GPS Units???
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS Units???

OK, I have this "Must have a GPS on my T-DUB" thing going on in my head. I was wondering if any of the regular GPS units you see everyone using in their vehicles, have the ability to use plot routes or mark way points? I have a Garmin Etrex handheld GPS that is great for plotting routes, marking way points, speed and what not. The problem with it is that is has no maps, and I cannot install any mapping software on it.

I plan on riding my T-DUB on many adventures within the state of Michigan, both lower and upper penninsula's. I've always been a map kinda guy, and I have used my handheld when riding trails and hunting. But I'm thinking that a nice GPS with mapping capabilities would be cool to have on my bike!

I'm not familiar with any of the newer GPS units with maps! They look cool and work great from what I've seen. Let me hear what you have to say both good or bad.

Thanks!
    Swamp

2006 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    Let me hear what you have to say both good or bad.

Thanks!

Want to learn everything there is to know about the Montana? Go: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Features

Then, since the device is nearly useless without the Garmin software and maps: http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/

Be prepared for a steep learning curve. See: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775 (and the next 500 pages)

One of the most important things in a motorcycle GPS is screen readability, all the older units fail miserably in this regard, and you have to stop to read the GPS accurately. The Garmin Montana wins the readability competition in all conditions hands down.

Beware! It's a very deep rabbit hole! The purchase cost (~$400) is only the beginning.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Wife bought me a Garmin Nuvi 500 and a GoPro Hero 3 for Christmas.

After 3 months of f'n around with this POS digital crap, I tossed it all in the trash.

I'm back to carrying a roll of quarters for phones, a road map I got at the Shell station, and a $5 disposable Fuji camera.

Tech toys suck the enjoyment out of life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I run an old school TomTom 1 I picked it up some time ago at a swap-meet for $20. As TWisty said, 'tech toys suck the enjoyment out of life'. For me, nothing beats the enjoyment of unfolding a map, choosing a destination for the day, then looking for 'non-straight' roads that will take me there. Then I input turn locations into my 'no-masters degree required' GPS, one at a time. Usually, I have my 'turns' written out on a piece of paper in my tankbag's map case.

As I said, $20. So, if it gets lost, stolen, broke, or water-logged, WHO CARES. You still have the maps that don't require batteries, fold to fit any space, and you can write your route on them.

The technology of the modern world is great, don't get me wrong. But have you looked at the 'technology' of your TW? It hasn't changed (much) since 1987. If I wanted to 'get there', I'd take my car. If I want to 'enjoy' getting there, I take the TW. And I always use the 'bicycle route' travel preferance. This will take you over the mountain as opposed to around it, to save you 50yds. Some of the best riding I've ever done, has been using this method. I feel its the best 'mix' of adventure in todays 'modern' world. Hope I helped. Doubt I did. TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

I too have been looking at GPS's but I don't know if I really want one. I do enjoy taking the wrong turn and getting lost and spending time finding my way out. With a GPS you push a button and you know which way to go.

Is a touch screen GPS as durable as a push button one? The ones I have seen off road are push button.

I have been looking at the refurbished ones. They are cheaper than new and if I smash one against a rock I want to smash a cheap one. The Garmin Oregon series have several refurbished models on ebay. Also the Garmin GPSmap 62s seems a good refurbished deal.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    OK, I have this "Must have a GPS on my T-DUB" thing going on in my head. I was wondering if any of the regular GPS units you see everyone using in their vehicles, have the ability to use plot routes or mark way points? I have a Garmin Etrex handheld GPS that is great for plotting routes, marking way points, speed and what not. The problem with it is that is has no maps, and I cannot install any mapping software on it.

I plan on riding my T-DUB on many adventures within the state of Michigan, both lower and upper penninsula's. I've always been a map kinda guy, and I have used my handheld when riding trails and hunting. But I'm thinking that a nice GPS with mapping capabilities would be cool to have on my bike!

I'm not familiar with any of the newer GPS units with maps! They look cool and work great from what I've seen. Let me hear what you have to say both good or bad.

Thanks!
    I have a Garmin E-Trex 20 hand held gps and LOVE it.You need to buy the maps seperately.I bought the worldwide topo map in 100k,so regardless of where I go I have a map. They also make specific state maps also,along with city navigator maps.You can download Garmin basecamp for free.I love this alot because after my ride I can download it onto my computer, and see my exact route on a topo map on my computer, or you can outline a route on your computer in basecamp then download it to your GPS.
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    With a GPS you push a button and you know which way to go.

Is a touch screen GPS as durable as a push button one? The ones I have seen off road are push button.

You mean the GPS knows which way to go!.......... BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Yes, in my experience, the touchscreen models are at least as durable. But I've only had the Montana for a year. Others have had touchscreen difficulties with the Montana, but they were replaced under warranty.

Bottom line is that today's GPS technology is light years ahead of a decade ago, but requires MUCH more of a learning curve and fussing with software on the computer.

It is a tradeoff I'm willing to make, but many may not. Once I have dealt with all the issues, I can trust my route or track, but I spend a LOT of time in the winter designing and vetting imaginary rides!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by TWisty View Post
    Tech toys suck the enjoyment out of life.

I hear that!

Granted, they are a part of life for the younger amongst us. I was a bit shook up when my daughter gave my granddaughter her three month old cell phone to use as a toy, so she could upgrade.

I was watching Dog the Bounty Hunter and they had just missed catching someone and they were all wired up trying to get intel to continue on. Dog grabs this guys cell phone, looks at it, tipping his head back & forth, like a monkey studying it's penis, then finally stretches out his arm and says, "Here, who can text?" LOL That's me!

Kenny

I'm not after a GPS that you plug in the destination info and follow it! I want a GPS that I can use to plot my routes when I go off the beaten path! I like to take trails and just go, and like you said Drifter, it would be fun to download your route to the computer to look at where you've been. I don't really need it to get me where I'm going, but when I do leave the pavement, I want it for getting me back out of the bush when I travel unfamiliar territory or routes.
    Swamp

2006 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    You mean the GPS knows which way to go!.......... BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Would it be fair to say "the GPS knows which way to go and then tells me (I read it on the screen) and then I too know which way to go"? If it doesn't work this way then maybe I don't want / need a GPS.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links