Older tw's with low milage
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Older tw's with low milage

Older tw's with low milage

So I found a tw I want to pick up with low mile. STAY AWAY if you know which one im talking about My question is, if the bike has been taken care of, is there any issues with not having many miles for the year? Say just over 500 and its a 2006. Is there anything I would need to take care of right off the bat with such low miles? Like brake line, fuel line issues? Carb issues? Thanks.

1. Make sure it starts and runs well. Get it good and warmed up. Change the oil. As far as the oil goes, treat it as thought it were new, change it often till its broken in. 2. Provided it started and ran well for step 1, a carb service is probably not necessary. Hopefully the previous own turned the petcock off. I would however correct the 'lean condition' by looking in the technical section sticky's. 3 brake linings may (probably not) have rusted slightly. So long as it stops well, it should clear itself. However, keep an eye on the wear indicator. 4. Ride!

These are some of the toughest motor cycles I have ever worked with. They are more like tractors than cycles (I stole that from another post). For instance: (1) They are very easy to maintain (oil changes, valve settings, brakes, etc.). (2) The carbs are simple and effective. Some of us would rather have a "pumper" carb but, HEY!, its a TW not an MX Racer. I love the fact that I can let the bike "Idle" along a trail and not have it stall. Do that with your tight power band racers.

Things to watch out for on a low mile used cycle (or any internal combustion powered thing): (1) In this case (540 miles since 2006?) don't worry. That's about right for your average "cream puff" TW. Heck, you don't know. As a 2006 it might not sold "as new" from a dealer until 2008 or later. If not, that's about 75 miles per year since '06. Just enough to keep it loose, in my opinion. (2) With ethanol gas out there ALWAYS assume the carb is gummed up. Drain it, flush it, re-build it -- in that order. (3) Check to make sure the tank contains NO RUST. If it does, do not panic, there are lots of cleaning alternatives. AND (4) if the tank contains very light rust or you have had to drain/flush/re-build the carb, install an in-line gas filter (buy a disposable 3 pack). (5) Almost for got: Adjust the chain. If the past owner has not kept it tensioned correctly it and the sprockets can, in extreme cases, be trashed in 500 miles. I doubt that here but, always check the chain!

After that: Ride. Maintain. Repeat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just became a T dubber when I bought a 1991 garage queen with 675 miles on it. I had no reason at all to be concerned about issues once I saw the bike in person and heard it run. It was easy to see that the senior gentleman owner took good care of his toys and this one was never abused and had never even been road registered, just ridden around in his fields and camp ground.
    i would immediately change the oil and filter and if it runs good and the brakes are good I would ride it all day long. After my short summer season I plan to do some carb work and check the valve and cam shaft adjustments. I have already put 200 miles on mine and the only issue I see is the carb seems to have a stumble that feels like a bucking as I am cruising on secondary roads at 50 MPH. The idle is also a bit unreliable which I think is pretty common for a 22 year old carb that has never been attended to.
    Check your tires for weather checking or cracks and plan on replacing them in the near future even if the tread is still good. If you just run mostly off road I would burn the tires off and not be concerned. Not much has changed over the years with these T dubs and a show room condition low mile bike is a nice find for any one.

Got a little chuckle, for a bike that's going on 27 years of production, I did't even think of a 2006 as being a old bike. Sounds like you're getting all the right advice though.
    joeband likes this.
    89' Tdub
    10' Victory Ness Vision - a most unique touring bike
    -----
    Philosophy - questions that can't be answered.
    Religion - answers that can't be questioned.

Thanks for the help. Got to take the family on a little vacation in the family truckster and if the bike is still available in a week I should be a tdub owner!

rbm
    If the market in your area is anything like mine in NJ, you's better go buy it now, it'll be gone quickly.

I was thinking this thread would be about pre-2001 bikes

My 93 had 3500 miles on it when I got it and needed some fixit work, but nothing complicated. I got it running with new parts in 2 weeks to the point where it probably runs as well as a post-assembly 2013 model on the showroom floor.

The simplicity of the bike is my #1 favorite feature. CDI and 4 stroke with one carburetor. It's like a Ronco oven.. Set it and forget it. I've got about 2000+ miles since I bought it this spring and it has not missed a beat, leaked oil, or had any problems other than a broken clutch cable (which I replaced two days later with a new one, cheaply and easily.)
    1993 TW200

Silverhead you must be pretty close to me if you are in central iowa. Im in ankeny.

I'm in Ames
    1993 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links