Oiling chain
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiling chain

How often should I spray lube on the chain. I tried a search and didn't come up with anything. I have some liquid wrench lube that says it works on motorcycle chains so that is what I will be using. The bike is a stock 2013.

Thanks

Medsker

Manual says to lube the chain every 300 miles.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

The bad thing is it didn't even occur to me to look there

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'd use a lube designed for motorcycle chains, liquid wrench is too thin. It will fling off quickly. A good chain lube goes on thin to penetrate then thickens to stay. Lube both sides of the chain, you want it to penetrate the side plates of the chain and get to the pins and inside of the rollers. Anything on the outside just holds the dirt to make an abrasive goo that wears the rollers and sprockets. I lube mine every 250 miles, it's easier to remember by watching the odometer. 250,500,750,1000 mile increments.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I use super thick gear oil (like 90w/130 or something crazy like that). it stays on the chain.
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

I'll go get some proper lube to do it with. I like the idea of keeping track easy at the 250 marks. Gear oil would probably work well but man that stuff stinks. I hate doing my diffs on my truck because my hands smells like gear oil for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by jckosnow View Post
    I use super thick gear oil (like 90w/130 or something crazy like that). it stays on the chain.

Ditto! I wash in kerosene and soak overnight in 85/140 oil and do it every 300 to 400 miles for asphalt riding and after every dirt ride regardless of mileage.

It is an aftermarket chain and I now have almost 20K miles on it. Next time around I am using an o-ring chain.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I use O-ring chains. There is no way to oil the pins and bushings which cause the chain to elongate, so I don't. Haven't oiled a chain since O-rings came out in the mid eighties. That said, a good rubber lubricant will lengthen the life span of the O-rings and hence the pins and bushings.

Anything on the outside of the chain that attracts dust creates a grinding compound that wears the sprockets faster which puts more stress on the pins and bushings which shortens their lifespan.

I used to adjust the chain as many as 2-3 times in a hundred mile muddy enduro. O-rings ended that.

My 1/2 cent.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by medsker View Post
    How often should I spray lube on the chain. I tried a search and didn't come up with anything. I have some liquid wrench lube that says it works on motorcycle chains so that is what I will be using. The bike is a stock 2013.

Thanks

Medsker
    I am using a spray on dry lube for chains. You can most likely get it at your bike shop. I have a bit over 2000 mi on mine and only adjusted the chain once and is the stock chain.

Good chain lubes made by companies like Motul go on like liquid and dry like a hard wax. You can get DuPont or Gunk brand chain lube at WalMart for only a few dollars which doesn't stink like gear oil.

My ritual is to put the front wheel in a chock, jack up the back of the bike and spin the rear tire while cleaning the chain with a rag and WD-40 to remove dirt and the old chain wax. Then I spray new Motul chain lube on there. Probably about once every 500 miles. I have 15,000 miles on the o-ring chain on my 650cc street bike with no wear to the sprockets. The TW should be fine because it has a lot less torque to stretch chains. The flipside is that you ride it in dirt.. Dirty chains cause wear to metal parts. The drier wax picks up less dirt than something wet with gear oil.
    1993 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links