Trailering tie down tips
Close

I may be buying a used TW tonight, and will be bringing it 100 miles to home in my trailer. Are there obvious places for the tie straps on the bike?

Should it be transported in or out of gear? Any thoughts are appreciated. I will follow up with details later if I can make a deal. Thanks Marneman

Quote Originally Posted by Marneman View Post
    I may be buying a used TW tonight, and will be bringing it 100 miles to home in my trailer. Are there obvious places for the tie straps on the bike?

Should it be transported in or out of gear? Any thoughts are appreciated. I will follow up with details later if I can make a deal. Thanks Marneman

Best place for the front tiedowns is to place a loop tie around the forks at the lower triple clamp and use ratcheting tiedowns to a place about even with the axle or front of tire. Bring a couple of 2x4's for a chock until you can get a good metal one. Compress forks by about 2/3rds.

In gear or not is irrelevant.

Get at least some rope to the rear frame members to keep the rear wheel from hopping about.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The handlebars between the crossbar and the top triple clamp provides a good spot for securing the front end. The passenger footpeg brackets provide a good spot for securing the rear end. After the front and rear are cinched down securely, you could put a strap near the middle of the bike over the seat (loosely) as extra insurance just in case one of the other straps let loose.

I usually leave it in neutral, just because that is what it is usually in during loading onto the trailer. I can see where it might be safer to keep it in gear, especially if that would make you feel more comfortable.

I always stop and recheck all straps after driving a half mile or so.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Bought the 2005 TW tonight. I had to leave before I read all the great tips for securing the bike on my trailer. I put the strap hooks over the handle

bars and a second strap one over the rear rack. That is what the seller said he does, it worked fine. It is reassuring knowing the members here got my back. I have a few more questions but it has been a good but long night and I need to hit the hay. On the flip side . Thanks again Marneman.

Congratulations! Glad to hear you made it home safely.

While late to this, I'm a fan of Ancra tie downs. On any "open hook" design, it's good to put a little electrical tape on the hook to "close it". With it closed, if there is a bounce and some recoil, the open style hook won't come off. Good luck with the bike. OM
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

Sponosred Links