Ninja 250 to TW200?
Close

Ninja 250 to TW200?

Hey folks I was a long time ninja 250 owner and I loved the dang thing but I traded it away on a new vstrom. Well honestly I miss the little guy but want to try something a bit different this time. Has anyone owned both a ninja 250 and tw? I know top end is not comparable but I rarely ride fast anymore. Mostly just back and forth to work, never more that 55mph. Are they comparable, fun wise? Has anyone bought a new one recently? Are they going for msrp or can you get a deal on a 2012?

The TW can easily more fun than the ninja, if you know what to expect out of it. Firstly, the TW's 0-60 time is going to be in the 15+ second range at best rather than 7 seconds. Don't expect any kind of exciting acceleration, the TW is more like a tractor than anything. Top speed is generally 65-70, but don't expect to cruise at those speeds. A realistic cruise would be 50-55, some people will push it harder but personally I think it's too rough on the engine if you're looking for long term reliability. (30-50k miles)

If you can live with that, from there the TW excels in every category. Light, nimble (fun!) handling, excellent traction and of course the ability to literally anywhere you wish to go on and off road. I had the most fun on my TW exploring back roads at no more than 50 mph.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    I've ridden a couple of the Ninja 250s but not owned one, I would expect you to be very happy with a TW. It's a different type of fun, but I find it to be more fun, and more comfortable, than race styled bikes.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had a ninja 500 for year. Fun bike. The TW200 is way different but I really like it. I also like the BMW R1200GS I am riding right now and its awesome. So you see you don't have to compare them or pit them against one another. On the other had the Vstrom does nothing for me...
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

I have street bikes, dirt bikes and the TW. The best way I can describe the three would be sport bike for the street, mx for the dirt and the tw used on the street to get to the dirt.

i call mine the devil's tractor, it's a lot of fun and takes me to hell and back.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

apples and oranges

Agree with above comment...two totally different bikes. If I was going to be highway driving to work at 55 mph each day, I'd stay away from the TW...JMHO. Love the TW, but the Ninja will handle that type of riding much more easily. As far as fun...the TW blows it away...but I'm staying on basic streets and only occasionally on a highway where I ride at 50 mph from traffic light to traffic light for about 15 minutes.

Most of my driving back and forth to work is below 50 mph. Im going to try to pick up a tw here in about a week. In an small world type story, I was out looking at brand new tw's today when some guy rides in on a ninja 250 like the one I just traded in for my vstrom. Sure enough, same bike. I gave him my number in case he wanted to sell it as I never should have traded on such a boring bike as this dl650a. Going to give the tw a shot though. Im away next week but I have my eye on a used one Im going to try to pick up when I get back. Sitting on one today, it just felt like fun!

Sponosred Links