Quick Yamaha dealer question
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Polarpilot

Thread: Quick Yamaha dealer question

Quick Yamaha dealer question

So, I just got my 87 about a month ago. It's been my daily commuter for about 500 miles now. Didn't want to ride any longer in the Texas summer trusting the oil I bought the bike with, so I dropped by my closet Yamaha dealership. Got my supplies, and had a chat with the head showroom guy (I think he might had been the owner) on my way out. As I looked through the floor, one thing was missing from this year's lineup, the mighty TW.

I asked how long ago his last one sold, and he said, "Like 14 years ago.....". He sounded slightly annoyed. Puzzled, I began to investigate.

So do you just have trouble selling them in a major city as compared to the rural area dealers? "Nope, because they don't compare to the fun you have on those!" (pointing to the XT's)

I responded by saying, but yeah, they have a pretty big following though. And he said semi-annoyed again, "Yeah, they really do don't they."

Sensing that the conversation was headed down a dead end, I tied it up by saying that I guess I was just a little nostalgic and wished him a good day.

So my quick question.... Do Yamaha dealers secretly despise the TW? Not a one size fit's all question obviously, but if some's goal is to always try and up sale customers to the newer, and more mainstream looking enduros, and failing to acknowledge the TW's market, why then the lack of love? Maybe it's just simple business. Maybe I'm that annoying loyalist he rarely sees come in.

Would really like everyone's feedback, as this might be encouragement for me to drive a little farther to the next closest dealer in hopes to find better support of one of Yamaha's staple motorcycles.

I have a Yamaha dealer about 8 miles from my house. When I went in to ask for a price on some parts and told him what I had they almost laughed out loud. I felt a little embarrassed and very irritated. The prices they gave me were ridiculous and it was clear to me they didn't have any interest in doing any business related to the TW. The next day I tried another dealer which is about 25 miles from my house. When I walked up to the service counter and asked for the same parts I was greeted with a smile and a "oh I love those bikes, what year is yours!!!". The prices they gave me were significantly less.

Needless to say I had found the dealer I was going to be working with. My advice is to see if you can get a better reception at another dealer. To me, it is worth driving a little further for better customer service.
    1991 TW200: Jimbo windshield, oversized foot pegs, quick release seat bolts, Tusk D-Flex hand guards, Yamaha luggage rack, Emgo trunk, 2 storage tubes, Bridgestone TW203/204 tires, LED taillight.

I had a similar experience when buying mine. I have 2 yamaha dealers in my town. The first one didn't have one on the floor. I didn't actually talk to a sales person though. The other didn't have one and said he couldn't (or wouldn't) even get one and wanted to sell me an xt. I called around 5 dealerships in my state and finally found a dealership in a small town that's about a 4 hour drive away that had two. Went back to the first dealership and they said they had 2 in crates. They said they sell a tw about once every other year. I told them if they'd assemble them and put on the floor they might have better luck.

I think the dealerships look at them like any other person does. If you like you 'em, you like 'em. If not, you don't. No in between. And consider that there's probably a limited population of buyers, small profit margin, and its a low price bike to begin with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The simple answer is no. But like any other person a salesman will have his or her opinions. Understand on paper the TW is not a great bike. As you know there is a lot more to a good bike than the sum of the parts. The TW works and works really well. The XT works and works well too but different.

I am the GM at a local dealer and we carry Yamaha as well as a lot of other brands and I own a TW. We also have a pretty larger fleet of TW's, XT's, sherpas etc as training bikes so we are familiar with how great these small bikes can be...
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 07-10-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
    The simple answer is no. But like any other person a salesman will have his or her opinions. Understand on paper the TW is not a great bike. As you know there is a lot more to a good bike than the sum of the parts. The TW works and works really well. The XT works and works well too but different.

I am the GM at a local dealer and we carry Yamaha as well as a lot of other brands and I own a TW. We also have a pretty larger fleet of TW's, XT's, sherpas etc as training bikes so we are familiar with how great these small bikes can be...
    Niche market. Economics. Gotcha. Totally understand. My suspicions were raised by his reactions to the TW in particular. It's good to get a varied amount of feedback. Still, I think I'll try my luck at another dealer though. Thanks for pitching in everyone.

Thanks for the info here Steve, I was wondering what "our" local dealer would think about this thread. If the General Manager rides one, they must be good bikes!!

This is how I ended up buying two from the second dealer I tried......... Started out in kazoo,mich and they point blank told me they didn't have any and wouldn't even try to look...
    Enter dealer two.. I stopped in paw paw, mich on my way home. They had one out side on display...... Drove it and loved it. I called my wife and had her stop in on her way home... Same results.. Loved it.. I looked and the guy and told him we now have a problem.. We would need two.. He smiled and told me to look inside the shop... Bingo ! It's twin... We picked them up the next day..... OMM.

Dealerships do not make much money on smaller and less expensive bikes - that is the beginning of the issues.
    Second part is a sneering attitude of "what can you do with 200 CC engines - how little do they know eh?
    Motorcyclists can be very odd sometimes - BMW riders are distainful of almost any other brand and Harley riders - well I am sure you knon of their attitudes!
    liquidsilver likes this.

my local dealer told me he hasn't sold a TW in a long time. he does more business in quads now, and he has a few big bikes in the shop. BM riders were like that at one time...one of the BM rallies wouldn't even let you in unless you rode one...I never went to that rally. most other ones you could go to as a guest.

Well between mrbracket's contributions on the Procycle page and this forum, I'd say us TW owners can find a way to manage even if some of our local dealers can't quite figure it out. This is by far the most organized and well equipped forum I've seen. Page after page of great info.

Sponosred Links