Cover or Shed for TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Cover or Shed for TW200

Cover or Shed for TW200

My current place has a garage, which has been awesome for storing my new (used) TW. Unfortunately, I'm moving to a place at the end of the month that doesn't have a garage, only an off-street parking pad.

Anyone have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive (less than 300-400 dollar range) storage solution to protect it reasonably well from the elements (Pittsburgh, PA) and make it inconspicuous enough for passersby to ignore (it's off an alley and not a heavily trafficked area, but the more secure the better)? I've been looking at the 6x8 Abba Patio Storage Shed on Amazon for around $200, but looking for suggestions and experience from the best!

As for deep winter storage, I'd love to keep my TW at my place all winter for those unusually warm winter weeks we've been having the past few years. But, if that's inadvisable and it would do more harm for the bike than is worth the 15+ riding days I could get, I could probably find a friend's garage to store it in for the Dec-Feb months. Anyone have advice on that?

I was in a similar situation years ago and had to move last minute from a place with a two car garage to a condo in the city.

I cleared it with the neighborhood but installed a motorcycle shelter like this one on Amazon. I installed it at the end of the parking lot right under a light post that provided both light as well as a fixed object for me to chain the bike to.

I think with any soft sided option, you'll need to secure directly to the ground so it doesn't blow away and be mindful to clear snow off based on your locale. You'll also want to consider somewhere to chain to if the neighborhood requires that.
    Last edited by TheFunkyMonkey; 09-09-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    mollymoore22 likes this.

Hey Molly!

Long ago I had to move from a house with 2-car garage to an apartment with no covered parking.
    And I had a brand new Kawasaki hot-rod and later a Triumph Bonneville.
    I was on the 2nd floor, else I would have kept them inside...and my wife would have beat me...every day!
    What to do?

I lucked out and it was way simple!

The stairs to the 2nd floor were "outdoors" but covered and had one wall.
    I just ran the bikes nose-forward under the stairs and chained them to a rail.
    Out of the sun, rain & out of sight from the street & parking lot...and totally visible from my back door.
    That was a major factor in choosing that apartment.

In Dallas, TX in the late '60s, if you wanted to do something like that and it hurt nothing and caused no probs...you just did it, no permission, no sweat.
    Nowadays, I shudder to think of the hassle it would be.
    And it was shortly before the movie "Easy Rider" was released and people had not yet learned to hate motorcycles!

Good luck...
    mollymoore22 likes this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Used to park my bike in the living room. Rode it right up the steps and into the house. Never had an issue with vandalism or theft after that.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Worse case scenario: You have to leave the bike out in the elements for any period of time (long enough to freeze the battery.

Remove the battery and bring it inside for the winter.
    It's the only thing on the bike that will actually freeze, or be harmed by freezing temps.

Of course, the batt will still require usual storage/charging precautions.

Bring it out & install for those warm spells...ride that puppy!

Remember to keep the gas tank & fuel system either totally drained, or....
    Keep the fuel system totally drained and the tank totally full of Ethanol-free gas. If you must fill with our usual crap gas (spiked with government mandated Ethanol that will clog up the works), use a double-dose of SeaFoam or StaBil brand fuel conditioner before storage, from Wally World or any auto parts store.

It's also OK to not drain anything at all if you always use Ethanol-free and/or self-treated gas.
    The main things to avoid are storing it with crap gas and ...
    Keep the tank full to avoid air spaces. Air pockets will allow moisture to form from condensation and cause corrosion.

Don't let all this scare you off...just find the system that suits you best and stick to it.

And my compliments to you for concerning yourself with this before you have problems...many people don't!
    mollymoore22 and Hoot Gibson like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Depending on your parking space availability I would buy a used enclosed 6 foot trailer.

GaryL
    Sthrnromr and Rod R like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Depending on your parking space availability I would buy a used enclosed 6 foot trailer.

GaryL
    This. With a good locking setup and you're in real good shape. If space permits of course.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Unfortunately an enclosed trailer likely exceeds the O.P's stated $400 price cap. I would suggest a plastic or metal sided shed over a fabric unit if local permitting allows.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    I would get a quality bike cover. Even stored inside of a shed, the moisture level will be the same. Also, I'd look into bike security. I hear good things about the Kryptonite "Fuggedaboutit" NYC bike lock - expensive, but will chase away amateur thieves. Even a cheapo alarm. Let's face it, if a pro wants your bike, you might as well start it up and warm it for them.

If I lived w/o a work space/storage space, and if I had the money, I would look into renting a storage locker and using it a a mini-garage. Preferably one that allows you 24 hour access and is secure. For the TDub, you wouldn't really need a big space. I'm not sure on the prices on storage lockers, sometimes they are quite affordable. Also, sometimes they are climate controlled as well.

Just things I was thinking about if I had to move.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

This is not mine and I personally think it is a scam but I have seen a few of these small enclosed trailers go for not much more. https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...975260614.html

Trailers like these are often bought, used for a few trips and then they sit. I know guys around here buy them to drag their bikes back and forth to Florida a couple times.

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson and littletommy like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links