shift without clutch - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: shift without clutch

I do it by accident sometimes when my foot in on the lever in anticipation of shifting and I let off the throttle and it slips into the next gear. Nothing wrong with this but unless you really know your gears I'd stick with the clutch.

I'm so used to using the clutch I don't even think not too. Of course, I've accidentally hit the shift pedal with my foot without using the clutch when I've been bouncing around hanging on for dear life. ...but that wasn't on purpose...the shifting part.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by orrsmills View Post
    do you folks shift the TW without the clutch at times? Im not talking all the time, like when slowing down and hit it in a lower gear without the clutch when going well below the speed for the gear Im in. I know when I bought my XT250 they said its OK to shift at certain times without the clutch. Wondering if it the same with the little TW?
    In a direct mesh transmission... your counter sprocket shaft is turning at the speed relative to the rear wheel/final gearing regardless of whether or not your clutch is pulled in. The previous statement about 'unloading' by getting off the throttle is spot on. Give you an example... DO NOT DO THIS!!!! - say you are going downhill and drifting at 50mph. You pull the clutch all the way in and shift all the way down through the gears. You will hear and feel the shift loudly the farther down you go. Why? Even though that clutch is pulled in, gears are still spinning that you have meshed to the counter sprocket shaft and each lower one you go to is going to be a harder and harder mesh to that counter sprocket to the point you'll think you broke it just by the sound. (obviously you would never, ever do this unless you want to learn just how powerful an engine brake can be at 50 mph and how surprisingly faster it can lock up your rear wheel than your drum brake could if you let out the clutch at this point).

Point is, you don't need the clutch to shift, (though imo you should) but since the engine is meshed to the transmission via the clutch the key here is matching engine RPM's and transmission speed before the shift. You have to get them both matched up and not be under load by letting off the throttle. I would say over the long haul this practice is not going to be the best for the teeth on the gears in your transmission, or the shift cam mechanism as your engine RPM's being matched up to counter sprocket speed will be off enough from time to time that the gear teeth will take the hit from it as well as the extra little force on the shift cam attached to your shift lever, because sometimes (and you'll feel it) there is a little kickback felt through it when the gear is being forced into play.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 09-07-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    GreatWhiteHunter and GOF like this.
    2013 TW200
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    I run an auto-clutch which makes shifting very similar to a no clutch shift..... tension on the shifter.... match wheel speed with engine rpm....pop it into the gear you are looking for... easy. if you have good throttle control it won't hurt a thing
    Darth likes this.
    Converte gladium tuum in locum suum. Omnes enim, qui acceperint gladium, gladio peribunt. - JC

Back in the olden days when I was young and dumb and full of come ….I recall riding a TW back to camp with a broken clutch lever.... twice….fool me once...well I was dumb...now I carry a spare.....

As I recall it was no problem shifting or getting to neutral when stopping ….. that was back in the 80's and I think you could start the bike in gear with the battery????

I am not sure...but in any case it was all downhill so it would have been no problem bump starting..... stuff happens.....
    Darth likes this.

This for those who believe that since the engineers put a clutch lever on the motorcycle, you must use it.
    Or, you can not do it without trashing your tranny.
    Or, you are a newbie and just haven't thought about it.

OK...what if the clutch lever is not there? As in broken off?
    What if the clutch cable is broken?
    What if your left wrist is broken?
    What if you have the overpowering urge to scratch your nuts, just at shift time?

Here's a little Bike Bandit "How To..." article that explains it. It's not written very well and is just *wrong* on a couple of points, but you'll get the idea.

And, yes you can downshift without the clutch...it's just the opposite of the upshift procedure. Except when you are stopping, you must must downshift to neutral rather than the next lower gear. Then to take off again, with it still in neutral, just "dog-paddle" a couple of steps, then snick it into 1st or 2nd and off you go. Rinse, repeat.
    I once had to ride most of the way across Dallas with a frozen clutch cable on a BMW...no sweat.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-...any-motorcycle

Think it through, then practice it at slow road & engine speeds until you get the hang of it...it's easy and it won't hurt your bike.
    troll likes this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Another e article from Bike Bandit related to "Shifting Without the Clutch"...

Downshifting

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/moto...ing-techniques
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

On YOUR bike...you can do whatever you want.
    littletommy, admiral and MtnMan75 like this.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Absolutely nothing wrong with clutchless shifting if you do it right. Here's a great video:

Darth likes this.

It's a good skill to know. Ride long enough and you'll break a clutch cable or slave cylinder. You can ride home instead of walk. The difficult one is first - pushing the bike, then dropping it down(up to 2nd probably easier in a TW). Can be done. Has saved me on a bike and a 4wd pickup in the back country.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links