurance in my books. I prefer to ride, than bounce around on crutches. I'll stomp around in them in the winter to break them in for the first spring ride. I would imagine a a quality boot like that will last, 5 years? Maybe more, if properly taken care of? I see a lot of $250 Canadian boots that people go through in 1 season.

Stomp it is, thanks Purple.
    Purple likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by orrsmills View Post
    Im going to purchase a boot with more support and protection. Im going with the Alpinestars Corozal Adventure.
    Whatever fits your needs...I like something with moderate to good protection, keep your feet dry, and something you could/can walk in and wear for 24 hours without cramping my style....the G Oil Boots fit that mode...had them for 4 /12 years, since right before Moab 2015 and never had a issue. Now, frankly I don't ride hardcore, but mud, rain, and wearing, walking in them is a breeze....
    TomT likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Bottom LIne: If you need a $1000 pair of boots to ride a TW....better get a bigger and more off road worthy bike....IMO of course...but I {and I say most folks} don't take TWs into the lands that require iron shield, uncomfortable boots...

Jee~Us I'm glad to see we have something else to discuss/argue about as opposed to types of chains, oil, and tires
    TheFunkyMonkey likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I broke my leg in 3 places on my bmx bike when i was 14. Crutches for 4 months with a cast from my toes to my balls, with my knee at a 45º, was a ton of fun.

Long term investment - possibly. Or, buy a new $250 pair of boots every year for 5 years, that don't even come close to the level of protection/quality or comfort. I can't afford to get hurt.

I've seen plenty of pro MX riders wearing armoured boots and it doesn't seem to slow them down

Edit - a more off-road worthy bike? Say a YZ125 - weighs ~75lbs less, I'd want more protection on the heavier TW, but that is just me.
    Last edited by TeeDoubleUTwoHundred; 09-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links