FINALLY picked up a TW!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: FINALLY picked up a TW!

FINALLY picked up a TW!

After a few years of thinking about a TW, and off and on looking for one, I finally picked one up at Barber last weekend.

It's a 2009 with 3700 miles and in my opinion is in very good shape. He was asking $2950. Although, I'd been thinking about buying one for a long time, and even had a Craigslist email notification set up so I'd see what popped up in my area, I wasn't really planning to buy a bike at Barber, and wasn't really looking for a TW at all while there. But, my cousin alerted me to it when he ran across one for sale. While I was looking the bike over, my cousin spoke up and said, "All bullshit aside, what's your real number on the bike?" The guy thought for a second then replied, "I guess I'd take twenty five".

DANG! :hmmmmm That was the magic number that I had in my head, so I just couldn't pass it up!

It also came with a few add-ons like Pro Taper SE Raptor ATV bars, bar risers, Moose Expedition rack, MSR shift lever, larger pegs, a pair of Acerbis barkbusters, and a factory service manual. The bark busters where in a box with miscellaneous original parts and such. They were pretty beat up so I'm assuming they'd previously been used on another bike as their condition didn't match the rest of this bike. They're not in the photos below as they weren't installed when I bought it, but I sanded the worst of the gouges out and installed them last night. Still not pretty, but serviceable and good enough. :thumb The guy I got it from bought it as a camp bike for the back of his motor home. He didn't use it much as he decided it wasn't what he wanted. He now wants a Big Ruckus for his purposes. The bike must have belonged to a big guy before the guy I bought it from as it has the ATV bars and risers. They were too high for me so I removed the risers after the photos were taken. They're JUST right now. Same with the shifter... it was too long for my feet, so I installed an IMS shifter last night and it's just right.

The bike will do 70 flat out, and will do 60 relatively comfortably. But, it seems happiest between 45 and 55. I have a new 47 tooth sprocket and X-ring chain to install this weekend. Also have a new Uni filter and Procycle jet kit so I'll get around to tinkering with the carb at some point.

The only issue that really bothers me is the clutch. It has to be the worst clutch I've ever experienced! It engages very late in lever travel and has a very short range of effectiveness. It's very difficult to shift smoothly. Especially from first to second. I have it properly adjusted but it just sucks. I thought at first that maybe the PO had just fried it and that I'd need to replace it soon. But it doesn't slip. And I've read a few posts on the subject on here, and it seems to be a common thing with these bikes. Does anyone have anything contrary to say in that regard? Is there anything that can be done to improve it? :ear

Anyway, here's the bike the night I got it home and gave it a quick bath...

And here it is on it's first shakedown ride...

Oh, and as everyone says, the Deathwing has to go!! Have a new Shinko 241 to install this weekend as well...

Errtu, TW-Brian, Darth and 6 others like this.

Looks Great and good price too, Congrats! You'll be a happy camper with the Dub and the new way better/safer front tire.
    littletommy likes this.

The only issue that really bothers me is the clutch
    My previous 2013 was the exact same way, no way around it, as far as I know. Drove me bananas, so you may have to live with it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The only change to the clutch that might provide a little (and I mean probably not noticeable depending on the bike and the person), is to upgrade the clutch springs to the stiffer ones:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-set-p?v=15039

Other than that, good adjustments and keep that clutch cable lubed up, that's about the best you can do.
    YamTW87 and littletommy like this.

Maybe the slack needs to be adjusted out of the cable. Check both ends for this.

You can also drill/file your lever to change the leverage point.
    https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...lever-mod.html
    It will make a longer slip zone and even easier pull. It will require a full pull to completely disengage but it will offer a lot of slipping control...or buy an aftermarket lever that does the same thing.

I find the gear shifting on the TW is largely effect by RPMs and if you are too high in the revs even trying to switch from 1st to 2nd it wants to keep engaged and makes smooth gear switching a bit tricky. For instance switching up the gears going downhill can require some braking.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 10-13-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Darth likes this.

Thanks for the replies. I also posted to the TW thread over on Advrider and received a few responses. Based on that, and since I had no idea what the PO's had used, I did an oil change using Mobil 1 10W40. I also adjusted almost all slack out the the cable. It seems a little better but still not what I'm used to... The clutch just engages much later than what I'd consider "normal" for most bikes. I'm just riding it as is, and trying to get used to it. Worse case, the clutch is shot... If that's the case, eventually it'll start slipping. I'll replace when and if necessary.

In the meantime, had a chance to get a few things done on the bike...

I installed a 47 tooth rear sprocket and X-ring chain today...

Also a Shinko 241 with Michelin ULTRA heavy duty tube. And when they say ultra, they mean it! This thing is almost as thick as the tire! Hopefully it'll prove puncture and pinch resistant.

I'm guessing that it's the heavy tube, or maybe the tire... or probably a combination of the two, but a shortish test ride revealed a little wheel hop. Not horrible, but slightly perceptible. I normally balance my bike tires, but with the low speeds of this bike I didn't bother. Looks like I'll be pulling it off again once I get some decent clip on spoke type wheel weights. Don't want to waste my good lead stick-ons that I use on bikes with cast wheels.

Also got the worst of the gouges sanded out of the hand guards, and installed them a couple nights ago... Not pretty, but serviceable.

Also have a DG exhaust inbound. I know it serves no real purpose. But I like the looks, and the back to back sound comparo that TDubskid did sure sounded better than the wheezy stock exhaust. Once I get it installed it'll be time to dive into the carb and see what's what...

Overall it's a cool little bike. Really enjoying the low seat height and weight. Makes for a very confidence inspiring little runabout.

Thanks for the replies. I also posted to the TW thread over on Advrider and received a few responses. Based on that, and since I had no idea what the PO's had used, I did an oil change using Mobil 1 10W40. I also adjusted almost all slack out the the cable. It seems a little better but still not what I'm used to... The clutch just engages much later than what I'd consider "normal" for most bikes. I'm just riding it as is, and trying to get used to it. Worse case, the clutch is shot... If that's the case, eventually it'll start slipping. I'll replace when and if necessary.

In the meantime, had a chance to get a few things done on the bike...

I installed a 47 tooth rear sprocket and X-ring chain today...

Also a Shinko 241 with Michelin ULTRA heavy duty tube. And when they say ultra, they mean it! This thing is almost as thick as the tire! Hopefully it'll prove puncture and pinch resistant.

I'm guessing that it's the heavy tube, or maybe the tire... or probably a combination of the two, but a shortish test ride revealed a little wheel hop. Not horrible, but slightly perceptible. I normally balance my bike tires, but with the low speeds of this bike I didn't bother. Looks like I'll be pulling it off again once I get some decent clip on spoke type wheel weights. Don't want to waste my good lead stick-ons that I use on bikes with cast wheels.

Also got the worst of the gouges sanded out of the hand guards, and installed them a couple nights ago... Not pretty, but serviceable.

Also have a DG exhaust inbound. I know it serves no real purpose. But I like the looks, and the back to back sound comparo that TDubskid did sure sounded better than the wheezy stock exhaust. Once I get it installed it'll be time to dive into the carb and see what's what...

Overall it's a cool little bike. Really enjoying the low seat height and weight. Makes for a very confidence inspiring little runabout.
    littletommy and Darth like this.

Your clutch is probably fine. Yes, the TW has a very narrow friction zone but you will get used to it. The Mobil 1 will improve it some so keep using it.
    Imaposer and Darth like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Looks great and congrats.
    As far as the clutch goes beside stiffer springs and adjustment, face facts that this is the ultimate bargain-basement motorcycle that Yamaha makes/sells so don't expect a WR250 or KTM feel to your clutch. I know after riding my XR250 for awhile and then switching to the TW I sometimes think something is wrong/out of whack.
    If you can find or know someone in your area that owns a TW see if you can compare with theirs before going nuts adjusting.

3700 miles is a relatively new bike so I doubt the clutch would be fried unless the PO abused it and it sure doesn't look that way. If you happen to decide to add a kick-starter kit (one of the few bikes made that you can still easily do this and a popular mod here on the forum) you can add stiffer springs then.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Ride Safe.
    Last edited by stagewex; 10-14-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    Darth likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Looks great and congrats.
    As far as clutch goes beside stiffer springs and adjustment face facts that this is the ultimate bargain-basement motorcycle that Yamaha makes/sells so don't expect WR250 or KTM feel to your clutch. If you can find or know someone in your area that owns one see if you can compare with theirs before going nuts adjusting.

3700 miles is a relatively new bike so I doubt there clutch is fried unless the PO abused it and it sure doesn't look that way. If you happen to decide to add a kick-starter kit (one of the few bikes made that you can still do this and a popular mod here on the forum) you can add stiffer springs then.

Good Luck and ride safe.
    Well, I wasn't expecting perfection. But, I've ridden a LOT of bikes, including some real budget jobs, and I can't remember anything with a clutch this bad. The bike definitely hasn't been abused. But a newb can do a lot of damage to a clutch in short order so you never really know... It doesn't slip though, and I've had several replies that it's just the way they are. I guess that in time I'll recalibrate my left hand and get used to it...

I would LOVE to add a kick starter! Back when I first became interested in a TW that was my plan for certain. But, this time around, when I started looking into them again, I learned that the kits were no longer available. If anyone knows differently, please let me know where they can be found.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links