Riding boots for TW
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Riding boots for TW

Riding boots for TW

what boots do you folk recommend for riding the TW on trails, etc?

Thx.

Google - tw200 forum riding boots - and then open each of the links in the first post.
    FishByte and ejfranz like this.

Answer really depends on your personal preferences and budget.
    Prefer comfort over ultimate protection?
    How much money are you willing to spend? Under $100 or are you comfortable spending upwards of $500?
    My short answer is $200 Forma Adventure boots...Amazing comfort with ability to hike either for fun, or to hike out of woods in an emergency when your bike breaks down. Moderate protections means I have gotten bruises and mild injuries with them in extreme rock riding but haven't had to carry spare shoes for my inevitable off-bike wanderings.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-02-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    Trail Woman, reddave and NVcowboy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I been researching. Im liking the Forma Adventure boots. Im looking to spend between $200 and $350.

Footwear is a compromise somewhere between 100% comfort OR 100% protection.

You said trails, so, my personal opinion born of some bad experiences, enduro MX style boots (had Forma Adventures, then I bought Gaerne SG-10 and I love them), hard plastic protection, firm sole. They are generally miserable for walking any long distance, but having a rock/root/tree trunk smack your foot of the pegs by toe contact will SUCK in a leather comfort boot. Or laying the TW down on a leg, because gravity, at least it won't break your ankle. The break in period was about 20 hours of riding, then the pivot joint really got better, I am able to use the rear brake without effort. When new, they are stiff.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

That depends on if your definition of trail is well groomed or rough single track.

IMO the forma adventure is minimal protection for trails that are not well groomed.
    For the speed a TW can be handled over rough stuff they are barely adequate for a skilled rider.

In other words if you're riding really rough trails and you plan to wear them then you better be skilled and respect the risks.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    I have Alpinestar Tech 10's. This topic can become as controversial as a race based intelligence study. Forma seems like the boot of choice that is shouted out in forum after forum. I know little to nothing about them. They may be superb gear. I am 55 years old and self employed. A head injury puts me on disability for life. I don't skimp on my helmet and wear it when I am even just looking at the bike over the winter. The big money goes on the boots. One fall and I can be on screws, pins, plates, cane, crutches, or perhaps a life long limp. (old and broken...Dr.s appointments). I am not so scared of the fall as I am of the narrow trees on the trails and the rocks that can pin me between the bike and the obstacle. The bike pinning me to the ground on rocks is also a concern. To me a trail is a one track. Very narrow. It opens up wider as you are in the sugar sand and sometimes mud/deep waters. The bark busters should keep my fingers on my hand and my hand on my wrists. My TW has always treated me well on the roads and it treats me like royalty in the woods. Seldom do you get out of second gear in the woods.

The definition of trail varies. Some people think they are on a trail when they are riding down unimproved road shoulder. Other people define a trail as an orv path through the woods. The closer you are to obstacles goes a long way to guiding you to the choice of boot. The inherent certainty of a fall should also guide you. if you want comfort in case you are going to walk, put a pair of something else in the side bags.

Don't skimp on your helmet or boots.

I am not going to remark about Alpinestar Tech 10's being the best boots in the world and then tell you that nobody should buy any another boot but Alpinestar Tech 10's and that everyone should buy Alpinestar Tech 10's because this is a serious topic and these boots are very expensive and I do not want to make a joke about what I hope is an exercise in serious deliberation that can seriously stretch your budget.
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 09-02-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Enough of the BS....these Gaerne Oil Boots run from about $300-$360 depending on where you get them....they are without a doubt the best...you can wear them for days and your feet will still be dry and they are comfortable....Stop the Insanity!Garne Riding Boots .png
    TomT likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Enough of the BS....these Gaerne Oil Boots run from about $300-$360 depending on where you get them....they are without a doubt the best...you can wear them for days and your feet will still be dry and they are comfortable....Stop the Insanity!Garne Riding Boots .png
    They appear similar in protection to the forma adventure but I like the stiffer flat soles on these much better. Heels just get in the way. One thing it looks like both of these boots lack is side way ankle support, which is something I will be looking for in my next boot.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

I got a screaming deal on them, and had their predecessors that I enjoyed, but I run Sidi Adventure 2's.

Damn near infinitely adjustable on how tight or loose you can make them, decent walking comfort if you aren't doing a 5k. My only complaint that can be solved with a little silicone lubricant spray is they squeak.
    2016 TW. "Jolene"
    Extended clutch, brake, throttle lines. 2"Bar riser, Pro Taper ATV High bars.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links