Passed my Basic Rider Course
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Passed my Basic Rider Course

Passed my Basic Rider Course

Here in Florida we must pass the Basic Rider Course before we can get the motorcycle endorsement on our license. This weekend I took and passed the course, and it was way easier than I thought it would be. Now I can begin commuting to work, about 20 miles of highway riding into town.

You guys got any tips for my further riding education?

Congratulations on your new license. We just had a long time rider lose a leg because he didn't look again before a left turn and got hit by a van. The van was behind another car he was waiting for to go, when the car went by he left not seeing the van in the far lane. It broadsided him. Do not be in a hurry and never relax your efforts to be safe. Be wary of everything out there, there are some people that just do not see motorcycles. Take care and enjoy.

Congrats!!!! I think it should be like that in all states. I had my licence when I took the BRC and learned a TON. It may even have saved my skin a couple times.

As far as further education....Off-road school! Nothing teaches you better balance than sliding the tires around in the dirt

I've done
    BRC
    Motocross School (still take lessons)
    American Supercamp (VERY cool, will be back)
    Rawhyde Adventure Bike School (Epic!)

Would love to:
    Track Day/School
    Trials School
    Enduro School

Having fun is the most important thing!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    My summation of riding motorcycles safely is "avoidance". Knowing where every vehicle is around you, know where the blind spots are around those vehicles and avoid the blind spots, look to see if the other drivers around you are looking at you and know you are there, thus stressing my great dislike for tinted windows in vehicles.
    Mel

Quote Originally Posted by 5chord View Post
    American Supercamp (VERY cool, will be back)
    Just looked this up, it looks awesome! I may have to save up some money and go to one of these!
    5chord likes this.

Congratulations and a great achievement. I am an instructor for the MSF and teach the BRC course here on the west coast of FL. I hope you had an informative educational experience and have the confidence to handle your bike safely on the open ride. Remember SEE ... search, evaluate and execute!! I thoroughly enjoy teaching these classes and feel a great sense of achievement when students respond with how much they have learned ... whether thery are a novice or experienced rider. My advice to you know would be to continue those skills taught on your own bike in a quite neighbourhood or empyt parking lot. THere is only so much we can squeeze into the curriculum and so we recommend that you practice, practice and practice until you feel confident in your own handling of your motorcycle. Also check the MSF website or with the school you did your BRC with as a one day experienced class is offered where you continue to develop your skills using your own bike, along with other great classes. Be safe and be seen!!
    Zoe

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will indeed keep practicing. And I will not forget SEE, I think its a great way to approach the road, in any vehicle. I'd say the class was definitely worth the time and money, I'm very happy I've done it.
    5chord likes this.

rbm
    Congrats!

Here is something I really pay attention to............................... Dogs and deer.... Really they are so dangerous and unpredictable. Don't ever take things for granted.... If you see movement on the side of the road. S-L-O-W- down. Some dogs make a sport out of chasing you.. OMM.

Everything that was said above, as well as ESCAPE ZONES! Watch traffic coming up from behind you at traffic stops, and be ready to move past the vehicle sitting in front of you! When coming up to a stop light, I move to the side where the best escape zone is and am ready to take it if needed! I just had to use this a week ago, saved my butt! Constant monitoring whats going on up ahead of you, and ride knowing your invisible to the vehicles on the road!

Speed - It's over rated! As OMM stated above, SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!

Congrats on getting your endorsement! Be safe, and don't let your guard down!
    Last edited by Swamp; 07-09-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Swamp

2006 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links