Bike Hauler
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bike Hauler

So I was looking at this hoghauler.net and was wondering what everyone thinks about it. Do you think it would be safe? Will it hurt the bike to drag the rear wheel without it running?

You run the risk of the bike getting bumped into gear at which point you might start dragging the tire down the road in a skid. I have a 1 1/4" hitch on my Subaru and I'm really trying to think of a convenient option to tow the TW. I own a trailer, but it's a pain to deal with to just haul a bike. I'd remove the chain while using a hauler of this style just to avoid the transmission issue. On a bike like this it's safe to run a clip-on master link which makes chain removal pretty quick.

I've used Versa haulers like so to carry Vespas on my Jeep hitch.

It worked fine, but I didn't trust it to not let the bike shatter my back window in a panic stop situation.

They sell cheaper versions of what you're looking at, made from steel (about half the price.) I think the important part is having that bar with your strap attachment points be strong enough to not bend or flex.

Personally, I have never seen anyone using one, but I'm also intrigued to hear from other members. The TW doesn't weigh too much, so I can't see why it'd be bad to use one of these.
    1993 TW200

I like these type, but don't expect to be able to back up.... They are great for lighter weight tow vehicles that can't handle the weight of the entire bike hanging off of the back. Each type of hauling has is advantages and disadvantages.

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That is what I am thinking. I have a Ram 2500 Power Wagon that will pull anything but it gets 12 mpg. I also have a TDI VW Jetta that gets 40 mpg. I figure if I want to ride a couple of hours from my place I could drive the Jetta towing the bike rather than riding it all the way (my back will only handle about 3 hours riding at a time). I already have a nice trailer for my wife's V-Star and my Harley but it is a pain to load alone. I'll have to talk to the wife and see if I can pick one up.

I have had the earlier, non-swiveling version of this carrier for about 10 years.

http://www.oldinc.com/rhmcbscan.htm

I now have a trailer and several other types of carriers and haven't used this one for a number of years. These carriers work well for occasional use, especially if you don't have the space for a trailer. The down side is you can't back up the vehicle with a bike loaded up (at least I couldn't!), and I needed to add straps to secure the bike's handlebars to the corners of the tow vehicle to prevent excessive lean while turning.

I only used mine for relatively short hauls, i.e., less than 75 miles or so. It worked well for this type of use. I always zip-tied the clutch lever to the handgrip just in case the bike popped out of neutral and into gear. For longer distances, I'd recommend removing the chain. I have never towed my TW with this carrier, but as long as the front wheel fits into the cradle, it should work fine.

Brian

Medsker, if you find one that works with a 1 1/4" drawbar, let me know. I've only ever seen 2" versions. I'm in the same boat.. Don't want to have to buy another truck just for my motorcycle hobby. They don't make 2" (class III) draw bars for most passenger cars that were never meant to pull things.
    1993 TW200

If I have to go more than 50 miles I would probably just trailer it. I like the idea of zip-tying the clutch lever down. Could definitely save some headaches.

I haven't seen any 1 1/4" drawbars either. If I have to get a 2" I would probably either make a very short adapter or just cut off the 2" and replace it with a 1 1/4". I haven't seen one up close but it is metal and anything can be done metal

Reese sells a 1 1/4 to 2" adapter, but my bumper on the Subaru is so close to the draw bar that it wouldn't fit. I'll keep an eye out and post here if I turn anything up. I doubt anyone makes a Versa type hauler for 1.25" because it's a lot of twist force in either direction and having the bigger 2" receiver probably withstands quite a bit more of that.
    1993 TW200

What if you get a flat rear tire on your bike? Only a hitch carrier or trailer will get you home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    What if you get a flat rear tire on your bike? Only a hitch carrier or trailer will get you home.

That is an excellent point. It also made me think if I were to get a flat while towing it. I think it would be difficult to even tell it was flat. I'll keep thinking about it.

Maybe it is time to design a small one bike trailer that is custom fit for the TW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links