What have you done with your TW today? - Page 524
Close

Page 524 of 526 FirstFirst ... 24424474514522523524525526 LastLast
Results 5,231 to 5,240 of 5255
Like Tree12485Likes

Thread: What have you done with your TW today?

Quote Originally Posted by reddave View Post
    Using some heat did occur to me, however, I don't own a heat gun and I was nervous about using the propane torch...
    Hey Reddave...if you get caught out like that again, just borrow your wife's electric hair dryer. Should work fine in this application.
    If she does not have one, tell her you're going to get her one or better, surprise her with one.
    Only get a heat gun instead. Tell her it's a top of the line model so be careful and use it sparingly.
    Then you can borrow her "hair dryer" whenever needed.
    And you will be a real thoughtful hero-hubby and score lots of brownie points!

Let us know how that works out...
    reddave likes this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Fortunately, I am single at the moment. Unfortunately, I am also bald. Therefore, no hairdryer in sight!!!
    1987 Yamaha TW200

GOF
    Go to the store. Give the man some money. He'll let you take a heat gun home.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Scoob has been sick almost all spring and summer so it was time to finish making him feel all better.

For those of you who had the chance to ride behind me you know he was feeling ill. This is after I cleaned all the carbon off the top of the piston

Had to preform a little open heart surgery

Honed the cylinder and put in new piston and rings. Next time, if I have too, I'll bore out the cylinder and put a bigg'in in. For now, it's just replace the old with the new

Fresh makeup

...and ready for sea-trials to make sure Scoob isn't running like a 2-stroke pouring smoke all over the trail. Oh, and to make sure there ain't any leaks. First startup and short run down to the mailbox didn't show any signs of leaks. Now it's time to apply a little stress to make sure there's no runs, drips or errors.
    GOF, Mrs. Admiral, SanDue and 6 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Lookin' good!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Ken
    I just rode my little route to work but today I passed up the 46,000 mile mark.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

Changed my oil and oil filter yesterday (800mi since last change) and also cleaned my chain (1wk since last chain cleaning). Then rode to meet a friend to do some bouldering at a local climbing gym. Twus nice.

Question: Best way to clean the stock oil filter if you don't want to replace it every time. Thus far I have replaced it on all changes, but now that it's really getting broken in, I think I can make it a few changes before having to change out the liter again. Can I just cleaned with water and let it dry?

Also, this is the 3rd oil change since I have had the bike. Did one at 600, then again at about 1800. Then today at around 2600. I had metal in the filter for the first two. There was very little if any noticeable this third time; however, I did see metal in the primary oil after I drained it. A decent amount of it. The bike seems to be running okay and seemed like the clutch is a bit "smoother" after this most recent change. Just wasn't expecting to still have that much metal come out with the drained oil.
    Last edited by tylermoney; 09-13-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I just rode my little route to work but today I passed up the 46,000 mile mark.
    If you don't mind, how much money did you put into service/maintenance during that time period? I doubt I will ever put that many miles on mine, but I'd sure like to.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

There is really no reason to ever change the oil filter from the original stock one, you clean it in kerosene with a soft bristle brush and shake it out. Not sure what oil you are using but I would be using Mobil 1 4T full synthetic in your TW. Some metal will always find its way out of the sump on every change but it gets much less each time. Many of us wish there was some way to completely flush the entire oil sump but I never heard of a way to do it without splitting the cases. Most of this metal is just left over debris from the machining process that flakes off the gears and other internal parts and it should all be caught by the filter or the drain screen.

GaryL
    tylermoney likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    There is really no reason to ever change the oil filter from the original stock one, you clean it in kerosene with a soft bristle brush and shake it out. Not sure what oil you are using but I would be using Mobil 1 4T full synthetic in your TW. Some metal will always find its way out of the sump on every change but it gets much less each time. Many of us wish there was some way to completely flush the entire oil sump but I never heard of a way to do it without splitting the cases. Most of this metal is just left over debris from the machining process that flakes off the gears and other internal parts and it should all be caught by the filter or the drain screen.

GaryL
    Thanks GaryL. That's what I kinda figured from following other posts regarding the metal shavings, but it was more so for the filter vs. the drain plug, but that makes sense. That also makes sense with the filter, and is good to know. I am a professional over thinker though, so I always appreciate the reassurance. I'm loving this bike, and trying to maintain it better than my previous bikes. I'm gaining more confidence on doing my own maintenance with this bike being so easy to work on.

I'll be swapping out my chain and sprockets here in the next several weeks, so that will be the biggest thing I've done to date.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Sponosred Links