Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By FIRE UP
  • 1 Post By MD2020
  • 1 Post By Spyder

Thread: Ok, let's talk BACK PACKS and BOOTS

Ok, let's talk BACK PACKS and BOOTS

Gang,
    I did a search for "boots" but, came up empty. Since I purchased this little T-dub tractor a few months ago, I've had a ton of fun exploring when and where possible. I've been riding on and off road for decades but, it's always been in the Leasure outfitting and pace. I've never really gotten into the wazoo motorcycle boots 'cause the darn things are waaaaaaaaaaaay too heavy and waaaaaaaaaaaay too cumbersome. I've just used hi-top hiking boots etc. and they've always worked pretty good. But, while on a trip lately, down to Kartcher Caverns in Benson AZ to be with a family reunion, one of the guys there was wearing what looked like the type of boots the Army or Marines wear in Afghanistan or Fallujah. They were a light tan/cammo type boot. He said he got them at Big 5 and they were only around $38 or so, with a zipper on the side.

I used Magnum Hi-tops for Fire Department boots, also with a zipper on the side for years and those were great. Ultra light but, seriously durable. But, those were BLACK. I don't want BLACK for trail riding. I'm thinking of something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074N46CS4...chores-20&th=1

Although it doesn't have to be those specific ones. Big 5 has a fair selection, at least on line they do. We'll see when we hit the local store, to see what they actually carry. And, I've always had a WIDE foot so, fitment can be a bit tough when it comes to shoes and a comfortable fit. So, just wondering, are any of you *heavy* or, not so heavy trail riders wearing anything like what I linked? Oh, and by "HEAVY" I'm not meaning tonnage, I'm meaning serious and not so serious trail riders. I remember reading a boot thread a while back but, like stated, I couldn't find any in the search. I appreciate your experience here.

Subject 2: Back packs

Again, I've been a nonchalant off road rider for ever. But, even at 67 years old, I'm kind-a really getting into this dub thing. And that means, I think I want a back pack to carry this and that. I have no idea what to carry, other than some water and maybe be able to store a lighter jacket if it get's too warm. Maybe a small first aid kit, a small hand held HAM radio, fire starter ('case the Dub conks out and I gotta fend for myself in the middle of Mars someplace), etc. I don't have a rack yet but, that's on the list too. I just don't know which one. I'm not a fan of the one with the loooooonnng arms that go all the way down towards the foot pegs but, I understand those might be close to the strongest ones. The Juries out on which rack. Anyway, I can use some suggestions on type/style/make/model of back pack that hopefully, won't break the bank. And, while I'm not totally opposed to it, those ones with the camelback water system are not to my liking. I don't mind a stop every so often to get a drink. I gotta rest these old wrists and fingers anyway. It gives me a chance to let the butt muscles relax after getting them pounded by the brick of a seat the Dub has on it.

Anyway, boots and back packs, who's got what, and do you like, or don't like.
    Scott
    Last edited by FIRE UP; 11-30-2019 at 11:50 PM.
    Fred and Ken like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Magnum Elite in black for everyday road use and Desert tan for summer/South of France (on the R1150GS)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

web address: site tw200forum.com boots

https://www.google.com/search?client...orum.com+boots
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I thank you both for responding here. I took a look at the boot post/thread and, well, at present, not to many are interesting to me. And, there certainly is a lot to choose from, based on that post/thread. I'm in no hurry. Thanks again.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

I have no thoughts on backpacks, but for boots I wanted something less cumbersome than typical riding boots. I went with a set of Original SWAT 9 inch waterproof boots. These are "tactical" boots, generally for law enforcement, military or the like, so they are not as armored and protective as riding boots, but they are comfortable, better than sneakers, and have proven to be waterproof. The only time my feet have gotten wet was when I dabbed into a puddle that was over the top of the boot. When they get dirty/muddy, I wash them (outer surface) with the hose. I would highly recommend the ones with the side zippers for easy on/off.
    Last edited by jimdubs; 12-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.

The Smith & Wesson boots in Coyote look good for the stated re-purposed use & riding intensity. Dedicated ride boots like my Forma Adventure boots would offer a bit better protection but at about 3 times the price.

As far as packs go my preference is something that secures well with chest & waist straps so that the pack does not bounce around and beat you up while riding. While not in the matching Coyote color this 30 litre tactical model demonstrates good support. Note the secondary straps linking wasitbelt/pack junction with shoulder straps. This valuable but rare feature really helps pull up a weighty pack compared to basic shoulder straps and narrow waist belt.
    Redwing30_TacticalGrey_T2615817GY_side_web__01965.1525803725.1280.1280.jpg

After 10 years sitting on a shelf getting dusty I finally tried using some gifted CamelButt hydration bladders and now I am a convert for the ability to get a quick sip in hot weather. While that quick sip is priceless on those short breaks we have on Group Rides ( no time to un-ass the bike, remove pack and dig for a water bottle before it is time to go again) I would think riding in AridZona's heat would make frequent re-hydration very desirable.
    So I would recommend a tactical pack with a sleeve for a hydration bladder. If never used for hauling a water bladder the built in sleeve could hold instead a piece of foam for padding, maps, stiff plastic sheet to protect back from sharp tools in main pack body, etc.

EDIT: That is a Kelty Redwing 30 for comparison purposes.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-01-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Gang,
    I did a search for "boots" but, came up empty. Since I purchased this little T-dub tractor a few months ago, I've had a ton of fun exploring when and where possible. I've been riding on and off road for decades but, it's always been in the Leasure outfitting and pace. I've never really gotten into the wazoo motorcycle boots 'cause the darn things are waaaaaaaaaaaay too heavy and waaaaaaaaaaaay too cumbersome. I've just used hi-top hiking boots etc. and they've always worked pretty good. But, while on a trip lately, down to Kartcher Caverns in Benson AZ to be with a family reunion, one of the guys there was wearing what looked like the type of boots the Army or Marines wear in Afghanistan or Fallujah. They were a light tan/cammo type boot. He said he got them at Big 5 and they were only around $38 or so, with a zipper on the side.

I used Magnum Hi-tops for Fire Department boots, also with a zipper on the side for years and those were great. Ultra light but, seriously durable. But, those were BLACK. I don't want BLACK for trail riding. I'm thinking of something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074N46CS4...chores-20&th=1

Although it doesn't have to be those specific ones. Big 5 has a fair selection, at least on line they do. We'll see when we hit the local store, to see what they actually carry. And, I've always had a WIDE foot so, fitment can be a bit tough when it comes to shoes and a comfortable fit. So, just wondering, are any of you *heavy* or, not so heavy trail riders wearing anything like what I linked? Oh, and by "HEAVY" I'm not meaning tonnage, I'm meaning serious and not so serious trail riders. I remember reading a boot thread a while back but, like stated, I couldn't find any in the search. I appreciate your experience here.

Subject 2: Back packs

Again, I've been a nonchalant off road rider for ever. But, even at 67 years old, I'm kind-a really getting into this dub thing. And that means, I think I want a back pack to carry this and that. I have no idea what to carry, other than some water and maybe be able to store a lighter jacket if it get's too warm. Maybe a small first aid kit, a small hand held HAM radio, fire starter ('case the Dub conks out and I gotta fend for myself in the middle of Mars someplace), etc. I don't have a rack yet but, that's on the list too. I just don't know which one. I'm not a fan of the one with the loooooonnng arms that go all the way down towards the foot pegs but, I understand those might be close to the strongest ones. The Juries out on which rack. Anyway, I can use some suggestions on type/style/make/model of back pack that hopefully, won't break the bank. And, while I'm not totally opposed to it, those ones with the camelback water system are not to my liking. I don't mind a stop every so often to get a drink. I gotta rest these old wrists and fingers anyway. It gives me a chance to let the butt muscles relax after getting them pounded by the brick of a seat the Dub has on it.

Anyway, boots and back packs, who's got what, and do you like, or don't like.
    Scott
    Here's what I decided to start with for a back pack. Its just a 2 liter water camel back knock off. It has good ratings and I can buy it for $26. There are a few extra pockets for small miscellaneous items, and the Molle system. Here's the link on Amazon:
    SHARKMOUTH Tactical MOLLE Hydration Pack Backpack 900D with 2L Leak-Proof Water Bladder, Keep Liquids Cool for Up to 4 Hours, Outdoor Daypack for Cycling, Hiking, Running, USA Flag Patch,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DNJGV2..._Ghd5DbGQA0FH7
    Cheers - Maury 👍
    FishByte likes this.

Hey Buddy!
    So you had a good time out there going BATTY?

I use a Geigerrig 1600 pack with a PRESSURIZED system.
    https://www.trailspace.com/gear/geigerrig/rig-1600/
    Something you don't know you want until you try it. I love it. Waist/hip strap fits us taller guys.geigerigg 1600.jpg
    Seems only available now in tactical..... but in tan though too.

Boots. Get something that covers your shin! Minimum. You have seen the damage. Lots of adventure boots available now. Just get something that you can walk in comfortably. I use SIDI Sympatex closest now would be Goretex Road Boots. With my inserts it is not too bad to hike a bit in them. Protection vs walkability etc etc Compromises......

Rack. Justin makes a great rack. reasonable and great fit. Local (to me)
    Nomadic Rack.jpg
    Nomadic Racks

Call me.

Spyder
    Fred likes this.

Nice Geigerrig pack! Wish I had gotten one when they were $50.
    Price Current Retail: $158.00
    Historic Range: $49.99-$175.00
    Reviewers Paid: $89.99-$160.00
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Hey Buddy!
    So you had a good time out there going BATTY?

I use a Geigerrig 1600 pack with a PRESSURIZED system.
    Something you don't know you want until you try it. I love it. Waist/hip strap fits us taller guys.geigerigg 1600.jpg
    Seems only available now in tactical..... but in tan though too.

Boots. Get something that covers your shin! Minimum. You have seen the damage. Lots of adventure boots available now. Just get something that you can walk in comfortably. I use SIDI Sympatex closest now would be Goretex Road Boots. With my inserts it is not too bad to hike a bit in them. Protection vs walkability etc etc Compromises......

Rack. Justin makes a great rack. reasonable and great fit. Local (to me)
    Nomadic Rack.jpg
    Nomadic Racks

Call me.

Spyder
    Heeeeeeey Partner,
    What you do 'in on here? You're a BIGGER m/c guy, not a smaller one like the TW. Anyway, cool, glad to hear from you and your experience in these matters. Yeah, you been ridin' outback for decades so I do value your input. But, again, I'm not the kind that is comfortable with those large, ultra high moto-cross boots. I tried a set on one time and almost fell over 'cause I couldn't move my legs. Now-a-days, just about anything higher than tennis shoes and, my ankles don't like'm. Hiking boots are barely tolerable. But, as stated, one of the guys at our family reunion, had the later style Army or Marine types on that LOOKED like they were really flexible and he said they were. They're not black but, instead the khaki or, "Coyote" color that seems to be popular.

But, I tried on some at Big 5 and was a bit disappointed. They were STIFF. So, I'm still on the hunt. As for backpacks, well, again, this is not for the Dakar. I've got one now, it's a Cut'N'Core one from Jen. Nothing fancy, doesn't have any Blatter or anything like that. It does have a couple of netting places for water bottles. As stated earlier, I won't mind stopping and shutting down for a short rest. So, taking off the backpack and getting water is a RELIEF to me. I gotta let my hands un-numb, not to mention my BUTT! We just today, received two, brand new 3/4 HJC helmets that are fitted with speakers and mics for the Goldwing. The original ones, were well over 12 years old. I bought them BEFORE you and I retired. They'd been dropped numerous times and, were getting pretty nasty inside 'cause, you can't take the innards out of them like you can the newer ones. Yuck! Now, I might have to look for a sort of cheapie off road helmet. Man, this T-dub rid'n can get expensive! Thanks for responding Bud.
    Scott

P.S., By the way, forgot to comment on that rack. I really like that one but, not sure how it attaches to the T-dub. If it only attaches up in that area, that area's only designed to hold about 7 lbs or so. Now, I'm not gonna carry an "out of town bag" ('member those?) or anything that's overwhelming but, you can add up to 7 lbs. real quick. I'd have to look closely at that one. Thanks.
    SR
    Last edited by FIRE UP; Today at 08:39 PM.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Sponosred Links