TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Older or newer. What's the difference?

8K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  supachip1 
#1 ·
:confused: I'm comparing a 1999 to a 2009. Other than drum vs. disc front brakes what are some other differences? all other things being equal which would be better? Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

#4 ·
Excellent point by Brian. However, a kickstarter can be added back to the later models :), for about $200 in parts + time. :(

#3 · (Edited)
Off the top of my head 2001+ got the front disc brake, a trip meter in the odometer, a green light instead of an amber light for turn signals in the indicator box, a cv carb replacing the slide carb, and some electrical system upgrades.

All things equal, get the '09 because, well, it's a decade newer. If you can get a '99 significantly cheaper, go for it. All years are good bikes, with the first 1987 being the only year to give one pause. That is only because the CDI unit is more likely than other years to fail, and they are expensive to replace and hard to find. They upgraded the following year.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Just buy them both, it will save you the time looking for another one later....ha ha

:)

#8 · (Edited)
Another difference is the muffler mounting bolt location....both the muffler and frame tab size. The change was in 2002 I believe. A simple flat bracket with a couple holes in it works to adapt between the two tho. There's a thread on it here somewhere showing it. *edit* - found the thread: http://tw200forum.com/forum/technic...haust-interchangeability-between-years-2.html

I'm not sure if a '99 has a 35W bulb like my '95 but if so that's a difference too. Newer ones are 55W.

Handlebar controls are a little different....light switch changed from slide to rocker switch. There are slight changes on the throttle control too.

#9 ·
Differences worth mentioning:

1987- One-year-only charging, CDI and electrical system, seperate headlight coil, no front running lights. Generally to be avoided unless you get a smokin' deal and all this stuff still works. Otherwise identical to '88-'00.

!988-2000- All years identical mechanically. Drum brakes, both ends. Kick and electric start, single-phase alternator, 35W headlight bulb, front running lights.

2001-up. All years essentially identical mechanically (so far). Disc front, drum rear. 3-phase alternator, 55w headlight, electric start only, resettable trip meter in speedometer.

#12 ·
Birdcage liner from the same discussion a couple of years ago. It might be TMI. I prolly had too much coffee that day:

"All TW's are great bikes. Some (slightly} greater than others, depending on your point of view.

'87's had one-year-only charging systems and ignition modules. Aside from that, they are essentaially no different from an '88-2000 model. They're becoming a parts problem with regard ONLY to the electrical systems.

In 2001, Yamaha giveth us a front disc brake, (but taketh away our kickstarter) slightly more alternator output, a new CV carburetor, and a resetable trip meter.

So basically the bike has had 3 versions of charging system, picked up a disc brake and lost its kickstarter in 24-odd years.

All plastics are interchangeable from year one to present. Lots of lovely Barbie colors over the years if yer into that. lol

The basic motor is the same and all parts will interchange except for the left side covers, which have slightly different castings to accomodate the different charging and CDI systems over the years. Later models had a self-adjusting cam chain adjuster. Intake manifolds, carb boots and cables are a bit different between the early and late carbs but late also fits old, and vice-vera.

Quality control has worsened considerably on the later model motors, so watch for base gasket leaks. Yamaha has issued a Bandaid in the form of an "improved" base gasket, but the real problem stems from random batches of crappy cases. Some suck, some don't.

All front end parts will swap between years. The disc front end differs from the drum only in the left lower legs and that the lower triple tree has a tapped hole for the brake hose mount.

The late model carb drives from the right, early model's cables are on the left.

Swingarms and rear wheels are all the same.

Disc front wheels have thicker spokes and the spoke lengths and lacing pattern is different from a drum. Same spoke count. As far as I'm concerned both are equal in terms of actual braking distances. It's more a matter of "feel" than effectiveness. Pick yer poison here. Drums don't bother me at all. I own both.

The rear brakes are all the same. They blow.

Gas tanks are all the same except later models got a smaller gas cap and Cali models have a fitting for a vapor hose.

Early models have better starter solenoids, relays, and electrical components overall, IMO.

Later models have more output and slightly more sheltered and better protected wiring harnesses.

Lower fork legs lost their drain screws at some point. Early models had them. Huge maintenence issue.

Kickstands, frame gussets and welds are better on the older units. Whether this was neccessary or not is arguable, but they are different.

While this is not a rant against Yamaha, be aware that numerous cost cutting measures like this have been initiated over the years. Most were also accompanied by some fairly significant improvement. Most are insignificant in the real world, but can complicate parts ordering and modifications. Recently some have discovered that the rear muffler mount location has been changed slightly, for example. So even though a 20 year old muffler is identical in every other respect it won't fit the latest and greatest. The good news is that the bike is rock simple to begin with.

The only real interchangeability problems I've encountered have been between the electrical systems, wiring harnesses and switchgear. Lots of variations here, with minor, sniggling changes to the various connectors and components.

The forum has become a bit "sticky intensive" lately. All useful info, mind you, but if there is enough interest I will compile all the differences I've noticed between the years.

Virtually ANY TW is better than NO TW, and no particular year is hands-down superior enough to another year to cause you to hold out. If it's a matter of cost vs. shine, a mid-90's unit in good condition would be my choice. "

#16 ·
Birdcage liner from the same discussion a couple of years ago. It might be TMI. I prolly had too much coffee that day:

"All TW's are great bikes. Some (slightly} greater than others, depending on your point of view.

'87's had one-year-only charging systems and ignition modules. Aside from that, they are essentaially no different from an '88-2000 model. They're becoming a parts problem with regard ONLY to the electrical systems.

In 2001, Yamaha giveth us a front disc brake, (but taketh away our kickstarter) slightly more alternator output, a new CV carburetor, and a resetable trip meter.

So basically the bike has had 3 versions of charging system, picked up a disc brake and lost its kickstarter in 24-odd years.

All plastics are interchangeable from year one to present. Lots of lovely Barbie colors over the years if yer into that. lol

The basic motor is the same and all parts will interchange except for the left side covers, which have slightly different castings to accomodate the different charging and CDI systems over the years. Later models had a self-adjusting cam chain adjuster. Intake manifolds, carb boots and cables are a bit different between the early and late carbs but late also fits old, and vice-vera.

Quality control has worsened considerably on the later model motors, so watch for base gasket leaks. Yamaha has issued a Bandaid in the form of an "improved" base gasket, but the real problem stems from random batches of crappy cases. Some suck, some don't.

All front end parts will swap between years. The disc front end differs from the drum only in the left lower legs and that the lower triple tree has a tapped hole for the brake hose mount.

The late model carb drives from the right, early model's cables are on the left.

Swingarms and rear wheels are all the same.

Disc front wheels have thicker spokes and the spoke lengths and lacing pattern is different from a drum. Same spoke count. As far as I'm concerned both are equal in terms of actual braking distances. It's more a matter of "feel" than effectiveness. Pick yer poison here. Drums don't bother me at all. I own both.

The rear brakes are all the same. They blow.

Gas tanks are all the same except later models got a smaller gas cap and Cali models have a fitting for a vapor hose.

Early models have better starter solenoids, relays, and electrical components overall, IMO.

Later models have more output and slightly more sheltered and better protected wiring harnesses.

Lower fork legs lost their drain screws at some point. Early models had them. Huge maintenence issue.

Kickstands, frame gussets and welds are better on the older units. Whether this was neccessary or not is arguable, but they are different.

While this is not a rant against Yamaha, be aware that numerous cost cutting measures like this have been initiated over the years. Most were also accompanied by some fairly significant improvement. Most are insignificant in the real world, but can complicate parts ordering and modifications. Recently some have discovered that the rear muffler mount location has been changed slightly, for example. So even though a 20 year old muffler is identical in every other respect it won't fit the latest and greatest. The good news is that the bike is rock simple to begin with.

The only real interchangeability problems I've encountered have been between the electrical systems, wiring harnesses and switchgear. Lots of variations here, with minor, sniggling changes to the various connectors and components.

The forum has become a bit "sticky intensive" lately. All useful info, mind you, but if there is enough interest I will compile all the differences I've noticed between the years.

Virtually ANY TW is better than NO TW, and no particular year is hands-down superior enough to another year to cause you to hold out. If it's a matter of cost vs. shine, a mid-90's unit in good condition would be my choice. "
That's good info that I need to save since I've got an early and a late and I confuse easily. :confused:

If you do put a list together, more thorough than your post, it'd be....how do you say it in Cali?.....RAD man!

#13 ·
Thanks for your responses. Very useful & informative. If all goes well I will own my 1st MC by this weekend and it will be a Tdub. Still haven,t made a firm decision as to older or newer but i'm sure it will be a TW200. What are some important things to look for or check out as a first time purchaser. I will use it mostly for urban transportation.

#14 ·
Besides checking all that things that you would normally check when buying a used motorcycle, the only special things that I can think to look for on a TW are:
  • As Lizardbrth and others have said, avoid an '87 if you can (due to the CDI)
  • Check for the base gasket leak which was a possibility on the years somewhere around 2005 to 2009 (I am not sure of the exact years but someone here will know).

Good luck and let us know what you find.

#15 ·
Anybody know which year was the automatic cam chain tensioner introduced? I recently got a 1995 Yamaha sales brochure for the dual purpose bikes and on the TW page is says "And there's no worries about mechanical gremlins, thanks to a maintenance free CDI ignition, engine counter balancer and an automatic cam chain tensioner." Before I saw this assumed it was around 2001 when most of the other major changes were made.

#17 ·
Thanks for the nice list or changes
I am looking for a complete list of parts to upgrade my 87 to 01 electrically
I read about this on another post but can not find it now.
Sure there are people with better memory or searching skills than mine

#18 ·
+1 for the good info here, i am also intrested in any information regarding the changes, i have 3 tw's now, all bought cheap with a view to customizing. they all seem to have different parts fitted in certain places.
1 has disc brake, kick starter small rectangle cdi with wires coming out from it, round headlight
1 has drum brake, kickstarter, small rectangle cdi with wires coming out, speedo with red light in top right corner marked 'speed'? rectangle headlight
1 has disc brake, large flat rectangle cdi, with a moulded connecter block fitting, round headlight and different wiring connectors then the other 2

all have same carbs with left hand throttle attachments, but dont know what brand..(i need a carb kit but am only guessing by ebay pictures of top gasket shape)
there is a difference in starter solenoid shapes.

i read somewhere that the round headlight meant it was an import from Japan..i'm in thailand so would seem valid.

how do the chassis numbers work? 1 of mine had 09 in the stamping on the head of the frame but i dont think it an 09 bike..not judging by the state it was in...

thanks for any help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.