Help with parts
Close

Thread: Help with parts

I have two TW's, an 87 and a 99. Can anyone tell me if the turn signal/hi lo/ horn switch is repairable? The turn signal portion is not working..right side is mushy. Haven't taken it apart yet. Also, will other switch assemblies work with these bikes?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom in Wichita
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

I've never had the late model "push-to-cancel" units apart to check, but on the early model bikes like yours the switch is easily serviced.

There is a detent ball and spring inside the t/s switch. As long as nothing is bent, broken or missing you can take the switch apart, clean the switch contacts and clean and lube the detent arrangement with some dielectric grease and be good to go for another ten years. YMMV.

While you're in there you can also clean up horn button and headlight hi/low switch, as well.

There really isn't much to the switchgear. Once you get ito it you'll see how simple it is. But I recomend that you NOT try to work on it while it's still on the bike. Unplug it and remove it. Take it apart while it's inside a large cardboard box, or maybe work on it inside a large trash bag er sumpin'. The switch may be simple, but ff this is your first time taking one apart you may launch either the spring, the detent ball or one of the smaller screws into a black hole. You won't easily find replacements for any of those.

There's a lot of aftermarket and Yamaha switchgear which are functionally identical to the left switchgear of a TW. Most of the early XT stuff will plug right in and all of their guts will swap with early TW switchgear guts.

The right side kill/starter button switchgear is a bit of a different story because most modern bikes have a master cylinder which dictates a different orentation of the switchgear relative to the throttle cables. Some of the early stuff with drum brakes is oriented correctly but has no e-start button, etc.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziTWTom49 View Post
    I have two TW's, an 87 and a 99. Can anyone tell me if the turn signal/hi lo/ horn switch is repairable? The turn signal portion is not working..right side is mushy. Haven't taken it apart yet. Also, will other switch assemblies work with these bikes?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom in Wichita

Mushy?!?

I had one that fit that description... it had a spider egg sack in it.

Took the thing apart, cleaned it up nice & shiny, put it back together, and it worked fine.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've found gallon ziplock bags to handy to work on stuff with flying parts.
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

2002 Honda Spirit Shadow VT750

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

Thanks for your encouragement. I'll give it a try this weekend. Trying to get this TW fully safe for my girlfriend as she is very skittish about riding on the street. I love these awesome little bikes.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Sponosred Links