One more sprocket question
Close

One more sprocket question

So I went out riding today (4.5 hours, my butt is killing me). I hit some very steep uphills and downhills where I wish I had a little lower gearing. I ride this bike about 90% off road. I still want to be able to go 65mph for short sections on the road. I figure my best option would be to leave the front alone and go with a 55 tooth in the back. I have two questions. Does this sound like a good idea? How many links are in the stock chain and will I need to buy a new one?

Thanks everyone

Medsker

According to the calculator, you would be almost to redline at 65mph. TW200 Speed Calculator
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Your right, it looks like the bike would be happier at 60mph. That is probably fast enough. Here in Cali all of the big rigs have to go 55mph so if I sit a couple hundred feet behind one I shouldn't cause a traffic jam :-) The only time I am even on a road that is 65mph is driving to Mojave which is only around ten miles. Most of the major roads around here are 55mph. I know I'm rambling but I think I would be okay with 60mph.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

55 sounds good................. It will give you enough extra low end without completely taking everything at top...

I found out something very surprising to me last month... We took a trip out east with the dubs and climbed three mountain passes with our 14/47 gearing... That combo works great in mich.. We ride 95% on road.... Well on the way up our dubs couldn't hold even 3rd gear at the steepest sections near the highest points. So now I see why the guys that live near mountains go with lower gearing........ Only makes sense. If I were to move near mountains I would at least go back to stock 14/50 combo... OMM.

If your chain is the right length, you can go back and forth from a 50t to a 55t sprocket using the that chain but your adjustments will be at the extremes. Simply put the 55t sprocket and see if you can make it work. If not you will be able to see exactly what you need to add.

I use a 14/55 set up and I have no problem cruising along at just over 60 mph.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links