For those that have a Shinko SR241
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Leisure Time Larry
  • 2 Post By Delboy
  • 1 Post By Delboy

Thread: For those that have a Shinko SR241

Tomorrow I am going to buy a new front tire for my wife’s bike. It will either be a 244 or a 241. I already have the 244 so I know how it performs. I am looking for little more info on the 241.

I have read all of the posts on here on the 241. Thanks to Lizardbreath for introducing this tire to the forum. Early reports indicate it is good off road and in sand. I haven’t seen many discussions of its performance in mud. But my main questions are:

• How is it on paved roads at the TW’s upper speed limit (60mph-ish) and for cornering?

• Are there any paved road situations where the stock front Bridgestone would have an advantage over the 241?

I don't mind being another field tester for the SR241 as far as durability, puncture resistance, mud and other off-road situations. However, I first want to verify that it is safe and reliable on the road for my wife who is new to the TW.

Thanks for any help.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    OWT, I don't want you to make a purchase on my word alone, but I really like my 241. As far as your questions, I've ran it over 60 mph, up to 67, and I think it's great on pavement. No problems that I can tell. Now, the stocker IS a good pavement tire, it's just everywhere else that it sucks. The 241 is very close to the stock tire in size, and weighs only a little more. While I don't know if it is "better" on road than the stocker, I can say that it's WAY better everywhere else. Now, I've never ran the 244, so I can't compare those two. If you do get her a 241, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it vs. the stock front vs. the 244! Safe riding to you both however you decide.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The tire did well in the dirt and tracked true in all but the heaviest of gravel. If the gravel was 3-4" deep the tire would wash out. On the road the tire seemed to require more input in the turns. I have not been pushing the tire so as yet I can't comment on its full potential. The stock tires are awesome on the road but the front was a coward off road..

Is this enough weights?

cowboyjeff and Nick-Digs-Cali like this.

What kind of mileage have people been getting out of them?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Lrppcer and Delboy,

Thank you both for the detailed and timely feedback on the 241. That’s good stuff.

Lrppcer, thanks for letting me know that the upper speed capability was OK.

Delboy, you mentioned the possibility of front-end washout in HEAVY gravel with the 241. Did you ride the stock front tire in that same gravel? If so, how did it compare there?

(Your bike and tire both look good in the pics - thanks for including them).

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Old White Truck View Post
    Delboy, you mentioned the possibility of front-end washout in HEAVY gravel with the 241. Did you ride the stock front tire in that same gravel? If so, how did it compare there?

(Your bike and tire both look good in the pics - thanks for including them).

Both stock and the 241 washed out in deep gravel. However, the 241 was a big improvement off road. I should also mention that the tire pressures were set for on road, i.e. 22psi front 24psi rear
    cowboyjeff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    The tire did well in the dirt and tracked true in all but the heaviest of gravel. If the gravel was 3-4" deep the tire would wash out. On the road the tire seemed to require more input in the turns. I have not been pushing the tire so as yet I can't comment on its full potential. The stock tires are awesome on the road but the front was a coward off road..

Is this enough weights?

WOW,it took that much weight to balance the tire?.

Sponosred Links