I'm Venting!!!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Venting!!!

The local Yamaha dealer has started charging $2.00 per part for every ordered part to cover "freight costs"!! In other words, if I need 5 parts that aren't in stock, I'll have to pay an additional $10.00 on top of the parts prices. I might as well order it myself online and have it delivered to my door! Is this happening at the dealers you guys go to?
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

PCP Motorsports in South Sacramento adds no additional charges to their parts orders, and in most cases, prices are as low as you can find online. I suppose it has to do with how much ordering each dealer does from a particular manufacturer.

As of my last order my local dealer isn't doing that. In fact most of their parts come in equal to or below online pricing.

What HAS changed is that awhile back Yamaha forced them to purge the info for anything over 10 years old from their computers and get rid of anything printed on paper such as shop manuals. Even thir mechanics have to go online for basic info.

Fortunately they still have a couple of REAL parts guys who can help me circumvent this stupidity or even just give me the freedom to rummage through their stock until I find what I need.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

In a related issue, my local Yamaha dealer doesn't seem to stock anything for the TW. When I call to order, they want a deposit........I tell them if it's going to be that complicated, I'll order "On Line" and have it delivered to my door- that fixes that. As for an order charge, there hasn't been one that comes in on a "Thursday stock order". OM
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

Nothing around here yet............ Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. That would Pi$$ me off.. OMM.

Parts are already marked up approx. 100% and then add another few bucks on top of it!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Parts are already marked up approx. 100% and then add another few bucks on top of it!
    "Wow" Things sure have changed. Back when I was slinging parts it was about 40 percent. Also during the slow season some dealers did charge a shipping fee. Unless they ordered above a certain dollar amount then they paid shipping. We used to give customers a choice. Wait for our stock order or if you want it sooner then we charged a few extra bucks to cover it. At most honest dealerships the profit margins are pretty slim. Just think Sears gets at least a 600 percent mark up and no one complains. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine works for the Sears warehouse and let me see an invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    "Wow" Things sure have changed. Back when I was slinging parts it was about 40 percent. Also during the slow season some dealers did charge a shipping fee. Unless they ordered above a certain dollar amount then they paid shipping. We used to give customers a choice. Wait for our stock order or if you want it sooner then we charged a few extra bucks to cover it. At most honest dealerships the profit margins are pretty slim. Just think Sears gets at least a 600 percent mark up and no one complains. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine works for the Sears warehouse and let me see an invoice.
    When I worked at a Yamaha dealership in the mid 80's, if dealer cost was $25.00, customer costs was $50.00. If it was a big dollar item, the mark up was a little less. I don't mind supporting the local dealer, but if I need a handful of parts, $2.00 a a part for every non-stock item seems ridiculous. I'm not talking about express delivery, just regular "it will be here in a week" parts.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

If it's 2 dollars a part then I agree it's nutz. We charged a few bucks for the entire order.

My local dealer does not stock any parts (other than simple demand items like chain parts) and for each order they charge a "special order" fee. So all orders are "special", go figure.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links