TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Grand Theft TW

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Joboo 
#1 ·
First post here, but I wanted to share my little tale and seek some advice from members.

I have always wanted a TW, I've always loved the look and every time I rode one they just felt perfect for my style of off road riding. I'm a larger guy, so I do look a little bit of a Shriner when I ride mine but I totally loved my little bike. After having it for a year it was stolen. I had it parked at a friends house and two local meat heads walked it off. Six months later, this week as a matter of fact, I received a call from the Sheriff's Department letting me know they had recovered it, five months ago. Unfortunately, it was not unmolested. Here is a before and after:

Thankfully it is mostly cosmetic. Why he removed all the plastics the tank and the seat... then started added CRAP (you can see the cowling and odd ball tank in the second picture) is beyond me. I've put a parts list together to get back to the way it was and it adds up to about $2300.00. Do you guys have any suggestions? If you were to start at the point I have, what would you do differently in making it rideable again. On a side note, he was actually caught riding it in this condition... no seat, holding that blue gas tank - trying to evade the police on a bike that can barely keep me at 55 mph

See less See more
#2 ·
So, I'm guessing it is mechanically sound and running just fine?

If so, depending on where you live, to help defray your costs, I will give you free of charge my stock gas tank. You'll have to repaint it, but hey, it's free!

Let me know.

#11 ·
Besides them popping the switch and hot-wiring it yeah it runs and still sounds good. Still only 800 miles. The offer for the gas tank is quite possibly one of the nicest offers I have ever received in my life. I'm in New Mexico I very much appreciate your offer and will PM you later.

If you're just out a set of plastics, a seat, and a tank, you won't have to spend $2300. Even if there's more issues, you're not gonna have to spend that. Piece together the body work used, paint it up how you want, there you go, the ultimate adventure bike. About a half hour to install everything.

If you've got that kinda money to just throw at the bike, that's different, but be sure you really love the TW or the TW you could make out of it, because it'll be hard to ever get your investment back.

What I would do, in that situation, with a bike that looks that decent, is probably a different exhaust just for some longevity (that one looks like it took a few bashes), a TCI skidplate and guards, new bars and risers, pegs, racks, improve the lighting a bit, better horn(s), better seat, sealed battery, good tires, stainless brake lines, Jimbo Shield, Lizard cooler, high fender (a proper fork brace would be awesome, maybe upgrade the suspension all over, and if I was resourceful enough, go for ronnydog's motor setup or something similar. Essentially, though, I'd keep the TW built for its purpose and just improve upon that. It's really not that bad looking and pretty close to a stock bike as it sits, it seems.

I probably went over board on the parts list. I used Motosport.com to price everything out including all the hardware. So I probably did overdo it. The D.A. wanted an idea of what the cost to rebuild or replace would be. I would be up for doing all the upgrades that the rest of you guys have done.

maybe try to find a donor/parts bike that you can swap over needed parts?

I'd think about a donor bike, or maybe check ebay.

Great idea.

new plastic (any color any year you desire - blue - black or white) a Clarke tank and a new oem seat for $87 from partzilla and your back on the road shining for about$450

btw buy the black 2008 and newer oem seat they are much cheaper than the black / blue 2006 seats at $150

the white plastic (again 2008 and later) is much cheaper than the blue (2007) or black (2005 - 2004) but it's all in stock at partzilla.com and free shipping for orders $250 and over

PS; re the theft - sorry to hear of it - glad you got something back - this crazy stuff is common in California!!!

Thanks for the tips. I haven't looked at partzilla, but I'm going to. I loved the blue... but I would be cool with another color too. Do the plastics take paint well?

It took the Sheriff's department five months to contact you after it was recovered? Wow!

Were you able to recover anything from insurance on the theft?

By the way, welcome to the forum. Where are you located?

Brian

Right! I had completely given up on getting it back. I've got another project bike but it's not even close to being done plus I can't take it down the trails around here when it is done. I'm in New Mexico, so yeah things are SLOW here.

bsullivan161' date='31 May 2013 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1370034919' post='77926 said:
So I'm assuming that you didn't have insurance? The difference for me to add Comp/Collision was $40 more a year. I pay $120 total with Liability for a brand new TW in NJ.

I had liability only, stupid I know. I've learned that lesson. I do wonder how the insurance company would have handled a situation like this. I've never had a vehicle stolen, so I don't know how long they wait before paying on it.

#3 ·
Sorry that those meat heads stole your bike and thrashed it. If I were in your shoes, I'd use this as an excuse to re-build the TW to look like you would want. I get a new plastics kit, an oversize tank, and a seat concepts seat cover. You'd need to find an old seat to get the pan from it... But that's just me.

Where are you located? I know several people would buy it from you as is....

#4 ·
it's a cali bike.....

glad you found it, and even though the meat heads trashed it, looks like you'll be able to get it back up and running.

#5 ·
If you're just out a set of plastics, a seat, and a tank, you won't have to spend $2300. Even if there's more issues, you're not gonna have to spend that. Piece together the body work used, paint it up how you want, there you go, the ultimate adventure bike. About a half hour to install everything.

If you've got that kinda money to just throw at the bike, that's different, but be sure you really love the TW or the TW you could make out of it, because it'll be hard to ever get your investment back.

What I would do, in that situation, with a bike that looks that decent, is probably a different exhaust just for some longevity (that one looks like it took a few bashes), a TCI skidplate and guards, new bars and risers, pegs, racks, improve the lighting a bit, better horn(s), better seat, sealed battery, good tires, stainless brake lines, Jimbo Shield, Lizard cooler, high fender (a proper fork brace would be awesome, maybe upgrade the suspension all over, and if I was resourceful enough, go for ronnydog's motor setup or something similar. Essentially, though, I'd keep the TW built for its purpose and just improve upon that. It's really not that bad looking and pretty close to a stock bike as it sits, it seems.

#6 ·
maybe try to find a donor/parts bike that you can swap over needed parts?

#8 ·
new plastic (any color any year you desire - blue - black or white) a Clarke tank and a new oem seat for $87 from partzilla and your back on the road shining for about$450

btw buy the black 2008 and newer oem seat they are much cheaper than the black / blue 2006 seats at $150

the white plastic (again 2008 and later) is much cheaper than the blue (2007) or black (2005 - 2004) but it's all in stock at partzilla.com and free shipping for orders $250 and over

PS; re the theft - sorry to hear of it - glad you got something back - this crazy stuff is common in California!!!

#13 ·
Incredible forum members here.

Admiral and Canadianshiver, God bless you for stepping up to help with your generosity towards this gentleman.

#15 ·
I wanted to offer the headlight cowl, side plastics and rear fender. I see you have a front fender already. They are currently on a 87 blue/white bike that has just gone to be restored. I bought new plastics for the restoration. It could be a month or two though before I could get them to you. It looks like things are getting handled pretty well at this point, but feel free to get hold of me if you still need these parts. Get the full coverage insurance from here on out.

#16 ·
I don't know what to say guys, the level of generosity here... I just wasn't really expecting that.

I'm going to order a full set of plastics from ProCycle (thanks mrbracket), good price and I can get the SuperMoto Fender.

I think all I really need to get it ride-able after that are these items - part numbers pulled from PartZilla:

Seat

Fuel Tank

Meter Bracket - 15A-83519-00-00

Pilot Box Upper - 5EK-83568-00-00

Headlight Stay - 5FY-23174-00-00

I want to thank you all again for the help. I would much rather purchase parts from you, the members here. Please let me know what you would want for the part, shipping and handling... It takes time to pack stuff and get it ready for shipping.

#17 ·
First off I am sorry that you got screwed like that! I had a custom Busa ripped off and I am still bitter about it to this day. Even with good insurance your INS co. may not repair or replace all of your parts. My TW ins is less than $100 a year for full coverage. Ins. co are not your friend when it comes to a claim.

If you can get blood from a stone then good for you. I doubt the scum bags who stole your bike will ever pay.

For all you guys willing to donate parts that is amazing! I think its great that no one offered to sell their spare parts at some great discount.

#18 ·
I've got an extra used pilot box. It's yours if you want it. PM me a shipping address.

#19 ·
Sorry to hear the bad news about your TW being stolen! Nothing ticks me off more then these POS individuals thinking they can just take what they want! I hope they thru that POS in jail after catching him!

This is why I love this place! So many kind folks here stepping up to help others out in need!

Bravo to you guys for that!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.