Tank in the picture
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Tank in the picture

Tank in the picture

Can someone help me identify the type/model of the fuel tank installed on this bike (see photo).
    (I'm obviously new to the forum so it could possibly be one of the older member's bike.)
    It does not look to me like it is one of the Clarke plastic tanks. longroad-1[1].jpg
    I would appreciate if someone knows.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jaytw View Post
    Can someone help me identify the type/model of the fuel tank installed on this bike (see photo).
    (I'm obviously new to the forum so it could possibly be one of the older member's bike.)
    It does not look to me like it is one of the Clarke plastic tanks.
    I would appreciate if someone knows.
    Thanks!
    Appears to be a metal tank from an XT350 or XT600...but am not positive.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Peruano's writeup:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/5933-synopsis-xt350-tank-install.html

A number of us have them. Also available from Clarke in a plastic, 4 gallon version. The O.E.M. steel XT350 tank is about 3.2 gallons. The XT600 tank while similar is a bit harder to mount and actually holds a bit less due to its faux air scoop arrangenent.

Your TW seat can be used with the XT tank swith a bit of tweeking. There are as many methods of dealing with the seat as there are XT350 tank owners. Do a search and you'll find one which suits you.

Here's mine, with a TW/XT seat slpice (main seat pan is TW, nose of an XT350 seat pan grafted on to match tank, then re-covered).

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-06-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You are right. I did some more research and it is the OEM XT350 just like on your bike. I really like the look and the fit with your mod seat as well.
    I'm not into the look of the Clarke plastic version. Is there a place where to get an OEM steel XT350 tank?
    The once i've seen on eBay are quite beat up and rusty (even with rust inside which scares me, - how do you even clean rust from inside a tank????
    Your seat looks sick!!! (could you maybe post a pic of the bottom of the seat? to see how the two different seats are put together?
    Thanks a lot for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytw View Post
    You are right. I did some more research and it is the OEM XT350 just like on your bike. I really like the look and the fit with your mod seat as well.
    I'm not into the look of the Clarke plastic version. Is there a place where to get an OEM steel XT350 tank?
    The once i've seen on eBay are quite beat up and rusty (even with rust inside which scares me, - how do you even clean rust from inside a tank????
    Your seat looks sick!!! (could you maybe post a pic of the bottom of the seat? to see how the two different seats are put together?
    Thanks a lot for your post.
    The only surefire way to find a metal OEM XT350 tank is to buy a Clarke XT350 tank. Once you have installed the Clarke tank, a nearly complete XT350 parts bike with a clean tank and an asking price of $100 will be posted to your local Craigslist within 1 week.

Pass this on to 10 friends or else you'll never get an XT tank for your TW EVER!

Seriously though, I looked for a couple of months for an OEM XT350 tank before giving up and getting a Clarke, and that's pretty much what happened to me.

Cosmetics aside, the plastic Clarke tank has a few things going for it. More fuel capacity, zero chance of rust, dent resistant.

I agree with you, the metal XT350 tanks are sharp, but depending on your luck and time frame you might find it worthwhile to keep the aftermarket tanks in mind.

Also keep in mind that the XT350 tank mod (with the accompanying mods to the seat and pan) is a pretty committed and involved customization. It's a 1 way street too. I love having that much fuel capacity, but honestly it's rare that I actually need it. I'm sure that Lizrdbrth's and others' bikes fit together a little neater than my hack job, but I might think a little harder about the TW-specific Clarke tank if I was doing it again.
    BikeNerd21 likes this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I found the sexiest xt tank I believe I have ever seen, and its priced to sell! That would look sick on my 2010
    Yamaha Fuel Tank 15A 24110 00 01 Fits Yamaha XT125J '82 XT200J '82 | eBay
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Don Benito, have you ever had opportunity to compare yours with the steel versions and if so in how many dimensions is it bulkier than the steel jobs? Is it notably wider in the rear?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Don Benito, have you ever had opportunity to compare yours with the steel versions and if so in how many dimensions is it bulkier than the steel jobs? Is it notably wider in the rear?
    I have never had the opportunity to do a side-by side comparison, but from the looks of the indentations in the Clarke tank the rear end must be pretty close to the stocker.

From the outside of that lower bottom rear corner bumpout (above the front edge of the side panel) to the outside of its' twin on the other side is about 10". From looking at pictures of stock XT350 tanks it seems that Clarke made most of the extra room by expanding the front and top of the tank.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Since I'm the owner of the tank in the picture, I'll chime in a bit.
    1. Don Benito with all due respects, the conversion is not irreversible or even difficult. I'd replace the sawed off stub at the rear of the tank with a longer bolt and slap on the tank.
    Secondly since I only added flex to my seat and didn't hybridize it like Lizard, it would reinstall immediately and probably take a bit of time to snug up like originally.
    2. My original tank was an OEM metal xt350 tank and the one I'm riding now is perfect condition on (its my second because the first was an ugly duckling - it served me well, had some rust that never gave me problems with a fuel filter, had some dents which I covered with gripper pads, and has been passed on to others in the TW world with the hope that it will resurrect itself).
    3. My present tank came to me for $50 after I contacted a guy selling an XT350 with a plastic tank on CL. I inquired about whether he had the original tank and he replied affirmatively. When I inquired about its condition, I nearly jumped through the phone to get it.
    The XT350 guys and gals have had plastic tanks available for many more year than us, and there must be many stocker tanks sitting in garages. Advertising on CL, AdventureRider, or other forums would probably yield usable tanks.
    Are they easy to find? No, but they exist. Range before hitting reserve is about 180 miles and reserve must be big as its installed on mine.
    Not related to anything, but I recently discovered that I was presented with a Daisy BB gun during the two year period in a 100 yr history of manufacture that the stock and forepiece were made from plastic, 1950-52. I still have that gun and resent it having plastic components. I don't want no frigging plastic tank!

Tom

Here is a side by side comparison of the stock tw tank and the xt 350 tank.

And another view.
    Last edited by peruano; 08-07-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: add info
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

ATTACH=CONFIG]500[/ATTACH]Thank you all for the discouraging posts lol.
    I guess I can get the same Clarke look by moding a milk container and saving some big $$$
    Jokes aside, is there a way to clean rust from inside the tank??? Did anyone attempted to do this???
    I'd like to hear your thoughts.

On another note, DonBenito - I'm also looking to get the rear rack. Noticing on yours you have the cycleracks one.
    Any advice on the rack?
    I've looked at the TCI ones as well as the original one sold by Yamaha online. None states the max load weight.

Yamaha online: $113.49 (Would work with the SHAD hard case)
    aba-2jy51-00-00.jpg

Cycleracks.com $199 Not sure how this rack looks like (not mounted), on the bike pictured it is hard to tell how it is mounted to the frame (the connection points) - which is kind of nice and sleek though.
    However, cycleracks does not offer optional/additional side rack to attach to this like the TCI ones do. So even though I like this one I would have to still figure out how to add the side racks and which ones would work with the cyclerack.
    TW200%20Bike[1].jpg

The TCI products offer the most variety from simple one around $120 to $350 with the side racks which gets a bit pricey $$$$
    Any thoughts on these???
    TCI Borrego Rack.png
    TCI Borrego Rack $120

TCI 1 Sequoia Rack.png
    TCI 1 Sequoia Rack $270

TCI Denali Rack.png
    TCI Denali Rack $270

TCI Outback Rack $350
    https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=734

TCI products site:
    https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...ort=20a&page=1

Any advice on the racks? (pros-cons)