Movin on up
Close

Thread: Movin on up

First off I must state that the TW has been absolutely wonderful to me over the years, I have owned two of them in my time in fact. Just to avoid what I know is coming from this post I'll state that I have made up my mind on selling it. Let's avoid those "think it over" replies if we can please and thank you. My son and I started riding trails, hills, creeks and plenty of mud at offroad parks nearly every weekend last season. We are having a BLAST! However, I've found the TW to be a bit lacking for what I've grown comfortable with quickly in our trips off road. I'm ready for a little more bike on and definitely off road! I'm tired of the TW constantly trying to wash out from under me in the mud and also not quite having the low end power I'd like a good bit more of. I want more bike... and fuel injection! What I really, really want is some help deciding between its replacement options though! That's where I need the collective knowledge of all of you who know what I'm feeling right now. I am between the CRF250L and the XT250, I'm not real big on buying used so I've gravitated to those two choices. Not interested in a Kawi or Zuki I know that. Also, what makes the XT worth the $700+ more than the CRF? So anyway... here's my POU (philosophy of use) with the new bike. I want something that will fill my needs between city driving/work commute (should be easily done) but be REALLY ready for the trails, mud, hill climbs and a decent jump here and there! The WR would be AWESOME but it's far out of my price range. I really like the weight difference on the XT (lighter) over the CRF but not for $700 more. Where does that $700+ come into play? Is the CRF's suspension up to the job of my stated off road requirements? It looks quite squatty and soft from what I've seen but maybe I'm wrong. I've looked over the side by side specs but I don't understand some of that stuff like compression ratios and the technical things like that. I heard one guy say that the XT is nowhere near worth that much more dough than the CRF. Also maintenance wise I did all my maintenance on my TW and loved that about the bike. Will I be able to tackle either of these bikes more so than the other in that department? Absolutely any and all first hand experience, pointers, advice and general knowledge is greatly appreciated! Please, flood me with info so I can come to a decision on a new bike, THE SEASON IS UPON US!!!

Thanks guys!

If th CRF is cheaper by that much, it is a much better buy!

I don't have experience with the bikes you have mentioned, but I believe the move to the 21" front tire is a move in the right direction for what you're wanting to do. I really like my Yamaha and, for my size, the seat height and the weight would lean me toward the XT. I know there is a lot more to consider. When I'm shopping like this and comparing money, I think--- "once I spend the money, I never look back". The money is gone. Buy what you want and it is easy to "never look back". Enjoy the ride.
    "Ride 'till the sun goes down, then go home', (or camp out, like I do)

2012 DR 650

2009 T-Dub

2004 GL 1800

2002 Moto Guzzi EV

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota

1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tw200sgp View Post
    If th CRF is cheaper by that much, it is a much better buy!

So then the next question is what do you all suggest I ask to get out of my '07 with 4.5K on it? I know this is the most common statement in the motorcycle classifieds but the bike really is "in GREAT shape and never abused", it runs wonderfully, ALWAYS garaged, kept clean (including the carb), looks great and needs NOTHING but some fresh fork oil and possibly a battery soon. It has seem 90% road use and has one scraped brake lever and the minor muffler scrape from a front tire wash out on asphalt at about 8-10 mph. No plastics, tank damage or anything else at all from the tiny slide it took. All maintenance has been done regularly and thoroughly by myself. Never once had a problem from this bike at all, I have added a set of Tusk risers, D2Moto pegs, a 47 T rear sprocket, a Jimbo shield, a proper carb tuning and a $100 rear rack which I will remove and sell separately. The buyer will be getting a wonderful bike! I don't want to lowball myself with an asking price too low! I wouldn't dream of going lower than $2K on it, I think it's honestly worth $2,200 as good as it is but I want others thoughts and knowledge as well. Blue book says A dealer would ask a MSRP of $2,360 on it in EXCELLENT condition with an estimated 8+K miles on it (I'm at half that). PLEASE let me know what you guys think I should start asking at and where I should hold my ground at. THANKS!

P.S. I've decided on the CRF250L, it is definitely what I'm looking for in almost every aspect! I Imagine the trick will be finding one though!

Ok I'll bite

I say $2200 and you may have to come down to $2000. All depends on your area. Here in Wash. $2200 would be a pretty good deal for your bike.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    Ok I'll bite

I say $2200 and you may have to come down to $2000. All depends on your area. Here in Wash. $2200 would be a pretty good deal for your bike.

I appreciate the input goldenhtr!

Sponosred Links