TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

What have you done with your TW today?

1M views 9K replies 831 participants last post by  NorthernSpy 
#1 ·
I snagged this idea from the other forum I check daily (www.infamousnissan.com) because it is super popular there.

I replaced my old grips with a nice set of Pro Grip 714s ($9.99 shipped from www.motorcycle-superstore.com), swapped out my fuel petcock because it was nearly impossible to switch positions (Yamaha part for $17.49 shipped from eBay) and changed my spark plug just because I wanted to (NGK D8EA for $1.92 from Advance Auto Parts).

Then I went for a small ride with 2 friends. It was cold but nice to get out on the road again.

#8,833 ·
Been a busy few days here at Admiral's Port Headquarters as we're getting ready for our next adventure.
Finally changed out the leaky output shaft seal. I'd have a drop or 3 on the shop floor after every ride so I figured it was time to replace it. I wiped it clean to clear any debris from the seal a few months back hoping that would stop the leak but it reappeared a couple of weeks later. I could have waited but since I wasn't taking a nap I thought I'd swap it out!

Replaced (4) broken spokes on the "skinny tire conversion" rim as well. After replacing the spokes I "trued" the rim laterally as well. Radially the rim is spot-on true. Since I had to replace the worn 12T sprocket with a 14T (no 13T's available yet and is my preference for front sprocket size) I also replaced the 50T rear (shown in the picture) with a 55T I had on the shelf. Needed to put a longer chain on as well. Everything now works as it should and is ready for adventure.

A couple of non-TW things, Sunday we had a big wind storm (very little rain). Must have been the same system Mistervelocity experienced at Griffith Ranch on his shakedown ride. Blew some tree's down near home with almost every road blocked. Power was out for 8-10 hours and found out my emergency electrical generator cord hardwired to the house didn't fit our new emergency generator. The generator has multiple plugin receptacles just not the one we needed. Mrs. Admiral has ordered the proper adapter so "next time" we'll be prepared better.
Damage survey patrol on the XT350

Top of a tree launched and speared right into the ground like an errant missile. Thankfully, our "streets" aren't that busy up here on a Sunday night.

Lots of down tree's all over the neighborhood but this is the only tree to hit a structure I could see. Thankfully, the tree landed on the front porch of this house and not the main structure.

Earlier that day (Sunday), I got to Pin Staff Sergeant (Army E-6) stripes onto my youngest son. His promotion was actually in January but he knew I wanted to be there and talked his command into waiting until we returned from our winter/spring trip before the "pinning ceremony".

A couple of things I was unaware of until now was his unit was attached to the Historic 101st Airborne Division when he was deployed to "stan" a few years back. He has the "Screaming Eagle" combat patch on his right shoulder. While not Airborne or Air Assault qualified, he is a flight paramedic so I think it's appropriate.
The 2nd thing I was mostly unaware of was he was awarded the Combat Medical Badge (for being in a combat situation as a medic). Like many, he doesn't talk about his wartime experiences much and he had mentioned bullets hitting the ground around his helicopter once but I was unaware of what he probably really saw and went through until his former Company Commander (who was reading his promotion bio) briefly mentioned my son's military background. He rode one of my TWs to Griffith Ranch last year with the guys so that's what I'm using as being TW related.
Yup, it's been a busy few days!

#8,835 ·
Hit 13K the other day. Bought the bike at 10K, so officially have 3K miles on the TW.
Celebrated with an oil change. (Been doing them every 1K)

#8,836 ·
Wired my Garmin Zumo 396 GPS to the TW's battery. Took it slow to make sure that the wires weren't pinched by the tank or seat. Elapsed time: about one hour. Leads for a Battery Tender had been installed by my dealer, so to simplify connecting the Zumo to the battery terminals I used spade connectors rather than ring connectors.

#8,837 ·
I enjoyed exploring the Gila on the Dubby this morning. I thought I found a fun loop over Mangas Mountain but the road was washed out 5 miles from the summit and I had to backtrack. If I had a buddy I would have tried to negotiate the wash, but given the remoteness of the trail, I was loathe to get stuck by my lonesome. I had fun!

#8,843 ·
Unexpectedly found quite a few TWs in both Cadaques, Spain and Collioure, France.

Cadaques is a town full of wealthy Barcelonans and the TW is ridden to stand apart from other scooters. Just as the restored Land Rovers, vintage 911s and English sports cars stand apart from others.

Not sure why they are popular in Collioure. But they appear more as a means of transportation.

#8,844 ·
Unexpectedly found quite a few TWs in both Cadaques, Spain and Collioure, France.

Cadaques is a town full of wealthy Barcelonans and the TW is ridden to stand apart from other scooters. Just as the restored Land Rovers, vintage 911s and English sports cars stand apart from others.

Not sure why they are popular in Collioure. But they appear more as a means of transportation.
200's or 125's?

#8,845 ·
Blue '94 got a TrailTech today. The Vapor itself is a really easy install, aside from however complicated you decide to make a mounting bracket. However, if you opt for the dashboard with the indicator lights, it's far from plug-n-play. I made it as tidy as possible and didn't make any alterations to the TW's harness. I like to keep modifications reversible if possible.

And my shop is still a mess.

#8,847 ·
Yesterday I decided to play around with some washers under the needle. I was under the impression that I had removed all shims the last time I was in the carb. I was surprised to find one still in there! I figured that two shims should be good but tossed in three total to be sure it was too much. I was correct! Experienced a very boggy ride this afternoon however, oddly enough I did notice some improved power when traveling uphill in top gear. I opened the carburetor up again upon returned and removed 1 shim for a total of two. More testing tomorrow.

#8,848 ·
I went another round today. Put in a set of RaceTech emulators. Fork oil needed to be changed anyway.

Admittedly, it could still benefit from stiffer springs (white bike already has some). I'll need to put it on the trail before I can say it was worth the money and effort.

Then I focused on the rear. I'd already installed a red spring on my stock shock. I picked up a newer, revised design from @Leisure Time Larry last winter (Thanks for your patience with me, man) and finally swapped it in.

If you're unfamiliar with the difference, here's the improvement.

See the swingarm? I busted out the eraser wheel and removed the last of the Rainbow Warrior DNA.

It's changed a bit since I dragged it home.

#8,850 ·
Thanks. Every time I think I'm done, I stumble on a forum post that costs me time and money. Y'all are the worst.

#8,851 ·
Looking forward to some ride reports!

#8,854 ·
I do. Sorry, not for sale.

#8,856 ·
Set a new high score today. TTR swap doesn't mess around.

Okay, I was going down hill...and tucked as tight against the tank as possible. But that is accurate within 1%, as verified against GPS.

Played in the hills some too.

#8,857 ·
Set a new high score today. TTR swap doesn't mess around.
View attachment 237579

Okay, I was going down hill...and tucked as tight against the tank as possible. But that is accurate within 1%, as verified against GPS.

Played in the hills some too.
View attachment 237580
I always liked the idea of a Vapor instrument panel. 77mph, wow! Should I be bringing the XT350 instead of the lowly TW on the upcoming adventure ride? I might feel lonely and left behind on my 200 with all of you guys moving up to big jug engines. :) Tusk enduro bags come in handy, don't they?
Looks like it was a good day to ride!

#8,858 ·
Yeah, I love that Tusk Traverse combo. Great for day rides. I have some items on order that will allow me to streamline my tool kit.

That is a cool feature that the Vapor has. The 3rd screen records highest temp, highest speed, and highest RPM. The downhill grade gets all the credit. I think high 60s is more honest on flat ground. It cruises pretty happily at 55-60. Your TW will be just right for the trip.

I'm feeling pretty confident with the current configuration of the blue bike. It runs great and I like the suspension and gearing. The Tusk rack is a perfect fit for the GL Great Basin. I may swap on the taller seat for the longer rides this summer.

#8,859 ·
Let the dogs chase me for a few miles yesterday to a fast flowing creek.
They had some tail wagging fun with a little soak then picked up some souvenirs to bring home.

Spine most likely simple winter kill but the fresh deer foot might be from a messy eater in the neighborhood.

#8,860 ·
We are dry right now. Creeks are running low and most every mud hole is dry. I scouted new areas of the Desoto national forest today. My cousins kid is coming over this week to ride so trails with me. I found a gully wash off one of the sandy creeks. Its a 30-40 foot deep wash out of a clay deposit. For scale of how deep this is, the stump root ball of a tree thats in the deep pools is as big around as my waist. the far bank is over ten foot. We are going to rope down and see about noodling some catfish before the rain comes at the end of the week.

#8,862 ·
Took a Dual Sport / ADV skills course over the weekend with the TW, really boosted some basic positioning and control skills. Day 1 was skills practice and Day 2 was a Simcoe Forest ride across some of the various trails up here in Ontario. Great fun and essential skills for relatively new offroad riders like me.

Cool!! Looks beautiful up there! Get some rides in, and get us some pics. :cool:

Have you invested in any taller bars, or bar risers? You look a bit maxed out....can see it in your arms & shoulders. Or you could lean over just a tad.

#8,863 ·
I do have bars/risers which made a huge difference. By that point in the day I had already realized how bad my posture was standing (big time quad burn), and had spent a couple hours getting a better hip bend sorted. I am probably maxxed out just trying to stand straight for a breather before I went back to torturing myself :)

Eventually I found the sweet spot with a better lean over the bars while keeping centered over my knees to prevent my quads from becoming jelly. A continued lesson to practice as I get some more rides in.

#8,864 ·
Took the Tdub out for an early morning Father's day fishing session. Started out wet but turned out to be nice and dry at my destination.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Plant community

And caught dinner as a bonus!

Organism Fin Fish Tail Ray-finned fish