Sore Bum
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sore Bum

So as I stated before I am new at this off roading motorcycle stuff. In early April I did around a thirty mile ride that was all off road and bumpy. When I got home I noticed that my tailbone was extremely sore. I went on vacation for three weeks and didn't ride but my tailbone still hurt. It was bad enough that it hurt to roll over when sleeping at night. I looked up a bunch of stuff online and came to the consensus that I have to just suck it up. I decided to throw caution to the wind today and doubled up on my Lortab and rode for 120 miles off road today. It was a great but painful ride. I laid the bike down once today trying to climb a steep rock which I never should have been trying to climb. I was almost stopped so my pride was hurt more than my body. Anyway by the time I got home I could hardly walk. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they do what they do to curb it. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow but am sure he will just tell me to quit riding :-) I found a website that explains how to re-foam your seat to help with overall comfort and has a cut out where your tailbone sits. I'd have to buy all the foam and vinyl but maybe that is the next thing I will try.

Anyway, sorry for rambling just wanting some pain relief.

I've ridden 250 miles or so in the last two days and I feel Fine. You might need to see a Dr., if you stay sore for that long you may have something else going on.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by medsker View Post
    So as I stated before I am new at this off roading motorcycle stuff. In early April I did around a thirty mile ride that was all off road and bumpy. When I got home I noticed that my tailbone was extremely sore. I went on vacation for three weeks and didn't ride but my tailbone still hurt. It was bad enough that it hurt to roll over when sleeping at night. I looked up a bunch of stuff online and came to the consensus that I have to just suck it up. I decided to throw caution to the wind today and doubled up on my Lortab and rode for 120 miles off road today. It was a great but painful ride. I laid the bike down once today trying to climb a steep rock which I never should have been trying to climb. I was almost stopped so my pride was hurt more than my body. Anyway by the time I got home I could hardly walk. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they do what they do to curb it. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow but am sure he will just tell me to quit riding :-) I found a website that explains how to re-foam your seat to help with overall comfort and has a cut out where your tailbone sits. I'd have to buy all the foam and vinyl but maybe that is the next thing I will try.

Anyway, sorry for rambling just wanting some pain relief.

Sorry to hear that. I broke my tailbone twice over the last 40 years and it can be painful for a long long time. The last time I did it, it hurt for about 10 years. If I was sitting on anything for more than just a minute or two, I would have sharp pain when I would get up, then a dull ache forever. Modifying your seat would help.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Seat Concepts. Best $ i've spent. Can do 10hrs on the bike if i need to (and i have). Wide pegs as well to make standing more comfortable. TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

I have a seat off a 1500 kawasaki, it is wide and I think I can modify it to fit the tw. Going to take a look at it tomorrow after taking the seat off the tw. As I don't have anyone to ride with me as she has her own, the thought of making a rack from the tank to include the seat and a gastank/backrest with some room behind for extras might be a fun thing to do. If I make it so the modification and the old seat can be changed without much trouble would be a plus. As the kawaski system is a two piece, driver, passenger system, should be able to put something together. Don't do any standup riding so don't have to worry about riding bowlegged lol.

I see the doctor at 3:30 tomorrow. I'll let you know what he says.

I'll have to look into seat concepts. It would be fun to try and modify it myself but sometimes it is better to just pay for good quality.

That's a good idea modifying a seat you like onto your bike. I'll have to see what I have lying around.

I also have a Seat Concepts on a different bike. I received it for a Christmas gift this past December. Although I haven't used it yet, the people at Seat Concepts were great. They said they would make it based on my weight and preference, but they also said if it didn't work for me, send it back and they would redo it with more/less dense foam. Sorry, I don't know anything about "foam science." For what it's worth, one of my riding buddies also makes seats. He's in our local club/forum. He's made numerous seats for different members, we call them "Wacked Seats." (That's his forum handle) He works in the prosthetic field so he does know what he's doing. If interested, PM me. Otherwise, I've only good things about Seat Concepts. LD

The TW feels like the seat is declined when I'm on it (I weigh 160 lbs) and my hind end starts to hurt after about 5 minutes. Most of the bikes I have ridden in the past have flat bench seats (parallel twins from the 60s-70s as well as vintage Vespas) so I'm used to a really upright seating position with a flat seat under me. The TW has the upright position licked, but the seat feels like I'm on a hill. Also the foam rubber is really stiff which I like, but it sets my butt on fire after about 10 minutes in the saddle. I find myself standing on the pegs and shaking my butt pretty often. I'm still young enough that I don't want a goofy looking AirHawk or other pad on my bike and I'm going to suck it up.

I have horrible posture and am swaybacked from all the slouching I have done in chairs over the years. The TW gives me lower back pain pretty quickly as well. I'd do better if the seat was inlined as opposed to declined. I also ride goofy in that I like to sit back further than I should. I sit on the grab strap and I'm only 5'9" tall and have a 32" inseam. I think Yamaha designed the bike to have the driver sit up closer to the gas tank.. But it's my bad posture.. I ride lazily hunched over.
    1993 TW200

I had the same problem. Tailbone hurt so bad after riding I could hardly walk. I went with the seat Concepts seat and it made a huge difference. I also use a air cushion on top of that I made from the pillowtop of a old air mattress. I just cut it off of the mattress and strapped it down on top of the seat. I can go for hours and hours now. Seat Concepts is the way to go. I also tried the padded bicycle shorts with the tail bone pad. They helped alittle but not much. I think it's part bad riding posture as well.

Tracy
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    The TW gives me lower back pain pretty quickly as well.

Try a kidney belt. Sometimes known as a stocker's belt or a construction belt. Cheaper and more breathable than a motocross belt. I never ride without one, and it doubles my endurance to 4-5 hours.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links