Thinking about a TW200
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Thinking about a TW200

Thinking about a TW200

I used to ride a lot in my younger days (I'm 67)
    Dirt bikes = Yammer 250, Bultaco 125, Maico 250, CZ, Husky 450, zuki 250.
    Road bikes = Triumph Bonneville (650) TT, and a Norton Commando (750).
    I have a BSA victor (441) in the garage, needs work and itís a PIA to kick start.
    I havenít ridden on the road in years, and Iím down from 165lbs when I was in my 20ís to about 150 now, but I still have great balance and I work out daily.
    I've been thinking about getting a bike to commute to my office which is maybe 3-4 miles of non-freeway roads, and to play around on dirt roads or on the farm.
    Iíve been looking at the 800cc Ducati Icon Scrambler and thinking hard about getting one then I ran across a TW200. The Ducati is about 400lbs wet, the TW is under 300.
    This thing looks fun!
    Questions; Is it as fun as it looks? Will I regret passing on the Ducati? Is it passable and safe for short rides on pavement? What would you do?
    Thanks in advance
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beberso View Post
    This thing looks fun!
    Questions; Is it as fun as it looks? Will I regret passing on the Ducati? Is it passable and safe for short rides on pavement? What would you do?
    Thanks in advance
    Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the TW is a fun bike to ride. You can always get a Ducati later, but the TW is better suited to your stated needs. The TW will do everything except extended highway speeds.

Brian

I have a BSA victor (441) in the garage, needs work and it’s a PIA to kick start.
    I haven’t ridden on the road in years, and I’m down from 165lbs when I was in my 20’s to about 150 now, but I still have great balance and I work out daily.
    I've been thinking about getting a bike to commute to my office which is maybe 3-4 miles of non-freeway roads, and to play around on dirt roads or on the farm.
    I’ve been looking at the 800cc Ducati Icon Scrambler and thinking hard about getting one then I ran across a TW200. The Ducati is about 400lbs wet, the TW is under 300.
    This thing looks fun!
    Thanks in advance

A NORTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now there's a man after my own heart! I've had four Nortons. Three 750's and one 850. All were Commandos. Man, I loved those bikes. I look for one every now and then but, even if and when I see one, it's usually restored which, looks outstanding but, for the $8K plus that they're asking, I have to walk away.

Anyway,
    First off, REALIZE that, the TW is ONLY a 200 cc bike. I too am 67 but, a bit more in the weight department. I'm hovering the 240 lb. range and at present (shrinking I think), I'm 6' 2.5" tall. So, I'm a tad bit large for that size of a bike but, I love that little thing. You ask about short stints on the pavement. Of course it will. I did a thread a couple months back asking about what folks are comfortable with speeds on a bone stock TW. The answers came back all over the place. I myself, and apparently a few others, are quite comfortable with around a cruising speed of 40-45, with stock gearing of 14-50. Yes, as you can read, many push the upper limits of that small TW engine to 65 mph. Not me. it's a choice thing. You have to realize it's not a rocket ship either. It's not too bad at getting up to speed in my opinion. I've also have an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing if I want to rocket around and, cruise at 65-75-85 all cay long.

I purchased our '07 TW a couple of months ago and, with only 587 miles on it. Needless to say, it had been sitting for 5 years + and, needed quite a bit of TLC to nurse it back to health. But, that took me about a week and a half. Ever since, it's been running like a sewing machine. I have ran that bike, with my lard butt on it, where we live, right here in Lake Havasu city AZ (around 400' in elevation), and, places like Ouray CO where the elevation where I rode was around 7,500' and, it still ran like a top. I have a ball on that bike. Being that you've got experience on much faster and more comfortable bikes, the smartest thing you can do is, go take a test drive on one. And, if you're permitted to do so, take it for a LONG test drive like, oh, maybe at least a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes so you'll experience how it would be in comfort for that long. And, also if permitted, do run it in some form of off road, also to see how it acts.

In the short time I've owned mine, I've ran it in multiple kinds of off road terrain and so far, I've got ZERO complaints. The good thing about the TW is, there's always some for sale, someplace. Yamaha's been making the TW for almost 30 years. For some odd reason, Yamaha still puts a carburetor on it. Yet, Yamaha's got tiny scooters and many of their lineup that's fuel injected. Anyway, you'll be really happy with it, based on your age.
    Scott

IMG_1349.JPGIMG_1271.JPGIMG_1005.JPG
    Last edited by FIRE UP; 10-09-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

And if you commute to work five days of seven, it will kindly remove about three bucks from your pocket each week.
    Unless you are not able to overpower the handlebars when it wants for an off road excursion on your way home in the evening, then maybe four pics of George worth of fun!

Marty
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Welcome to the forum!!
    I have a BSA victor (441) in the garage, needs work and it’s a PIA to kick start.
    I haven’t ridden on the road in years, and I’m down from 165lbs when I was in my 20’s to about 150 now, but I still have great balance and I work out daily.
    I’ve been looking at the 800cc Ducati Icon Scrambler and thinking hard about getting one then I ran across a TW200. The Ducati is about 400lbs wet, the TW is under 300.
    This thing looks fun!
    Thanks in advance
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Both great bikes. If cost and depreciation is a concern for you, go with the TW. Plus ease of maintenance and parts availability favor the TW IMO.
    littletommy likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure those two bikes are really comparable

With that said, both are super cool! I'd love to own one of the Scramblers one day. The TW was my choice on getting back into riding. It's incredibly affordable. It's super easy to maintain (essentially you have 35 years of parts), really easy to ride, and a blast whether on or off-road.

The Ducati is a best in comparison, and a totally different monster in regards to maintenance. The service intervals for Ducati are significantly more complex, not to mention much more modern and difficult to do on your own (well, I'll speak for my non-mechanic self). Like others mentioned, you can always get the Ducati later ... or the TW later. Both would be excellent bikes for totally different purposes.

Good luck making your decision.
    littletommy likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

You're going to need both of them to be completely happy!
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Welcome beberso, also 67 here and we rode many of the same bikes along the way. I would dump the one lung BSA 441 in a heartbeat just to save your kicking leg. They were monster bikes at the local hill climbs but not much good for anything else. Depending upon condition it could easily finance the purchase of a new TW because they are rather cultish machines much like the Norton Commandos.
    I vote a big yes on the TW200 simply because this is a bike you actually already know pretty well. Carbs should not scare you and the basic maintenance required with the TW is old school for you. If you decide to go for a new TW i have a couple recommendations when you work the deal. Have the dealer swap the front tire for one that is more road and trail ready before you leave the shop. I would also purchase and have it installed right from the get go a DID VX chain and let the dealer keep the garbage roller one the TW comes with. This way your sprockets wear together with a high quality chain that needs very little adjusting and maintenance, good for at least 10K miles with little concern. With the TW you won't be popping wheelies much and you won't be first on race day but you will get just about anywhere you point it and feel like you are back on a 30+ year old bike because you are on a 30+ year old bike. Not much change with the TW ever since 1987 and many of the parts throughout the entire 32 year model run are interchangeable. Keep ethanol gas out of it if possible and forget about pulling every last ounce of power out of the tiny engine because there really isn't much more to be found. You will be in great company here on this forum and many of us are your age and older. Any questions will be answered in short order and all of us can help you spend lots of your money on hundreds of farkles to make the bike just what you want.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I, like tylermoney and I'm sure many others, bought a TW200 to get back into riding. My hope was that it would encourage my wife as well as father in law to consider riding again. They have zero interest and in the short time I owned the TW, I realized I needed something with a bit more power and better on road. And I'm currently maintaining a one bike stable so adding to isn't an option for me currently.

Since you're familiar and comfortable with Euro bikes, how about a Husqvarna SVARTPILEN 401 for something in the middle? Good deals to be had on them now they reduced pricing. On my shortlist currently.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links