The New Guy
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Guy

I have never driven a motorcycle off road before and thought the TW200 looked like a good starter bike. I've drove Harley's all my life so I know how to work everything though. I live in the middle of the Mojave desert by Edwards Air Force Base so I can ride anywhere and everywhere. I love to explore and have a 2011 Ram 2500 Power Wagon I've been using but at 12 mpg it is expensive. When I saw the mpg the TW200 got I knew I wanted one.

I purchased a new 2013 model last Wednesday (3/20) and have put 90 miles on it already. I just filled up and got 90 mpg on the first gallon. The learning curve is a little higher than I thought but I'm slowly getting used to driving it off road. The only thing I'm still having problems with is sand. It gets so squirmy that I feel like I'm going to lay the bike down (I haven't yet). At church today a guy told me that the key is staying on the throttle so the front tire floats. Can't wait to try it later on in the week.

I'm glad I found this forum and have learned a lot already. Already ordered a couple of "tubes" with MSR fuel bottles. I've started designing a front and rear rack and can't wait to get started on them. I'm retired so I hope to spend a couple hours a day riding.

I hope to get lots of information on this forum and hope to contribute once I get going. If anyone lives in the area I would love to ride with someone and learn more about riding and get to know other owners.

Medsker

Welcome to the forum. I used to be stationed at edwards. I had a datsun 720 pickup back then that I explored with. Wish I had gotten into dual sports in those days. Good choice on the bike.
    Persistence is the better part of genius.

Hi Medsker,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new TW.

I don't have much experience riding in sand but there are lots of guys on this forum who can probably offer some advice. I am not sure that the TW has enough power for floating the front tire technique to work. I will suggest that you switch out the front tire to one that handles the loose stuff better than the stocker. The Shinko SR244 is a popular choice.

Have fun.

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Howdy, neighbor.

Welcome aboard.

Try standing on the pegs and keeping most of you weight rearward. It may sound counterintuitive but standing on the pegs actually LOWERS your center of gravity and shifting your weight rearward helps keep the front end on top of the sand.

At first riding on sand feels like little more than a controlled crash, but keep at it. This is one of the few bikes on earth that can be ridden relatively slowly in sandy conditions. The learning curve on a "normal" skinny-tired dirt bike is far worse. You've chosen wisely.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Welcome to the forum!

Don't forget to air down the tire pressure's offroad, once you get used to the bike and experiment a bit with the air pressure, these things will take you anywhere, not fast, but you'll get there.

Have fun with your new bike!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm going to be riding 99% on dirt roads and weigh 250...what tire pressure would you recommend trying first?

Quote Originally Posted by medsker View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes. I'm going to be riding 99% on dirt roads and weigh 250...what tire pressure would you recommend trying first?

You'll need to find someone nearer your own weight to get specifics, but try sneaking up on it incrementally, say 15/15 at first. That alone will give you a feel for how much airing down will do for you. I weigh 170 or so and can run well under 10 psi.

Street pressures cause your tires to behave more like basketballs offroad. Lowering pressures gives a bigger footprint and less reactivity over obstacles but if you go too low you'll risk bent rims or pinched tubes.

Prolly the best first accessory for around here may be a 12 volt outlet and a small inflation pump so you can air up or down at will.

I take it that you're Cal City-ish?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

When riding in sand, it is best to lean back, you will figure out how far. And just let your hands rest on the bars. Dont fight the squirm! Every bike wants to go straight. Give it more throttle when it starts to swerve. Pretty much just do everything your body tells you not to. Getting a better front tire will help riding in the sand immensely. Shinko 244 or kenda 270 are the most popular choice. Enjoy your new bike!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I'll try lowing the pressure next time I ride...which will be Thursday since I have to go to San Diego. And yes I do live in Cal City. I'm on the south side up on the hill. We moved here about a year ago from Utah so my wife could do a big project for the Borax mine.

Welcome!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links