Explain to me...
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nfpgasmask

Thread: Explain to me...

Explain to me...

...why so many people compare my modded TW200 to this:

Ruckus_black.jpg

OK sure, fine, its only a 200cc bike, but imo, it looks nothing like the Honda Ruckus. The first time I heard someone say this, I was like, "yeah, whatever". But to date, I have been told by at least 5 different people on different occasions that my bike reminds them of the Ruckus. I mean, I really don't care, but it is kind of annoying because I really don't like scooters and I don't see how my TW reminds people of these things. No offense to the Ruckus crowd, I just don't get it. I mean, my bike is modded and blacked out, but as far as I am concerned any similarities start and end there. MY TW IS NOT A SCOOTER, DAMNIT!

Bart

I think it's the meaty tires and long swingarm. A lot of those ruckus guys run crazy long swingarms. Obviously anyone who knows bikes would spot the difference instantly, but I could see how someone who's not super interested might just focus in on that most salient characteristic the two bikes share and get them confused.

Not that it makes much difference though, I haven't spoken to my neighbor since he called my TW a "scooter"!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

The ruckus is a rad little scooter, perfect for a cruse down to the beach. What makes them cool is that they look so funny i think. But yeah dont see how people could compare the two.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, like I said, I got no beef with the Ruckus at all, to each his own, I just find it odd that so many people see my bike and think Ruckus...?

And yeah, I hate when people call motorcycles 'scooters'. To me, if you have to manually shift gears, it ain't a scooter. I don't care if it's just a 90cc bike, if you have to manually shift, it's a motorcycle. The old hippy that I sit across from at work calls all motorcycles 'scooters'. He claims that is what all bikes were called back in the day. I always give him shit about it.

Oh well.

Bart

Oh yeah! Your bike does look like a Ruckus.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Its because of Japan and their laws. 250cc and down do not need JCI Japanese Car Inspection. So if you actually looked at every bike and scooter below it they have a huge line of custom parts in Japan for them.

Right, but the people that are comparing my bike to the Ruckus, most of them anyhow, I would imagine have no idea about Japan, their laws, or the Ruckus customizing scene over there. Because if they did, they wouldn't be asking me about what my bike is, because they would already know about it.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Right, but the people that are comparing my bike to the Ruckus, most of them anyhow, I would imagine have no idea about Japan, their laws, or the Ruckus customizing scene over there. Because if they did, they wouldn't be asking me about what my bike is, because they would already know about it.

Bart
    Actuallythe TW scene peaked out at 2000. There have been many bikes and scooters in between with their short boom in popularity. There are ridiculous amounts of custom parts for those bikes. Right now since the economy is soooo bad there is really no scene in Japan. Its a strange time.

Don't take it to heart! Some guys at work that call my T-Dub an E-bike!

Cheers
    Ryan
    '09 TW200 - Black Jimbo Shield - Custom Oversize Foot Pegs - Tusk T-10 ATV Sport Bend Bars - Hammer Black Cycle Rack - Tool Tube (Muffler Style Mount) - 15/50 Sprocket - HID Headlight - Custom Mount Ducati Monster LED Tail Light - LED Turn Signals - Eagle Eye Running Lights - OURY Road Grips - Shinko 700 Trailmaster Front Tire.

I think these are people who have been sitting in front of computers too much and are way over due for an appointment with their optometrist. Seriously, a Ruckus?!

Sponosred Links