Stupid Handle Bar Question...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yes, I'm a newb with some of this stuff...sorry . So, I just bought the Pro Taper bars as it seems they would be easiest to install...Well, not for me...LOL. Two questions...1. The numbers on the ends of the bars seem to indicate where you would maybe cut the bars to match the stock length of the exsisting bars? Is that right? Otherwise, it doesn't seem that the cables will be long enough without getting new ones. Seconds, I'm assuming that I have to cut off the stock grips and get new ones?

Thanks for the patience guys. I went up one tooth on the front sprocket and it has made a huge difference on the street!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bsullivan161 View Post
    Yes, I'm a newb with some of this stuff...sorry . So, I just bought the Pro Taper bars as it seems they would be easiest to install...Well, not for me...LOL. Two questions...1. The numbers on the ends of the bars seem to indicate where you would maybe cut the bars to match the stock length of the exsisting bars? Is that right? Otherwise, it doesn't seem that the cables will be long enough without getting new ones. Seconds, I'm assuming that I have to cut off the stock grips and get new ones?

Thanks for the patience guys. I went up one tooth on the front sprocket and it has made a huge difference on the street!!!
    Welcome,I have a 94 model with the protaper bars,and I left them at stock length.I had to reroute some cables is all.And yes you will need new grips.P.S. cut or don't cut, it's a personal choice.Myself I like the extra added length.
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Welcome,I have a 94 model with the protaper bars,and I left them at stock length.I had to reroute some cables is all.And yes you will need new grips.P.S. cut or don't cut, it's a personal choice.Myself I like the extra added length.

So you're saying that, although the new bars are about an inch longer, that the stock cables should be fine?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bsullivan161 View Post
    So you're saying that, although the new bars are about an inch longer, that the stock cables should be fine?
    They work fine for me on my 94.
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post

You can get nicer grips really cheap but if you want to keep yours blow under them with air from a compressor and they slip off way easier.

I have the ProTaper bars on both my TW's and with a little rerouting of the cables they work just fine.I like the added width.

Stick the tube under the grips and spray some WD-40 in there and they will slip right off.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Man, you guys are awesome...thanks a lot! If I can figure out how to get a picture on here, I'll upload one...

Ok..DONE! The WD-40 worked like a charm. I had to drill a couple of small holes into the new bars since the throttle and one other part had a small 'plug' to fit or be placed at a certain angle...no problem. Re-routing the cables took a bit of thinking, but all done. The new bars look and feel great. Thanks everyone!

Congratulations!

It is nice to have you report back on your success.

Hey Brian, can you tell me how to post a picture? In other forums that I go to, you simply hit the 'insert image' link and find it on your computer. Seems this site is different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links