TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Why buy a used TW??

6K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Bern 
#1 ·
Hi all,

New the forum, new to bikes. Took my MSF on a TW and fell in love with dual sports. I really want something for the farm, slow speed on the road and trails. Here's my question. With the way the TW's seem to hold their value ( a good thing) do most people buy new?
Something that's 5 or 10 years old seems to go for 1000.00 to 1500.00 less then something new.

Seeing the resale value makes me want one even more. Did you all buy new or used?

#3 ·
I bought mine used, and I agree with your thinking.
There are ones that pop up near me on Craigslist with fair frequency that will run about $2500 and have around 5000 miles (often less) on them. Look for one that is bone stock, or maybe just has a couple add-ons like a rack or handguards and you've got a solid platform to start with.
Aside from colors, they're the same bike since 2001, so you aren't missing out by buying an older one.

Reactions: Ken
#7 ·
Purchased one new & the other used for a significant savings. Both approaches have their merits. Buying used saves the pain of depreciation should you ever wish to sell. You also feel less guilty with a used bike when you put the first scratch on it.

#10 ·
#9 ·
I bought mine use with 200 miles on it in 1994 or 1995, I don't even remember now. Some people buy them for a first time bike and get rid of them quickly. That's when you can get a good deal sometimes. I still have mine.

#11 ·
the best reason to buy used is that you can get one with kick start. In alaska newish ones sell for like 400 less than new. in either case they hold value, another reason to buy used is you dont need to worry about damaging it and you can just go rip and have fun. Plus theyre honestly fun to work on so a little maintenance is actually nice.

#12 ·
i would buy a good used one but they aren't showing up around here. i've been looking for months and nothing. the only used one that i have seen in the last year is my old one that i traded in 3 years ago and they want more for it that i got for it 3 years ago. now i'm just out waiting the dealer for a 2020. they have 2019 and a few 2018 but they aren't dropping the prices, so i figure i will pay the extra $100 and get a 2020

#17 ·
New or used is a decision influenced by two things.
First is the desire to save money. This involves putting in the effort searching for a good quality machine with low miles that is reasonably priced. This may be quick, or it could prove a very lengthy ordeal. When the rare peach shows up for sale it’s a race to the seller to be the first one with cash in hand. Some folks like this challenge and make it a hobby. As everyone agrees, the TW holds its value if they have low miles and are in good shape. But remember, there is always the risk there may be a possible issue with the machine and that’s why it’s up for sale. I’ve owned 6 TW’s and all have been purchased used. I still have two, and I always have my eye pealed for a good deal on a peach.

The second factor is patience. Some folks don’t have the time or the patience to search and wait, possibly for months or longer. The savings in some dollars is somewhat offset by a warranty, and that ‘new bike’ smell. Purchasing a new machine may be the correct way to go for them. It’s quick and easy. You can still shop around and find a dealer who won’t take advantage of you too badly.

Saving money and practicing patience vs instant gratification and a warranty.

Reactions: SuperDave87
#19 ·
To answer your question just answer this one. How Anal are you? If you buy a shiny new TW and take it out and do a trailside nap that dents the tank and scratches up some plastic will you have to run right out and get a new tank and plastics? If that answer is yes then as a brand new MC rider I suggest you buy a used one that already has some battle scars you can live with and add to until you get your trail riding expertise at a much improved level. TWs and TW riders really don't care how they look and about the only thing they want is to be ridden.
There are advantages and disadvantages on both ends between new and used but the most important thing when buying a used one is having a very knowledgeable pal with you who knows what to look for and what to stay away from. I bought one that had been rode hard and put away wet way too many times for a very cheap price. I am a wrench head so no big deal doing the work to get it looking good and road worthy. Where it became a total disaster was in the repair costs to make it right. Buying tires, chain, sprockets, gaskets, plastics, seat cover, cables, wire harness and carb rebuild kit plus derusting the inside of the tank turned out to be as expensive as just buying a very nice one at the going price.
Someone already mentioned the best option, find the guy who bought it new and after just a few or a few hundred miles decided he either did not enjoy riding or needed something bigger. Tis the season to find such bikes between now and early spring.

GaryL

Reactions: admiral
#22 ·
I’m like TWBrian, I got all 7 of mine used. After I logged enough wrench time on the first one, I started buying non-runners (4) for cheap. My guess is that I spent about 150 bucks on average to get them running and safe and roadworthy. I inspect them closely including compression, spark, and a scope down the spark plug hole, etc. Within 10 minutes I know if it’s going in the back of my pickup or not.

I’m sure I’ll get burned on one eventually, but it keeps me out of trouble during these Midwestern winters.

If it’s only one you’re after and you know you’re going to keep it a long time, buying new is a good option because they hold their value quite well. Because they are a relatively low cost toy, I don’t think the values will ever plunge too deep.

#25 ·
These things go in trends. Right now TWs are in vogue and easily moved. Was not always this way. Market will shift again just as soon as a manufacturer comes up with something more trendy. All manufacturers are jumping onto small finally. I wouldn’t advise banking on a great resale value alway being there. Plus as Gary pointed out, as these things get old it’s gets pricey to fix them properly.

Reactions: Bern
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.