The kid is down!
Close

My youngest loves riding on the back of my KLR, so I got her a 2008 TW for her 16th. My wife says I did it for purely selfish reasons and she is probably right, but that is totally beside the point.

So with the first signs of Spring, we were off to the local school to start with some start/stop drills and such. I was so proud of how quickly she picked up the whole routine. The bike is so easy to control and with such low gearing she can practice shifting without needing to go uncomfortably fast. Still, it had to happen eventually and after a missed downshift, she did a super-slow left side drop and was tossed a few feet across the parking lot. I watched with much concern from a distance while she pulled herself up and sat there. Then she looked at me and gave two thumbs up. I love that girl.

Anywho, it looks like we have a fun Summer ahead. I hope y'all do, too!

Falling is a part of the learning process. I was scared to fall, but once I did, falling became easier! Truthfully, knowing how to fall correctly is important. I would hate to fall at high speed on the pavement, but I have wiped out in the dirt. Knowing how to lay the bike over, what to steer clear of, and knowing to not stick an arm out is important to know. Luckily I haven't been hurt.

Falling and giving two thumbs up? She's hooked on riding then. Good for her.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Sounds like she's on her way, good for both of you!
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

How fun! My oldest boy just turned 14.. He rides with me off road, but I can't wait til he's 16 and I can get him a TW! They grow up way to fast as it is, so I'm not wishin too hard that he was 16 already... Have fun riding with your daughter!!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

I noticed you also live in Northern Virginia, home to hundreds of distracted drivers. I hope you can will consider signing your daughter up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course, even if she won't be driving the TW on the roads. Money and time well-spent for those you love.

I required my three sons to complete the 2-day MSF safety course at the local community college before they could operate a motorcycle, scooter, or drive a car.

I truly believe the MSF course made them better and more confident motorcycle riders, on road, off road, and as a driver behind the wheel of a car.

The course makes you more aware of what your bike will do, what it won't do, and what others on the road are probably doing (texting, eating, day-dreaming, whatever)

Son #2 had to complete his course during 2 days of rain (they don't cancel due to inclement weather), so he has more experience and confidence in wet and poor visibility conditions than most motorcycle riders twice his age.

He is 23 years old now and has had no at-fault accidents in seven years. The only accident he was involved in was caused by a young girl speeding on the interstate----she hit the guard rail first and then careened into my son's and another driver's cars------it wasn't hard for the trooper to figure out who was at fault, but luckily no one was killed.

Ride often and ride safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellmoney View Post
    I noticed you also live in Northern Virginia, home to hundreds of distracted drivers. I hope you can will consider signing your daughter up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course, even if she won't be driving the TW on the roads. Money and time well-spent for those you love.
    Yup, I took it at Mason and she'll be signed up as soon as summer rolls around. It was a great course for me. I had ridden back in the old days, but I sure needed a refresher. We are using the MSF course guide as we work on skills so she will be better prepared when the class begins. They have an all-women's class that I'll get her into if it isn't full. Meanwhile, she isn't riding off the parking lot and dirt field. She is in the midst of driver's ed at school and driving me around in the car, so it's all part of the whole.

So where do you ride in Reston? Any nice trails out there? I'm in West Springfield and we have nothing fun off-road

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mrbracket View Post
    They grow up way to fast as it is, so I'm not wishin too hard that he was 16 already...
    They grow up way too fast, though aren't they fun to be around at this age? I've got another in college and I miss her way too much. On the other hand, I get to ride up to the mountains of PA to visit and that is an awesome perk!

BTW, the ProBend handguards I got from ProCycle saved the day when she hit the deck. Just a little scuff to show off to her friends. Good stuff y'all have there. Thanks.

Bob

Right on!!! sounds like your daughter is a pretty confident rider already. Most people would get scared from a crash and for your duaghter to get up and keep going shows her drive. very cool. I took the MSF course at SRT (saddle back rider training) it was an awesome school and the teachers are the most down to earth people you can meet. i really enjoyed that course and I think its well worth it.
    ALEX-

My Current Rides:

DIRT:
    2013 yz450F (race bike)
    2011 Yz450F (practice bike)
    2008 Yz250F (full mod)
    2005 TTR125 (full mod Gf's bike)

Street:
    2009 DRZ400SM (full mod)
    2009 qlink XF200 (sumo build)
    2007 SDG 140cc big bore (supermoto)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by inhousebob View Post
    Yup, I took it at Mason and she'll be signed up as soon as summer rolls around. It was a great course for me. I had ridden back in the old days, but I sure needed a refresher. We are using the MSF course guide as we work on skills so she will be better prepared when the class begins. They have an all-women's class that I'll get her into if it isn't full. Meanwhile, she isn't riding off the parking lot and dirt field. She is in the midst of driver's ed at school and driving me around in the car, so it's all part of the whole.

So where do you ride in Reston? Any nice trails out there? I'm in West Springfield and we have nothing fun off-road

Bob

No trails in urban Reston----my TW has TW203/TW204 tires for the Route 7 trips to work in Tysons or day rides West to Loudoun county.

I do take the bike with me when we go camping up to Shenandoah River State Park, but still nothing as challenging or exciting as some of the Western TW-riders.

Around town, I often just jump on my Zuma-50 or Vino-125 to run errands---those little scooters always give me a grin----just twist and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellmoney View Post
    No trails in urban Reston----my TW has TW203/TW204 tires for the Route 7 trips to work in Tysons or day rides West to Loudoun county.

I do take the bike with me when we go camping up to Shenandoah River State Park, but still nothing as challenging or exciting as some of the Western TW-riders.

Around town, I often just jump on my Zuma-50 or Vino-125 to run errands---those little scooters always give me a grin----just twist and go.
    Darn. I was hoping you would say it was okay to ride the W&OD or something. That dirt trail along there would be a hoot.

Sponosred Links