Memorable spills?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Memorable spills?

Memorable spills?

My 87 had 200 miles on it when I was going up a steep hill. I caught 'an shrubbery' with the clutch lever. That was enough to disengage the clutch for a split second. The result? I went back down the hill. Rolling over and over. Each time my back hit the ground I pushed the bike away. But it kept coming back to smash into me. Again and again and again. No idea how many times. My buddies came running. Later told me they thought I was dead or worse. But I was actually laughing! I hadn't hurt anything seriously. Some bruises and some scrapes. That was the first time I busted the taillight. Also bent the shifter down and around under the bike. After forcing that back to a usable position I went on up the hill and we continued on our way.
    Kayak, Smitty Blackstone and Darth like this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

A very long time ago, in a much younger and more flexible body... I was chasing another rider on a 250 enduro, on my 100cc two smoke. Doing well and keeping up with the better (equipped and experienced) rider, having a great time chasing him along the trails. In a set of sandy whoop dee doos… I was traveling much too quickly for my sub four inches of suspension travel to compensate. Hit a small (brick sized) rock and endo'd, went hurtling off the bike as the front wheel dug into the ground sideways, face first into the sand. Hurting everywhere, mouth and goggles filled with sand, face down, I hear the bike screaming away... it had fallen on the throttle side and was laying there... wide open throttle... screaming away! I got to my feet (not very quickly) and stumbled towards the sound of my bike blowing itself up. Spitting out sand and trying to get the goggles off, and sand out of the eyes... I stumbled right onto the rear wheel. The spinning Yokohama Super Digger of death (a 4.10 with the side knobs trimmed to fit where a 3.00 was supposed to go)... it proceeded to toss me about twenty feet into the weeds. I lay there in even more pain, and blissfully heard the bike run out of fuel... the petcock on the left side.... still makes me smile... I was worried more about the bike.
    It's never too late to be assimilated...

Somebody buy that man a set of bark busters.
    Smitty Blackstone, GOF and Darth like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Somebody buy that man a set of bark busters.
    LOL! I was new. The bike was new. What did I know?

But that reminds me. I'm gonna need to order some new ones now that I am rehabbing the old girl.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

I've got too many stories . Lets just say I was a good product tester.
    GOF, admiral and Darth like this.

Well Gang,
    I'll make this short and sweet. First off, I know I'll more than likely get slammed for this but, I'm not the kind that does "ATGATT" or, all the gear, all the time. Nope, when it warm outside and things are real comfortable, I'm out there in shorts, T-shirt, base ball cap (my state has no helmet law) and tennis shoes. Oh, and gloves. Well, we were just finishing up a 2,600 mile vacation in the motorhome, carrying the T-dub and, towing our Jeep. It was the second to the last day of the 5 week trip before we landed back home, in Lake Havasu City AZ. We were camped in Williams AZ, about 3 hours east of Lake Havasu and, about 30-40 minutes west of Flagstaff. The wife was relaxing, the dog sleeping and, I decided to buzz around the local trails on the Dub.

Off I went. First, it was basic dirt roads, much of it alongside a set of rail road tracks. I just kept following dirt roads etc. in all kinds of directions but, for the most part, keeping my bearing in relation to our campground/RV park. I-40 was very near us so, as long as I kept either it in sight, or could hear it, I knew the basics of my position. Well, I got onto a ROCKY trail that, was basically heading back towards camp but, it was an uphill battle and, getting farther and farther away from I-40, NOT GOOD! I'd climbed and battled this rocky hill for over 1/2 mile and it was getting worse. I was also, LOW ON FUEL, based on my trip meter which read 89 miles. I base my basic fuel mileage at about 75 mpg.

Well, the rocks kept getting tighter and tighter and bigger and bigger and, well, the bike finally gave up the ghost and said, "I'm not going any farther" and, at that point, it just fell over to the right. No damage to the bike at all. It fell onto the hand guards and that was it. But, based on my riding position when it fell, I ended up straddling the bike as it laid there. Well, something was seriously wrong! I was feeling instant pain to my left calf and upper, inner thigh. By the time I could realize what had and was happening, my left calf and upper inner thigh was being COOKED by the header exhaust pipe. I yanked my leg out of that position and stumbled to a larger rock to sit down and evaluate my condition. I was alone, out in an unknown, and from what I could tell, a very little used rocky, uphill trail, a burned leg, one bottle of water and, LOW ON FUEL!

Well, I had no choice, I called the wife, who'd been tracking me on my phone and told her of the mishap. I said I was fine but, IT HURTS and, I'm on my way back. She zoomed off to the local pharmacy for supplies to treat the burn. In total distance, I was only, really about 12 or so miles from camp. I managed to turn the bike around and, decided to head back down that rocky hill. Yeah, that was fun. But, I got back onto the road paralleling the rail road tracks and opened the bike up for some speed. The leg was hurting more and more. Baaaaaaddddddaaaa! What's this? CRAP, I'm out of fuel. Well, I switched to reserve and, pushed the starter button a couple of times and, that little engine zoomed back to life. Back up to speed, (around 40 on that dirt road). I pulled into our camp spot and the wife said, "no doubt about it, we're off to the Urgent care facility, if they have one".

So, off we went. I figured they'd say what I already thought, it is/was a second degree burn. So, they managed to clean things up and take care of it. Nice, caring people there. If the pics come through, it's almost nastier looking now then it was when it first happened. But, that's normal 'cause it's trying to heal. Now, I know, I know, if only I'd have had super wazoo riding boots etc. all this might not have happened. But folks, I've been riding for decades and, have tried those riding boots and have never, ever liked them. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too cumbersome for me. And I now suffer the consequences. My burn will heal, I will continue to ride in my normal fashion and riding apparel but, I have learned to stay OFF of the type of terrain that quite possibly will get me into some sort of trouble. I'm too old to be make those kinds of mistakes. I love this little bike and the fun I've had and will continue to have. I just have to realize that my limits are not what they used to be. No biggie.
    Scott

P.s. Sorry about the pics being sideways. They're not like that in my file. For some reason, they loaded that way on this forum. You get the point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    admiral, Darth and Ken like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Yeeouch!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Well Gang,
    I'll make this short and sweet. First off, I know I'll more than likely get slammed for this but, I'm not the kind that does "ATGATT" or, all the gear, all the time. Nope, when it warm outside and things are real comfortable, I'm out there in shorts, T-shirt, base ball cap (my state has no helmet law) and tennis shoes. Oh, and gloves. Well, we were just finishing up a 2,600 mile vacation in the motorhome, carrying the T-dub and, towing our Jeep. It was the second to the last day of the 5 week trip before we landed back home, in Lake Havasu City AZ. We were camped in Williams AZ, about 3 hours east of Lake Havasu and, about 30-40 minutes west of Flagstaff. The wife was relaxing, the dog sleeping and, I decided to buzz around the local trails on the Dub.

Off I went. First, it was basic dirt roads, much of it alongside a set of rail road tracks. I just kept following dirt roads etc. in all kinds of directions but, for the most part, keeping my bearing in relation to our campground/RV park. I-40 was very near us so, as long as I kept either it in sight, or could hear it, I knew the basics of my position. Well, I got onto a ROCKY trail that, was basically heading back towards camp but, it was an uphill battle and, getting farther and farther away from I-40, NOT GOOD! I'd climbed and battled this rocky hill for over 1/2 mile and it was getting worse. I was also, LOW ON FUEL, based on my trip meter which read 89 miles. I base my basic fuel mileage at about 75 mpg.

Well, the rocks kept getting tighter and tighter and bigger and bigger and, well, the bike finally gave up the ghost and said, "I'm not going any farther" and, at that point, it just fell over to the right. No damage to the bike at all. It fell onto the hand guards and that was it. But, based on my riding position when it fell, I ended up straddling the bike as it laid there. Well, something was seriously wrong! I was feeling instant pain to my left calf and upper, inner thigh. By the time I could realize what had and was happening, my left calf and upper inner thigh was being COOKED by the header exhaust pipe. I yanked my leg out of that position and stumbled to a larger rock to sit down and evaluate my condition. I was alone, out in an unknown, and from what I could tell, a very little used rocky, uphill trail, a burned leg, one bottle of water and, LOW ON FUEL!

Well, I had no choice, I called the wife, who'd been tracking me on my phone and told her of the mishap. I said I was fine but, IT HURTS and, I'm on my way back. She zoomed off to the local pharmacy for supplies to treat the burn. In total distance, I was only, really about 12 or so miles from camp. I managed to turn the bike around and, decided to head back down that rocky hill. Yeah, that was fun. But, I got back onto the road paralleling the rail road tracks and opened the bike up for some speed. The leg was hurting more and more. Baaaaaaddddddaaaa! What's this? CRAP, I'm out of fuel. Well, I switched to reserve and, pushed the starter button a couple of times and, that little engine zoomed back to life. Back up to speed, (around 40 on that dirt road). I pulled into our camp spot and the wife said, "no doubt about it, we're off to the Urgent care facility, if they have one".

So, off we went. I figured they'd say what I already thought, it is/was a second degree burn. So, they managed to clean things up and take care of it. Nice, caring people there. If the pics come through, it's almost nastier looking now then it was when it first happened. But, that's normal 'cause it's trying to heal. Now, I know, I know, if only I'd have had super wazoo riding boots etc. all this might not have happened. But folks, I've been riding for decades and, have tried those riding boots and have never, ever liked them. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too cumbersome for me. And I now suffer the consequences. My burn will heal, I will continue to ride in my normal fashion and riding apparel but, I have learned to stay OFF of the type of terrain that quite possibly will get me into some sort of trouble. I'm too old to be make those kinds of mistakes. I love this little bike and the fun I've had and will continue to have. I just have to realize that my limits are not what they used to be. No biggie.
    Scott

P.s. Sorry about the pics being sideways. They're not like that in my file. For some reason, they loaded that way on this forum. You get the point.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Could have been worse. Could have been in a position that you couldn't get that leg out from under the bike. Glad you are on the mend.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Had the same sort of thing happen to me. In my case it was the right leg trapped between the frame tube and exhaust while sliding down a steep hill. The O'Neal pants melted to my leg and it was real fun to have the nylon scraped off before they could treat the burn.

I can't remember all of my falls. Some are not that memorable. Thank goodness for photo's to remind me.

I think my eyes are closed while Evil Knieveling at Hells Revenge in Moab 2017.

If my eyes where open this is what I would have seen

Uphill in the sand.

You guessed it. Rider/TW separation just like a NASA booster rocket.

Bye, bye now

I did not "stick" the landing

I'm not opposed to laughing at one of my son's when he biffs it...as long as he's ok right? haha. Poison Spider - Moab 17.
    littletommy, Ken, Darth and 5 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links