GPS choices/Experiences
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GPS choices/Experiences

Hey Guys ,

I as trying to get informations about recommendations and past experience on GPS and mount. I didn't get much lucky , if i use the search feature of the forum for "GPS" it's too short and i don't get result.

So here questions , what would be a good GPS for the tw200 with a good mount.I love the ram but i was not able to make a decision on the GPS. Here the options i see :
    - Getting a cheap garmin and a mount.
    - Using my Iphone and a mount.
    - Using a "trail" gps with road capabilities ( i have no experience with this type of gps and i don't know if it's usable in a city ).

I need the gps for my commute rides and avoid highway.
    Let me know if you have any recommendations , past experience , pictures are welcome ! Details on the outdoor gps are very welcome !

THanks for the help!

I am prepping to update my GPS too. My plan is to use an ipad mini in a FRE case on a RAM mount. I retired a garmin 530. The garmin 650 didn't make the grade.
    I'm a big fan of ram mounts on atvs,motorcycles and in vehicles.
    Ipad has a 10hr battery life and the cases should address ruggedness.
    Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

91 TW200 aka "The Mule" :-)

03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250[/color]

I have both a Gamin 60csx and 205W on my Tdub. I like the differences that they provide. Muley12-2011-3.JPGMuley12-2011-1.JPG
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

On my TW I have RAM mounts for both a Garmin nuvi (285W) and my Garmin 60CSX. I bought the nuvi for use in the truck and the Garmin 60csx for hiking and geocaching. Both are sometimes used on the TW just because I am too cheap to buy a bike-specific GPS. If I was going to buy a GPS to use only on the bike I would not buy either of the above units.

I would not recommend the nuvi 285W because it is very difficult to read in the daylight – the screen gets washed out. (However, maybe other nuvis are brighter?). The 60CSX is easier to see but in my opinion the screen is too small for easy viewing of the map page. (The 60CSX does work well if you want to setup one of the custom pages to only display 3 variables – such as Speed and Direction and something else – with only 3 items displayed the parameters are large enough to easily read).

I love the RAM mounts. I got one with the short arm (1.75”) and one with a 3 inch arm (3”). Both work well.
    Last edited by old white truck; 07-14-2013 at 10:52 PM.

I use a Garmin Rino 120, GPS and 2-way. The best part of these, are that you can send your location to another Rino and vice-versa, this way if you get seperated you can find each other.
    DSCN3470-M.jpg
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

I've been using my Garmin Legend in the Garmin handle bar mount for years. Bought a second Legend for a backup and it died a quick death. I think from vibration. Something to consider in your search.
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

2002 Honda Spirit Shadow VT750

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

I have had a number of different GPS units on my ATVs over the years. One thing for sure that you do want is a big screen. I had the Garmin Rinos, both the 120 and the much better 520 HCI models and they do have some great features with the Peer Location ability but the screens are way too small to be of much use while riding. Vibration is a concern so if you can mount a unit in as vibration free of a mount you will save yourself some headaches. You also want a water proof unit that can get wet or even dunked for a minute or two.

Thanks everybody !
    Does the GPS like the Garmin 60CSX/Rino are working to get directions in the street as well ? or are they just offroad ?

Rino's don't do street maps but I don't know if the 60 can. I think in the Garmin line up if you want both street and topo maps you have to go with one of their costly marine versions.

The rino 530 used Could be loaded with street maps and had a routable basemap with major roads on it. The rino 650 did not have a routable basemap but couple be loaded as well. Very $$$
    Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

91 TW200 aka "The Mule" :-)

03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250[/color]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links