DEATH WING - Who coined the phrase for the Bridgestone Trail Wing TW31 front tire? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: DEATH WING - Who coined the phrase for the Bridgestone Trail Wing TW31 front tire?

You could probaly find a rim lock for the TW's front wheel, since it is a common size for many bike's rear wheel. I have not heard of anyone either finding, or using, a rim lock the TW's rear wheel.

I have routinely aired down to 5-7psi on the both front and rear for gnarly trails (otherwise known as Fred's easy single tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    You could probaly find a rim lock for the TW's front wheel, since it is a common size for many bike's rear wheel. I have not heard of anyone either finding, or using, a rim lock the TW's rear wheel.

I have routinely aired down to 5-7psi on the both front and rear for gnarly trails (otherwise known as Fred's easy single tracks).

5-7 psi, yahoo, my kind-a pressure. I've done that in the Jeeps, but only when I know we're headed to very soft sand. And even then, there's NO hot rodding around. It's just a matter of getting from point A to point B without getting stuck. It's worked every time. But, 5-7 on the T-dub, wow, I'm gonna have to try that. I'm still gonna start snooping the I-net for new skins though since these are 12 years old.
    Scott
    GCRAD1 likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Hey FUS - Fire Up Scott!

Bead Locks / Rim Locks: We see them in the shop every day for MX & large wheel dual sport bikes. There might be a fitment from a 300/350/400 rear wheel that might work for the TW's front wheel. But you will be drilling a hole into your TW-rim. Not a major issue.

But too, I have gotten a flat on the front (and rear for that matter) and both times I road the bike out of the woods on flat tire/s (separate times) and did not break the bead. This was my whole concern while riding down Saddleback on my first flat (front tire) as I did not want to trash my rim and was being very carful (slow creep) when I had the flat front tire as it is so easy to hit rocks and bend the rim lips. I knew I was running too low and too fast... it was totally avoidable. That is the trade off, faster higher, slower lower. Same as our 4X4's!

The rear flat was a crazy fun ride as I rode 20+ miles out of Big Bear, Fawnskin area on the rear flat and made it quite a ways down the paved road before I was rescued with a trailer. Yes, tire was wasted afterwards, but it was time anyhow as I hit the 5,000-mile mark on that tire. You can see ALL THE COMEDY in TillDeathDualUsSports video:
    The part with me riding is around the 8'ish-min mark, but may as well watch the whole thing if you haven't already!

Back on point, I don't think I will be adding a rim lock on the TW200. But my XR400 comes factory with them!

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Well Gang,
    Just wondering, there's been mention of low tire pressure for better off roading. Well, we've been running low tire pressure in Jeeps now, ever since Christ was a pup. My tire pressure bleeders are set to 10 psi for the Jeep. Just screw them on the valve stems and, when they quit flowing, you're at 10 psi. In 35-40 years of Moab, Colorado, Ouray, Arizona, CA and more, not once have I ever popped a bead for too low of tire pressure. Now, on the T-dub, one has mentioned around 12 psi. I'd whole heartedly agree. But, one thing that so far, in all the tire threads I've read on here, even if lower tire pressure is mentioned, that I have not seen mention of is, a "bead lock".
    I know years and years ago, some dirt and dual sport bikes came with this little wazoo, 1/2 u-shaped (actually looked like a horse saddle) gizmo that had a stem on it that looked almost like a valve stem. But, as you mounted a tire, you'd position this mechanism so that it took a bite on each bead of the tire, opposite sides of course, and then tighten the stem down and that *clamp* type mechanism, held that tire in a give position on the wheel and would not let it spin. I've not seen any mention of those. Are they still in use? Has anyone added them to a TW, front or back wheel/tire? Just wondering.
    Scott
    Last edited by GCRAD1; 09-11-2019 at 11:47 PM.
    Hidden Content 2016-TDUB • Built Suspension • LED Headlamp • FMF Powercore4 • Skid Plate • *fifteen/49 sprockets • EVO Air Footpegs • KX High (108mm) bars •1-1/8 Bar Risers • Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards • 714 Soft Touch Rally Grips • 241 Front Tire • Rear Rack • Front Rack

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponosred Links