Hollow rear axle please..
Close

I see the TW200 comes with a solid rear axle. My pitbull strapless restraint system secures my bikes (DRZ and Vmax) by their hollow axle's. It captures the nut on one side and pin inside on other. I really want to use the pitbull SRS on a TW200 I'm thinking about buying and would probably be a deal breaker if I cant.

Does anyone sell a hollow axle? Or could I lathe a hole on the bolt head left side? 1/2" deep by 1/2" diameter? Maybe 3/8" diameter?

Can anyone tell me the length and diameter of the TW200 rear axle please?

Thanks!

The axle is only 16mm. You could have one gundrilled, but a 3/8" hole drilled on the hex side would leave very little meat where the bolt head joins the shaft. It's possible that the bolt head could shear off. I'd kill for a hollow axle for the weight savings but I'd want it built differently.

I'm thinking you could have something like a shallow version of the exle pegs used on trick bicycles made up to serve as "cups" for your tiedown system? Or even a couple of tabs that would sandwich between the swingar and the bolt head with holes for your mounting system that are offeset from the axle.

Axle length is 14.5", give or take.

If this is your dealbreaker good luck with anything Japanese at this price point and road-legal made in the last quarter-century.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    The axle is only 16mm. You could have one gundrilled, but a 3/8" hole drilled on the hex side would leave very little meat where the bolt head joins the shaft. It's possible that the bolt head could shear off. I'd kill for a hollow axle for the weight savings but I'd want it built differently.

I'm thinking you could have something like a shallow version of the exle pegs used on trick bicycles made up to serve as "cups" for your tiedown system? Or even a couple of tabs that would sandwich between the swingarm and the bolt head with holes for your mounting system that are offset from the axle.

If this is your deal breaker good luck with anything Japanese at this price point and road-legal made in the last quarter-century.

Id love to work something out, but it looks like the maximum width of the pitbull SRS is 14 1/4". I cant even get the H bar around the fat rear of the TW200 unless 1/4" of the axle could be removed. My DRZ axle is 20 mm with a 1/2" hole end to end. My Vmax is even bigger but both are narrower. I might just scrap the idea of having a bike that's easy for anyone to ride because the TW200 is the best.

here's a idea. Its a trailer fitting I could hook the pitbull to and its narrow.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I got one of these beefy aluminum wheel chock/stands from Condor when I bought a Triumph from a guy a couple years ago. I think dudes typically mount them to trailers to hold their Harleys up on the way to Sturgis or whatever, but I have found it VERY handy in my garage.

First, it stores bikes upright that don't have center stands, saving space in your garage. So my TW lives in this stand at night now. The stand also is really handy for working on bikes because you can back the rear wheel into it and jack the front end of the bike off the ground to work on the wheel, change tires, whatever. The same is true by jacking the bike with the front wheel in the chock to change out rear sprockets, lube a chain, etc...

I obviously didn't have to pay for mine since it came with a bike, but I highly recommend one. The issue is that I imagine they cost about twice what a Pitbull stand costs. I just find them to be really useful for various things.
    1993 TW200

Cycle Gear has something similar on sale:

Cycle Gear
    Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

91 TW200 aka "The Mule" :-)

03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsilver View Post
    Cycle Gear has something similar on sale:

Cycle Gear

I considered one of those for trailering.. But you still need tiedowns.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    The axle is only 16mm.

Could you measure the length of that axle more closely please? Like I mentioned, 14 1/4" might fit between the stand. And pitbull might make me parts to capture both nuts instead..

Sponosred Links