Changing engine bolts
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys, Im just wondering if anyone knows if I can buy allan or hex head bolts for my tw125? I think that the bottom end, where the crappy philip's head bolts are located is the same for both the 200 and the 125. Can I get an entire replacement kit, or do I have to shop around for the different sizes required?

Thanks guys.

You check ebay that's where I got mine. It was "alloy bolts kit"

This is the one I bought. Seems like its the same one Rocky TW bought too. I love them. So easy to put on and take off.

Just remember, you need to use ANTI-SIEZE on the threads, NOT thread locker. If you don't, the dissimilar metals will bond to each other. Its not a big hassle, just make sure you use anti-sieze. Oh, and the torque on the bolt heads will be different. I just snug mine up and they're fine.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Rainman, do you have a photo of your bike with them in there? I am curious if they look goofy because they're polished chrome against (in my case) a dark metallic gray engine. Also, did the Alloyboltz kit work well for you? Right length of bolts and right amount of bolts?

Thanks! I've been contemplating buying the kit myself just for the heck of it.
    1993 TW200

thanks guys, that looks awesome. The heads of my bolts are all really badly stripped, so these are a welcome addition to the bike renovation, haha,

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    Rainman, do you have a photo of your bike with them in there? I am curious if they look goofy because they're polished chrome against (in my case) a dark metallic gray engine. Also, did the Alloyboltz kit work well for you? Right length of bolts and right amount of bolts?

Thanks! I've been contemplating buying the kit myself just for the heck of it.

They don't look funny. I thought the same thing when I ordered them. I thought I'd have some "bling bling" but no, they aren't that shinny. They look great. I was living on borrowed time with my old Phillips/JIS headed bolts in there. The heads were badly stripped and it was a matter of time before I totally stripped the heads off.

I give this kit an 8 out of 10, but remember, its for the XT225 too. There were some left over bolts and washers, which is fine. The bolts for the camshaft cover were too long, but they did fit just fine, it was just kind of weird. They all worked though. The engine looks better and I'm not scared to clean my oil filter now. You will NOT get the lower oil filter bolt. Its a shoulder bolt, but it was okay with me, because the new bolt heads matched it.

I did go to my local hardware store, metal supplier, and another store to price out bolts for the engine. I can't remember the exact price, but it was at least double what this kit is. This kit is good, the price is right, and it works. I'm a happy customer.

1990 TW200

I went to the local metric bolt store http://www.mrmetric.com/ where if you go down and pick up the bolts there is no S&H charge, and made my own kits, one for each TW. The total price was very low. I am not sure but I think it was less than $5 for each kit.

Anyway, one kit was with Allen or socket head bolts, the other was a standard hex head bolt.

And what they look like after about a year of use.

Make sure to change the two bolts the hold the large cam sprocket cover in place -- makes finding TDC very easy. I believe 2 additional M6x25 bolts will do the trick.

It is a bit of a hassle doing it this way but the price is a lot less and if you are a tightwad / cheapskate it is well worth the effort.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Thanks for the photos and the additional shopping list to do it piecemeal.

Someone has been into my clutch side but never the sprocket side. And they must have used an impact driver because the phillips screws are all fine. I don't mind phillips screws since I own and use an impact driver, but hex heads are just quicker. I'll probably put together a kit or order one.
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    And they must have used an impact driver because the phillips screws are all fine. I don't mind phillips screws since I own and use an impact driver, but hex heads are just quicker.

One of the reasons we strip a lot of Philips head screws on Japanese bikes is that for the most part we are using the wrong screwdriver to remove them. Most Philips screwdrivers you buy are US standard, whereas most of the hardware on our bikes is JIS, Japanese Industrial Standard.

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tool...-products.html

Get yourself a good set of JIS screwdrivers and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.
    GapRunr

Current bikes TW200 * R1200GS ADV * R80g/s * KLR250 Miami Vice Edition * Hawk GT - For sale!

Quote Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
    One of the reasons we strip a lot of Philips head screws on Japanese bikes is that for the most part we are using the wrong screwdriver to remove them. Most Philips screwdrivers you buy are US standard, whereas most of the hardware on our bikes is JIS, Japanese Industrial Standard.

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tool...-products.html

Get yourself a good set of JIS screwdrivers and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

Good point, and you're absolutely right. I just wish someone told the previous owner of my bike that!

1990 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links