Vermont registration success for no title bike - Page 10
Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Vermont registration success for no title bike

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Very Cool.
    Isn't a Yamaha Zuma already legal to license and register in NJ or was there some other paperwork issue missing?
    seller didn't have the title. NJ has a stupid packet you have to fill out and jump through hoops of fire while you wait months to hear anything back.

Quote Originally Posted by martianone View Post
    Sorry some are having local challenges with registrations!
    Being a VT resident, please don't burden our DMV with your issues;
    It just adds cost and taxes for real Vermonters.
    Thanks !
    real vermonters? Its like saying someone who legally moved to the US isn't considered a real american. There is no burden. Vermont is strapped for cash as it is so anything they can get will help the state. And if it were such a burden, the state wouldn't allow it. A few clicks of a keyboard to run a VIN check and a printer to print regsitrations and inmates stamping a plate is hardly a burden.
    goldenhtr and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedge79 View Post
    real vermonters? Its like saying someone who legally moved to the US isn't considered a real american. There is no burden. Vermont is strapped for cash as it is so anything they can get will help the state. And if it were such a burden, the state wouldn't allow it. A few clicks of a keyboard to run a VIN check and a printer to print regsitrations and inmates stamping a plate is hardly a burden.
    I know people pay to do this vs. working with their legislators and local officials to be able to do so locally.
    That is a key philosophical issue with this.
    Agree with above that someone who legally moved to US may not be considered a real American.
    Real Americans have been fighting for homeland security since 1492.

I am a Vermonta,
    I do what I Wanta.

This topic is more than 5 years old, perhaps the moderators can sunset it and associated posts?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Ride long & prosper

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This has been a helpful thread for many members, we'll leave it up and running for now.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by martianone View Post
    I know people pay to do this vs. working with their legislators and local officials to be able to do so locally.
    That is a key philosophical issue with this.
    Agree with above that someone who legally moved to US may not be considered a real American.
    Real Americans have been fighting for homeland security since 1492.

I am a Vermonta,
    I do what I Wanta.

This topic is more than 5 years old, perhaps the moderators can sunset it and associated posts?
    Just hold on there a second Vermonta! This topic is 5 years old because it has been relevant to this forum for 5 years. Now you want the moderators to simply "Sunset this entire thread and all associated posts". You must be kidding!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Please follow up on the NJ transfer part.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedge79 View Post
    I don't own a TW (one day perhaps)but i had to register here to share my VT registration experience. I printed the registration form from their website, filled it out as best as i could. I took 3 pictures of the bike i own (2003 Yamaha Zuma). 1 of the VIN sticker/plate that is attached to the outside of the bike and because my VIN-on-frame was next to it under a plastic cap. This may differ for other bikes, im sure, so you will have to have seperate pictures of each VIN unless you got a bike like mine where it all fits in one frame. The other two pics i took were full profile pics of the bike itself. Side view, angled to show signal lights, front and back. I determined from the NADA that my bike is valued around $400. Purchased for $700. Paid $42 (6% of 700) for tax, $30 for reg fee in the form of a money order. Bundled all that off with the bill-of-sale in a double stamped envelope to the VT DMV. For 2 weeks i was pacing and nervous as hell because i wasn't sure if i filled out everything required. But to my surprise (and checking the money order status to see if it was cashed) i recieved the reg and plate.

I attached the registration (redacted) i filled out which they returned along with the plate. The process is super easy. Not sure if i have to take all that to an inspection station and then to their DMV. Hopefully NJ won't give me static when going to transfer it. We shall see.
    Decided to keep the bike registered in VT. $30 a year vs $65. It's a no-brainer considering cops never bother the scooter riders unless you are breaking the law which is pretty hard to do so long as you don't speed and use your turn signals. Unless they start giving me sh*t about it but until then, i don't see the point in wasting more money for what is already road legal.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

rumor has it that if you move to KS and don't update your DL in a certain amount of time, they suspend your DL. I think tags work the same here, so I wouldn't chance confiscation to save a couple bucks on my tag. I would not hesitate to use Vermont to title my bike if I needed it. And I have passed on some good deals because of not having title.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Wish me luck. Went out registered mail today with all the frigging paperwork:

IMG_2349.JPG

For additional Luck I'm munching on these today:

IMG_2350.jpg

Why not?
    IMG_2289.JPG
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Good Luck! Vt. probably will allow it to get registered but will NY or NJ allow it to pass a required inspection is the $64,000 question. Thinking you will need a brake and plate light, blinkers and a working horn and hope the inspection station never checks the tires for DOT approval. Check with Aaron at fattireconversionns.com in NH and he might be able to get you hooked up with all the necessary gear.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Registered 2 day delivery mail on Monday, 6/17.
    They received on Wednesday, 6/19.
    On Friday, 6/21 my check was cashed (I was checking every day) and they mailed back to me on their dime (.95 cents), regular mail.
    Tuesday, 6/25 this (below) came in the mail... that's incredible turn-a-round time for being efficient via snail-mail from any DMV that I have ever, ever dealt with.
    Kudo's to VT. DMV:

IMG_4568.JPG

There really is no place to hang a plate because it never really came with a holder. And I really didn't want to put any holes into the fender figuring this thing has survived 33 years without someone drilling something into it.
    GOPR8965.JPG

I used that that butch-type of velcro that they use for EZ-Pass's/Toll Pass window transponders on the top of the plate and simple paper folder clips on the bottom. Was perfectly fine for the 30-40 minute ride I took around town. Plus I can take the plate on and off. I might get one of the OEM looking racks that coincidently Cycleracks sell for "BW's" and can hang the plate and frame from that.
    IMG_2467.jpg

This is probably the longest period of time this bike has been ridden many years. The guy I bought it from back in March had a small dirt track in his backyard. But because he couldn't ride it on the roads from trail-to-trail like a true dual-sport he rarely used or even started it up. I had a long trail of smoke following me whenever I gave it a lot of throttle but the engine has tons of torque and power and not a blip of hesitation. No leaks whatsoever. Rings gotta be stuck and if they need to be changed... rings and a new piston cost somewhere around $100.00. It's the OEM body and frame parts that get expensive when you buy one of these as a project.
    Taking a curve or turn too sharp obviously will get you in trouble with those huge tires but I don't have to tell you about that. This is not for pavement riding except to the local candy store. Towards the end of my ride the smoking effect had settled. Even though I had changed the oil & filter a couple months ago when I got it I never swapped out the old fuel and it did smell funky so I drained that after my ride. Filled it with a tank-full of ethanol-free and I'll add some of that Chevron Fuel cleaner and change the oil again after I blow thru that tank.

I have a few motorcycles like the TW & Ural that always get "looks" and a bunch of "what's that" questions. Believe me, riding a BW on the actual road/street the questions are on steroids. I gotta add some mirrors, turn signals and a horn just for safety's sake (my own) if I'm going to ride this even just locally and around town.
    I mean, if I was in a Police car I would pull me over even though I was using hand-signals. Having those items further legitimizes it I'd hope.

Main thing was getting it plated so I could play with it in the Jersey Pine Barrens and a few other state parks that require a true registration and license plate in order for you to freely use the dirt roads and land. Step #1 in that direction has sorta been accomplished.

I have no need to ever transfer it to NY or NJ for plates but for a future owner ... having a plated BW is somewhat of a real rarity around these parts.

Have to say this particular thread was a huge help in getting things sorted as well as 2 of my friends who did this before with a dirt bike (no papers) and a car (no papers).

Proud Papa:
    GOPR8964.JPG
    Last edited by stagewex; 06-29-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Sponosred Links