Clarke 'natural' see-thru tank question
Close

I'm thinking of buying one of the translucent Clarke tanks for my bike, but I'm curious if any of you have painted them with something appropriate and left a vertical strip on each side of the tank unpainted so you can see the fuel level.

I'm curious if enough light hits the tank or if light inside the tank is even required to see the fuel level.

Something like this:

My bike is black and I'd like a black tank, but extra fuel capacity and the ability to visually inspect both seem like positive additions to my riding experience. I'm just curious if any of you have done this or seen it done on other bikes?
    1993 TW200

having seen a clear tank, i think you'd easily be able to see the gas level, especially if you left a stripe on both sides.

there have been other threads about painting these tanks with varying success. i think most flame prep the plastic first.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...a-clarke-tank/
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks for the heads up. I had a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple with a plastic tank and the factory paint did indeed bubble up.

Here's a photo of my gas tank actually:

I will have to research it further as to what happens when you rattle can a single layer of Krylon fusion paint onto it. My triumph was painted with multiple layers of roulette green and clear coating.
    1993 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had the exact same idea. After seeing so much about paint chipping and bubbling I scrapped the idea. However, it looks like perforated vinyl would work. Definitely post some pictures if you try something.

Sponosred Links