First Time TW owner - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: First Time TW owner

Took it for a spin today (8-miles) around my community, it took a little getting use too but was fun.
    Most of the women driven suv's appeared to want to run me over but I survived.
    Got it up to 55mph once just to see it in the red zone of the speedo.
    Observations:
    1st gear is way too low for a street bike (will be great on the goat trails).
    I need bigger foot pegs.
    The rear drum brake is useless.

Other than above it's going to be fun LITTLE bike, just need to avoid the street as much as possible.
    Going to change the oil this week then take it on a few trails in the hills.

Thanks for all the valuable information
    littletommy, tylermoney and Darth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
    ordered three oil filters last night.
    The filters are fine to reuse after cleaning. again and again as long as not damaged. Search forum for and read about "wrong filters" in the "correct" factory boxes. and check to make sure each of those you have bought are correct. The incorrect filters without the 4 holes (iirc) will fit; but not allow oil to reach the upper motor areas; with major damage as a result. Loosening the bleed bolt after a change; to make sure oil is getting pumped up there when started, will help save $$$. But again; if filter is found to be in fine shape after cleaning, reusing it is done by many; many times over.
    SanDue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
    ....The rear drum brake is useless.....
    No it's not. I can lock up the rear wheel on any surface at any speed. Yours must be out of adjustment. The pedal should only go down about 1/2 inch before starting to engage.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 09-12-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    GOF, tylermoney and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I adjusted the free play on the rear drum brake.
    Had lots of early Huskies and CR's with drum brakes that worked great but I didn't weigh 240 lbs back then either
    Maybe just needs more breaking in? only have 8-miles on the bike..
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

Well, yes, the shoes do need to break in. Use the brake gently at first and slowly increase the pressure over the first couple hundred miles to avoid glazing them....but you have done that many times before. I wonder if there isn't something else going on. If it doesn't improve in a couple hundred miles I'd have look to see if the shoes are contacting the drum properly. Unusual in a brand new bike but not impossible.
    Husky44 likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

First Time TW owner

295 miles on my 2018. Rear brake is pretty weak.
    No reason to replace the oil filters, just clean and reuse as they are metal screens not paper.
    Also I suggest Dino oil for breaking in, this is a 1987 engine not a brand new corvette engine with perfect fit a machining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darth likes this.

Wow, First off, I purchased my '07 with only 582 miles on it, about 2 months ago. It took me a week to get it to where I could start it because the poor little bike had been so badly treated in its younger years and, the bike had been sitting for 5 years prior to me picking it up. Lots of rust in the tank. Anyways, once I got it running, made some adjustments here and there, this little bike runs like a top. I too have had a zillion motorcycles over the years (about 50 years and approximately 25 or more motorcycles) and, I find no issue with that rear brake. SURE, it's not a disc. But, it works. The leverage applied by the brake lever on the drum/holder, is perfectly fine for any and all break applications. And man, I can't believe how many think using a USED oil filter is ok. Those things are CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a three pack on Amazon for around $10 or so. I mean, man, I won't even think about re-using one. It's a choice thing but, they're just too darn cheap for me to re-use them. One quart of oil and one filter, about $5-$7 (depending on what oil I use and maybe an "on sale" thing) and it's done, about every what, couple thousand miles?

Your bike, your engine, your choice. Good luck.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Put two more miles on the bike to warm up the oil prior to changing, rear brake getting a little better.
    Bought four filters from Amazon (paper) decided to re-use the factory mesh filter after cleaning.
    Getting use to the bike and lack of power. Have to quit comparing it to my MX bikes and one liter+ street bikes.
    I do find myself smiling and even laugh a little when ripping around on the TW, all is good in the world..
    TW-Brian, Darth and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Welcome to the madness!!!
    Husky44 likes this.

Installed wider pegs today, fit like factory. (now painted black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed the factory Yamaha rack, good enough for me (don’t plan on heavy loads)

Tusk Handguards

IMG_0733.jpgIMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpgIMG_0741.jpg
    Last edited by Husky44; Yesterday at 06:35 PM.
    tylermoney likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links