Mounting an Action Packer or similar product to a Cyclerack.
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mounting an Action Packer or similar product to a Cyclerack.

I bought an 8 gallon Action Packer. I set it on top of the Cyclerack and in many ways it is a very good fit with the rack and with the bike. Being gray and black it also matches the colors of my 2008. I like it.

I spent about an hour this evening trying to figure out a way to mount this. I carried a bunch of metal back and forth from Old White Truck’s scrap pile and didn’t figure anything out. I even made some felt pen marks here and there. Still nothing was looking satisfactory.

I stood with my hands on my hips and turned my head sideways – no luck.

I sat on the chopping block and mimicked Rodin’s The Thinker pose – I looked damn impressive but… still nothing.

I repeatedly and slowly pulled my beard with my thumb and forefinger – for a minute there I thought I had something – but no.

Finally I pulled out all the stops and asked my dog. He looked at me, then looked at the rack, then tilted his head sideways and… picked up his ball and dropped it at my feet. Man’s Best Friend indeed.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Typically I put a pair of flat bars under the rack and then run 4 bolts up through the bottom of drilled holes in the container/trunk. This time I am looking for a better or different idea or pics of how someone else has done it.

(Not that it helps me, but at times like this I really like Toyanvil’s latest custom-made rack wherein he incorporated a pair of lateral bars with rows of holes. That was a great idea.)

My creative juices are not flowing and my dog is an idiot. Help!

Duct tape??
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

">Don,t know if this helps, but I welded on these 3/16x1" barstock tabs to mount my ammo can with 5/16" bolts and lock nuts. I tried wingnuts first, but they vibrated loose quickly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Depends on wheather or not you want to remove the action packer eaily / quickly. I mounted a larger pelican case to my cyclerack using 4 ea 5/16 U bolts with the nuts inside the case. I used fender washers, nyloc nuts, and cut the bolts off flush with a die grinder. You can pad the nuts as desired. Some people make a fitted plywood liner for the bottom of the action packer. rw

It's not an Action Packer, but here's how I mounted my Pelican case.

I used a 1" board (3/4" actual thickness) under my case and some 3/8" U-bolts over the crossmembers of the rack through the board and the bottom of the case. This mounting method has been rock solid.

I use a method similar to Howard, above, but went ahead and welded 5/16 nuts to the bottom of the tabs before welding them to the rack. Then, bolts with fender washers are screwed in from the inside of the box. I thought about a whole plywood bottom inside to bolt through, but opted for plywood washers under the fender washers since the bottom of the box is not flat.

I laid my TW over in a mud hole Saturday and the box came through without a scratch, though it is not waterproof.

I'd like a Pelican case of the same size but I don't think they make one. For $18, the utility box is a good value.

Good luck.

i use these things i got from a plumbing supplier they work perfect i just clamped them on to my cyclerack and tightened them up and then used a lock nut to the bolt that tightens them down just to keep them from coming loose then i used a paint marker on top of the 3/8 nut that is welded to the bracket to mark the bottom of the box to show were to drill the 4 holes it worked perfect and the box comes on or off in minutes you can also add 3/8 eye hooks to the brackets and use them for tying stuff to your cycleracks and they will not damage your rack theyv will go any where on your cyclerack i also used rubber strips between the box and rack to keep the box from scratching the rack i have had them on the box now with no problems

these are the eye bollts that fit these brackets you just cut them with a hack saw to the length you want

i'm planning on mounting my milk crate a little better on my moose rack...both TW-Brian's u-bolt idea and Ridgeline's cushion clamp idea are great!...i would like to make my crate a little more easily removable but at the same time not have any slop...not sure how i'm going to do this but i'm playing around with a few ideas at the moment

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Instead of a piece of plywood inside the aluminum case (from Harbor Freight) I mounted on my cyclerack, I used a polypropelene cutting board to add support to the bolts and washers going through the bottom. It won't rot or delaminate and is easy to clean and is cheap enough. I have clamps made of aluminum strap, lined with rubber from an old inner tube, around the bars on the cyclerack that the bolts go through. Sturdy and also cheap.

In addition to the U clamps that TW-brian used, you can also find J clamps that will fit around the cyclerack bars, and is just one less hole to drill and line up.
    Bagger likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links