Local dealership trying to jerk me around?
Close

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and hope you can help me. I'm located in west Texas and have been looking at the TW200 at the local dealership recently. Found a 2010 with 185,XXX miles. SUPER CLEAN and started right up, with an aftermarket exhaust. New tires, the whole works. Okay, so this bike intrigued me, and I felt that the 180k+ miles would help my case in getting a good deal, right? Boy was I wrong. They were asking for just under 5 grand plus TTL, supposedly because they had messed up and put too much money into it with new tires etc.

But they conveniently steered me towards a row of brand new TW200's going for over $5,600 +TTL. I was speechless. How could a USED TW with over 185k miles be so much? Not to mention the outrageous price for new ones. Is there anyway I can talk them down? Maybe throw some cold hard facts and figures? They have to be motivated to get rid of that used one, right? Help? Thanks in advanced all! -Zayne

A 2010 with 180,000 miles?? That's got to be a world record!

At any rate I think $5600 for a new TW is a bit much. I'd try some different dealers. Some dealers around here still have left over (new) 2012 & 2013's for less than MSRP.

Yeah, you're definitely reading that wrong. It's likely 1800 miles. Most motorcycles just don't make it that long, and definitely not in two years.

Regardless, that's a ridiculous price. You should be able to find one in that kinda of shape for close to $3k at the most if you look around.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It may be worth the asking price if you can secure paperwork proving that it has circled the Earth multiple times

I found mine on accident when I went to look at a different Yamaha enduro from Craigslist. I suggest private party on these bikes because nothing noteworthy changed on them over the years. The prices vary from about 500 bucks to 5000 for what is basically the same bike. Age, miles, bashing, and storage outdoors takes it toll on anything, but after I get my '93 dialed in to my standard, I'd put it up against anything sitting on a dealer floor as being more reliable.

There's a 2006 TW on my local craigslist for 2400 dollars that would be identical to the new one they have sitting on the floor at twice the price.
    1993 TW200

LOL, had to laugh when I read this one. Look for a used one from a private party. You should be able to find a nice one at half the price of the dealer. And it may already have some upgrades/farkles on it.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Just got a 2004 with 312 miles for $20,000. No wait I think it was more like $2,000.00. Look around you might have to travel but, you will find a fair price.

The Priest Lake, ID, dealer has two new 2013 TWs for $4200.00 I saw his add on the Spokane, WA craigslist.

Now that I think about it, yeah, 1,800 miles sounds more reasonable. The last digit is probably after the decimal on the odometer, right? Anywho, I suppose I'll have to take a short drive next door to New Mexico and check out some of their dealerships. Thanks guys!

those knuckleheads are not worth negotiating with. name your price, one "out the door" number. if they won't do it walk away
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Call Central Yamaha in Plano 972-423-4089. I was in there a week ago and they had a new one on the floor. I bought my 2012 for $4K and change out the door last year. Very reasonable guys. I dealt with an older gentlemen, retired military guy.

Good luck on your quest to join the wonderful world of TW!

Sponosred Links