TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Post #2 - Report on 42T sprocket.

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Slideways 
#1 ·
This forum, as is the case with most specialty forums, is a lot of fun and has been a big help. Thanks to all who contribute!

I've always wanted a TW200 as unique is something I like. Bought an Aprilia SR50 scooter thinking a) the wife would ride it around town (yea, that never happened) and
I'd use it as a townie ride. Long story short the scooter was not for me and it was sold. A used 2002 appears on Craig's List with just over 1200 miles. Now it's mine. This will be my townie bike and I am really lovin' it. A couple of things bugged me though. A first gear so low I started in second and again gearing so low I felt like I was flogging the poor thing to death at 50mph. Witth the advice found here I decided to go for the 42T sprocket. Man the parts for these bikes are everywhere and affordable. Install was a snap, had to knock a couple of links out of the chain but no biggie. It should be said that this will be almost 100% a street machine and economy is a big deal to me. I drive a 2003 Honda Insight and have averaged almost 70mpg for the whole 140,000mi that are on it so getting less mpg out of my TW200 would bother me. Well, today was the first ride. First gear is usable and the revs in fifth are noticably lower. Net effect? Much better for me and my use. Most of my fifth gear use is at 35 to 45mph and not being able to pull really high speed in top gear is not important. Will report back on gas mileage.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the report. Keep us updated!

I live in and near a bunch of hills. Fifth gear won't pull a lot of them so I drop to 4th and take it to 50 mph indicated. Yes, TW sings a bit in the upper RPM registers but not unbearably.

The upside to living in and near these hills are the great forest service roads. I find 1st gear is needed on some of the really big hills hidden in spots, and in truth, a couple of times I've wished for an even lower 1st!

One of the great things about the TW is parts availability and the versatility of the bike with different parts.

#3 ·
Well, it took a while to run through my first tank of gas most of which (but not all) with the 42T sprocket. It works great for me as stated in the first post, 50 to 55mph is just no problem on level ground. The mpg? 92.4mpg! Mind you every trip into town includes a trip back and the return has a 500' elevation gain in about two miles. I know, I know there's the downhill headed out but the ups and downs never seem to average out the the mileage you get on the flats. It must be a physics thing...

Color me happy. Matter of fact there's a stupid grin on my face the whole time I'm on the thing

#4 ·
i got 90 mpg twice on last two tanks. i have stock 14/50. i roll up to 55 mph cruise at 45 mph. dgr muffler, clean oil, iridium spark plug, never touched the carb, im 165lbs. i almost went 47 rear sprocket but hit one big hill down south and barely pulled it in fifth. went up north and lucky i had superlow first on some rocks and beach stuff and more steep hills. now i know the 14/50 is just right for me. 14/47 would have not been happy sunday.

#5 ·
Time for an update. There have been 4 fill-ups and over 400mi. Since my last report. Average mileage has been 94.3mpg with a best of 112.3mpg. Average speed is typically 35mph to 50mph and yes I drive it like I'm drivin' Miss Daisy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.