TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Electric face shield

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  TWBigBlake 
#1 ·
I have a Bell MX-9 Adventure helmet, and with plans to ride even as it gets colder, was wondering if any of the forum members have used electric face shields before? How are they with fogging? Obviously geared towards snowy conditions, how does it do in just regular cold weather conditions?

The one for the MX-9 is $99, just wondering if it's worth the money?

#2 · (Edited)
If you are cold enough, it's probably worth it. I ride during the winter if the streets are not icy, but I'm behind a big ol windshield. I'd look at a Cyclegear store near you and get one of their cold weather face masks or turtleneck-like neck warmers that you can pull up over your nose... They are much cheaper.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Yea that's why I wanted to ask, it's mainly for fog reduction during the cold months. I see it as a worthwhile investment, just wanted to make sure the quality is there... only thing I'm worried about are some reviews and forum posts about the power plug falling out constantly, but I'm sure I can engineer a solution for that.

#5 ·
I picked up a few different neck gaiters, one I was familiar with the in the army, and a couple newfangled things, they def help with the cold on the neck, one seems like a legit neck gaiter, thick, and kind of restricts breathing a little... the other has a mouth vent so it doesn't sort the fogging completely. With a normal shield, I'm just learning it's steady cleaning and prep that'll get you as good as you can go without some crazy solution.

#6 ·
Tried out the electric face shield...

... it does two things, and it does them very well...

1. Prevents fogging on the face shield... no amount of hot air will defeat it... it does what it came to do, defeat any and all moisture from collecting on the face shield with extreme prejudice.

2. It gets warm... then it gets warmer... then the sweat comes... your head is now trapped in a fog less desert, just like you wanted, all the void-of-fog-padded-real-estate you can handle... then it gets warmer... you begin praying for a frozen wasteland to appear, the ice wall from game of thrones to collapse on you, to be stranded on the snowy plains of Greenland at night in January...

I made a terrible mistake test riding when it's like 60 degrees outside... it will be wonderful when it's really cold, had to mod a cable for an easy SAE connection instead of hooking directly to battery.

Man that thing gets hot. Gonna love it as the temp drops over the next month.

Wire Technology Electronic device Cable Gadget

Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Automotive design Headgear

#7 ·
They work very well. The above post is just absurd. Why would you use it at 60 degrees. I have been using them for years on bikes, atvs, and snowmobiles. And of course below freezing only. coldest I have used one is 35 below and it was still clear with no signs of vision issues.

#8 · (Edited)
Cool.

It's not absurd when you are modifying cables and testing it to make sure it worked... most of that post was in jest, because (as you are someone who has used them before) they are not designed to be used at 60 degrees, but I'm also not going to wait after soldering and heat shrinking connections, until the day it gets cold to find out how it works and if it works... as someone who has never used an electric face shield before.

This post was also for others who haven't used one of these devices (like me) who might be curious how they work.

I know it's tough sometimes, but remember there are people out there who haven't been riding their whole life and have experience with every riding product on the market.

#9 ·
Interesting. After trying the mx9 on and really liking the fit, pretty sure it'll be my next lid.

I've wondered about the heated face shields after only having a motorcycle my first winter here and riding down into the teens to commute. My damn face would get cold even in a balaclava and scarf. Fogging was awful at those temperatures. (different helmet)

That being said, I wonder if it would help prevent fogging with eye glasses on as well.

#10 ·
That I can speak to... it does not help with the glasses initially unless you have treated them (I treat mine with Rainex), however... once untreated glasses have warmed up, the heat from the face shield helps keep moisture from condensing on your lenses.

But initially, untreated glasses will still fog up a little.

#13 ·
That's a good point, I'm pretty sure I experienced peak heat, it was just too warm outside to use it for very long.

Still, doesn't mean I shouldn't throw a switch or fuse on it, you think straight battery connection would vary in voltage enough to warrant a rheostat? Or you mean just as a precaution in case it pushes too much and keeps the helmet from melting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.