What have you done with your TW today? - Page 534
Close

Page 534 of 537 FirstFirst ... 34434484524532533534535536 ... LastLast
Results 5,331 to 5,340 of 5361
Like Tree12701Likes

Thread: What have you done with your TW today?

Quote Originally Posted by fmxr47 View Post
    I had the luxury of push starting mine this morning, new battery still doesn’t like the cool mornings and it wasn’t even that cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the same thing going on. Come to find out the starter shaft seal had failed and my starter was full of oil. The commutator brushes were toast as well. Ordered a "new" starter from Amazon. I think was something like 87 bucks. Works great so far, but only have had it in there a couple months.
    fmxr47 likes this.
    2012 Yamaha TW200
    2018 BMW R9T Pure
    2017 Honda Africa Twin

Made a new trail and bent my shift lever on it. Win some you loose some. But this is the final straw....IMS 317314 folding lever ordered!
    littletommy, ejfranz, Ken and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    Made a new trail and bent my shift lever on it. Win some you loose some. But this is the final straw....IMS 317314 folding lever ordered!
    PS, don't go riding with Fred or you could rip that new shift lever right off.

GaryL
    ejfranz, admiral, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    I let mine stay warm in the garage today. Since I have been riding the TW most of the time I took the Radian out for a spin since it hasn't been ridden in a while.
    littletommy likes this.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Ken
    I changed the left side crankcase cover today. I've had an oil leak I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I decided to change it since I had a gasket still here from a complete gasket kit I ordered before, I had used most of it. The old gasket was so bad it fell apart like old tar paper when you open up a wall. I know it had to have been leaking but I don't know yet if that was all of my problem. I let my daughter drive it up and down the street to test it out. It was running good. Thanks to the forum I just layed the bike over on its side so I lost no oil and it was much easier just laying the stator cover on the bike than trying to strap the stator cover up. I recently did an oil change so there was no need to change it again. My TW is my primary transportation to and from work so I have to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I changed the left side crankcase cover today. I've had an oil leak I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I decided to change it since I had a gasket still here from a complete gasket kit I ordered before, I had used most of it. The old gasket was so bad it fell apart like old tar paper when you open up a wall. I know it had to have been leaking but I don't know yet if that was all of my problem. I let my daughter drive it up and down the street to test it out. It was running good. Thanks to the forum I just layed the bike over on its side so I lost no oil and it was much easier just laying the stator cover on the bike than trying to strap the stator cover up. I recently did an oil change so there was no need to change it again. My TW is my primary transportation to and from work so I have to keep it going.
    The myth of oil loss on the left side engine cover (or possible myth).

Not long ago I couldn't remove my oil drain plug to change the oil. I did need to change output counter-shaft drive seal so I "had" to remove the left side cover. I had the TW on the maintenance stand and said to myself "self, just let the oil run out of the side-cover". Well, to my surprise, almost no, that's right, no oil came out when I removed the left side-cover (with the TW upright). Well, I was shocked! Every thread I read about removing the left side-cover said lean the bike over on it's right side for no loss of oil.

There was a few drops as one would expect but not the gusher of oil I had expected. As I looked and studied the no oil gusher issue I thought, "Well, maybe I'm outta or low on oil". Not true. As I studied the left side, it looks like there is no where for oil to drain out of the engine if the left side-cover is taken off and the drain plug IS still on. Again, there is a few drops from places but not like if you're changing the oil and removing the oil drain plug.

IMG_2190.jpg

This is not true on if the right side-cover is removed however. You can see there is a large passage for oil to drain out below the oil pump gear (white-ish nylon or plastic gear).
    IMG_2191.jpg

So, my moral to the story is, I think you don't have to lean the TW over if you take off the left side-cover but you do have to lean it over if removing the right side-cover (if you don't or can't drain the oil out first).
    TW-Brian, Ken, GaryL and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

We also lost no oil when removing left side cover on Dan's bike to free up his jammed drive chain. Had to do it since he was blocking the trail.
    admiral and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    The myth of oil loss on the left side engine cover (or possible myth).

Not long ago I couldn't remove my oil drain plug to change the oil. I did need to change output counter-shaft drive seal so I "had" to remove the left side cover. I had the TW on the maintenance stand and said to myself "self, just let the oil run out of the side-cover". Well, to my surprise, almost no, that's right, no oil came out when I removed the left side-cover (with the TW upright). Well, I was shocked! Every thread I read about removing the left side-cover said lean the bike over on it's right side for no loss of oil.

There was a few drops as one would expect but not the gusher of oil I had expected. As I looked and studied the no oil gusher issue I thought, "Well, maybe I'm outta or low on oil". Not true. As I studied the left side, it looks like there is no where for oil to drain out of the engine if the left side-cover is taken off and the drain plug IS still on. Again, there is a few drops from places but not like if you're changing the oil and removing the oil drain plug.

IMG_2190.jpg

This is not true on if the right side-cover is removed however. You can see there is a large passage for oil to drain out below the oil pump gear (white-ish nylon or plastic gear).
    IMG_2191.jpg

So, my moral to the story is, I think you don't have to lean the TW over if you take off the left side-cover but you do have to lean it over if removing the right side-cover (if you don't or can't drain the oil out first).
    That is good to know and a very nice write up. After flipping the bike over it made the stator cover with the wires so easy to just flip instead of tying it up I would do it again though. Since I have the agm battery with no tube on it I didn't even remove the battery and even worse I didn't even unhook it.
    admiral likes this.

Put a new LED headlight bulb in... its very bright...

FA4E691A-4413-4C97-BF02-4E3A9D0980AA_1574139393027.jpeg
    Donzo and Fred like this.

Maybe today?

Been tinkering for about a week now, some waiting for parts. Started last week with the chain, spark plug and air filter. Plug looked black, but not crusty. Opened air box and it was full of cat food! It seemed to be running pretty good so I took a short shake down ride later in the day. Ended up in the dark as it took a little longer . Found out a lot more issues that needed addressed. First, the head light was aimed at the moon, easy fix. Back brake was out of adjustment more than I thought. Engine seemed raspier than it should. So back on my home made stand for more R&R. The back brake pedal hight adjuster had been tinkered with and needed replaced correctly. Brake lever at hub was also out of adjustment. Adjusted free play and brake light switch.....sooomuch better. Lubed all cables and adjusted all free play. Found clutch switch latch point was broken causing switch to slide out. Fixed with shim at latching point in perch. New front brake perch showed up, so on it went. Had trouble with throttle and brush guard. Also ordered a new LED speedometer bulb (light blue), looks good. Time will tell if I love it. After all of that, I also wanted to check out some of the engine adjustments. Rechecked spark plug, looked much better...not black. Valve clearances checked out. But, cam chain adjustment was way out of spec. I found the shaft pin was at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch below top of adjustment screw. Took her for a short ride in the back yard and I think the engine sounded much better and all controls were back to what my muscle memory responded to from years ago. Had a couple of beers after what I believed was a successful R&R. Later that day I did a repair to the CT90 carb. Will test it out in a few days to see how I did. Oh...left out embarrassing part of ride......the left grip was also out of adjustment for me. So...I honked at a few people.....aughhhhh!!!!
    Last edited by WILDKROG; 11-19-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    ZXtasy likes this.

Sponosred Links