Any thoughts on the Heavy Duty tube procycle sells?
Close

I recently bought one and installed it at the same time as a Shinko 244 5.1". Im afraid that the extra added weight to a alredy heavier tire makes my steering quite different. Just wondered if I have over done it. This combination reminds me of my old AWD Volvo station wagon. It needs driven, or constantly steered. Afraid to let it go straight on its own as I give it gas. After a corner it will keep on pulling. If this dont make sense, Im sorry. Just back back from working on a trail and am late getting ready for work.
    '89 TW dark on light blue

I run the same combo on my bike. Yes, it is heavier than the stock tire/tube combo. I haven't noticed any ill effects, I've only noticed how much better it rides both off road and on. You might want to check your steering head bearings, they seem to wear out on these bikes quite often. Mine had bad ones in it and it felt like I always was fighting it...

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

My stock trailwing tire feels exactly like you describe. I put it up to 30psi and it helped.. BUT my steering head bearings are indexed. What I mean by that is the balls have made dents in the bearing race (happens when you hit bumps or someone had the bearings adjusted too loosely and they bang around.)

So, I have these dents in the bearing race where the balls prefer to sit. Fortunately it's with the wheel pointing straight ahead. But when you to to corner slightly right or left the bike feels like it's fighting you.

To see if you have the issue, have a friend hold the bike steady and use a car jack to lift up the front wheel off the ground. Then turn the handlebars side to side. Mine feel like they have ever so slight resistance that feels like running your fingers over a washboard because the balls are going in and out of the dents in the bearing race.

My solution is going to be to install All Ball's taper bearing kit. It should eliminate the problem completely. Yamaha may have used cheap metal in the bearing races.. I own much older (more miles) bikes that weigh a lot more and have never had this problem before my TW200.
    1993 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Never noticed it before, but maybe the improved grip by the new tire brought it to a head. Mine is a 89 and Im sure they've never been replaced. Good insight and thank you.
    '89 TW dark on light blue

That may very well be. I don't think I'm really feeling the tire on mine. At first I assumed so because it's so wide. I'm pretty sure what I'm feeling now is more my steering head bearings.

You might be feeling the soft rubber of that Shinko tire.

As with anything though, I typically adjust after about a week and the weirdness goes away.
    1993 TW200

Sponosred Links