Master Link
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Link

I searched for this but couldn't find it. I wanted to get a spare master link to carry, one with a clip. I searched on Amazon and found some but they talk about numbers 520, 420, 428, 530. I'm wondering which one works for my stock bike.

Thanks

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

428H if it's the stock chain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I'll get one ordered.

Probably not that critical on these bikes with their low horsepower, but master links are pretty specific. Just a heads up.

An EK chain vs a DID chain (two different brands) will typically have slightly different pin diameters. So if you order the wrong master link it won't fit into the chain, or it will, but it'll knock around. I discovered this last year trying to use a DID link in an EK chain.

Sometimes it's hard to locate a master link for the exact chain you have. This is probably OK if you can get one to fit the TW chain, but if you're dealing with a higher horsepower application it becomes dangerous. Then again, in those cases you should be using a staked master link rather than a clip version anyway.

Non-o ring, o-ring, x-ring, etc... it's all specific. It's always best to get the chain and master in the same box so you know they were made for each other
    1993 TW200

I just want to carry one in case the chain breaks. It will just be used to get me home. With your information I will at least test fit it to make sure it will work.

medsker:

Keep in mind that although the master link is a clip style (vs rivet), it still needs to be pressed on (easiest with a chain tool). It's not like a bicycle masterlink, which you can easily do without a chain tool.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

I've never found that to be true on any of the chains I've had (428, 520, 525, and 530.) The clip links top plate always just slides into place. I might have had to use needle nose pliers to seat it home to clear the cutouts for the clip, but I haven't had to ever apply much force. (this includes DID, EK, and generic brand chains)

Usually the master links come in a separate baggie and the top plate is sitting on the link with the clip installed.
    1993 TW200

All of the oring master links clip style 430, 428 and 520 (RK and DID) that I have required the top plate to be pressed on. There are lots of utube videos showing how to do this with vice grips and a small socket. On the trail, without the chain tool, I would not be able to remove my masterlink nor reinstall it. I don't believe that non-oring masterlinks need to be pressed on - but I don't have one around to try.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

That may be the case. I do own a few bikes with o-ring chains, but I use rivet master links on them due to horsepower safety requirements.
    1993 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links