Did the bike originally come with one or two keys?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My TW has one key that operates the ignition and the helmet lock. Then it has a different key for the gas cap. Was this a thing, or did a previous owner replace the gas cap (or whole tank?)

I went into my local locksmith to get spares made since I was only given one set with the bike. The ILCO number, if any of you care, is X118 or YH49 for my ignition switch and helmet lock. It's got an extra keyway and is more complex than the gas cap key.

The gas cap key is ILCO number X120 or YH46.

I'm trying to figure out if the keys changed over the years and I managed to get a gas cap from an older or newer bike and if factory bikes have only one key that operates both the ignition and gas cap.

Photo of both keys

1993 TW200

Well ours came with the same key for both locks....... They are 06s.. I went to my local hardware and they cut me extra's. Good luck. OMM.

Someone replaced the tank or cap. They come new with two identical keys.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

there is a guy online that sells you the blanks. depending on the model, there were at least 4 different blanks that are not interchangeable.

check the grooves and length carefully. i speak from experience.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My key copies are both working fine. I'm thinking about removing the tumbler pins from the gas cap lock because I'm not worried about people throwing sugar in there or anything.

Thanks for shedding light on the mystery.
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    My key copies are both working fine. I'm thinking about removing the tumbler pins from the gas cap lock because I'm not worried about people throwing sugar in there or anything.

Thanks for shedding light on the mystery.

i was unable to get the core out, as i wanted to swap it with another cap. what i ended up doing was taking off the two locking slider plates that engage with the key. now it works fine with no locking action.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Cool. I'll probably take it apart tonight. That thing is seated tightly enough that most people would be fooled into thinking it was locked into place.
    1993 TW200

Removing the locking feature of the fuel cap was easier than I could have imagined. Also nice that you can reinstall the feature later just as easily.
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    Removing the locking feature of the fuel cap was easier than I could have imagined. Also nice that you can reinstall the feature later just as easily.
    unless you take apart all the parts with the intention of removing the core and not putting it back together.....

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links