Why the TW200 over Honda CRF250L or Kowi KLX225?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Why the TW200 over Honda CRF250L or Kowi KLX225?

Question Why the TW200 over Honda CRF250L or Kowi KLX225?

I am in the market for a run-around-town and sometimes on the highway kinda bike. I've always admired the TW200 but in doing the research ahead of buying, I'm seeing about the same pricing on the TW, CRF and KLX (250 - not 225).

I have yet to sit on any of them and that may play a big role in the decision - I'm 5'8.... and I'm not sure about the taller 250's.

But I sure like the top end of the 250's and they still get 70ish MPG.

The dealer that I'm talking to that handles all of these is trying to talk me into the Honda. Says he'll have to get the TW from another dealer IF he can find one. Doesn't seem to happy with Yamaha...

So - why are you a TW200 owner instead of one of the 250's?
    Last edited by OSOK; 08-15-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

OSOK, I think both the models you listed above are 250's now. Back when I purchased my TW in 2005, most of the model's were 225's, and I didn't see much of a difference. If I was in the market for a bike today, I would go with a 250 instead of the TW. However, I've been very pleased with my TW as I use it (not a lot of open highway riding...but some).

The TW does have a bit lower seat heigth, but a Yamaha XT250 isn't much different. Saw them side by side at a dealership a couple weeks ago and was surprised the XT was nearly as low, seat wise, as the TW.

Thems my tought's.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Everything you need to know summed up in a little video.

The most important info is at the end of the video
    stdan and DonBenito like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you want to have a bike that triggers curiousity, unlimited options of making this bike your own personality, staying on two wheels vs. falling, having fun, not worrying about going super fast, riding with people without major egos and more of a fun for life attitude. There is no question. If you want to go fast, keep up with the Jones' and make your salesman happy don't buy a TW.

Who cares how hard the saleman has to work to make a phone call or two. YOU are the one who will be riding the TW. You will find yourself personalizing your TW and smiling with everything you do to it, with it and on it.IMG_6047.JPGIMG_6051.JPGIMG_6455.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a few more unless it's stock...no tw us the same.tw200_hbk03.jpgtw.jpgtw 2.jpg

If you want fast you should look elsewhere. The crf is a good bike and may suit your needs better. The tw is not meant to go on the highway. I make short trips on the highway going 65mph but it is not suggested... but doable. The tw shines when you just want to putt around offroad and enjoy the scenery. You can ride at a walking pace without stalling. It is also the perfect bike for beginners because of its low seat height and ease of use. Think of your intentions for the bike you want and it will be easy to decide between the 3.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I am 5'8 and have a TW and a taller Husky 650. From my experience sitting on the CRF250l and KLX250 I would recommend the Honda. It is not too tall for people of our height. It is also fuel injected which is nice (being at high elevation). The KLX is tall, carbureted, and not as good of value as the Honda IMHO.

The TW is not a highway bike and neither is the Honda but the Honda will fare much better on the super slab. If I were to just have one bike I would choose the Honda. The TW is a great bike to compliment another bike. I say this because of the lack of top speed and power. I love my little T-dub but I am glad I have another more powerful Hwy worthy bike .

Quote Originally Posted by OSOK View Post
    I am in the market for a run-around-town and sometimes on the highway kinda bike.
    You did not say anything about off-road. If you are not going to be going off road much, and you want to spend some time on the highway, my recommendation would be to look at something other than the TW. Off road, the TW shines. Below 55 or 60 it is also OK. For speeds above that there are better options. That is just my opinion, others may feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by OSOK View Post
    I have yet to sit on any of them and that may play a big role in the decision - I'm 5'8.... and I'm not sure about the taller 250's.
    I am 5'9" and test rode the CRF250L. It has a taller seat than the TW but I did not have any problem with it at all.

Here are two threads that discuss the CRF250L compared to the TW:

Thank y'all for the replies - Braden - great vid! And Joedirt - the pics are awesome too. I've been checking things out - joined a few other bike forums - this is by far the best and the one that I feel more at home on - because of the members. I was PM'd by one that's in my state - offering to help me - that's what I'm talking about.

I've been admiring the TW's for a long time. The reason I didn't get one before now was... I was married. But that sadly has changed - after 31 years. Simple, uncontested divorce, no one else involved and no fighting - we are working together well even though I do not want the divorce... BUT, now that she has no input, I feel free to pursue my own interests including getting a bike.

And I think ya'll have made my mind up. The Honda might be more practical but the TW just has something that no other bike seems to possess = and as said, it seems to attract the kind of folks that I feel the most comfortable around.

TW it is - now just need to locate one and pull the trigger.

If I really dig the TW and feel that I want more power, I can get a bigger bike later.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub

Hidden Content

Old White Truck - thanks. As said, the CRF makes more sense but then, it doesn't feel the same to me if that makes any sense at all coming from a conservative guy lol.

I actually live on some land with trails and the property is located on a dirt road, so I'll be riding it "off road" all of the time just going to and fro.

I also would like to do some trail riding/camping. I have a lot of backpacking gear already and the TW would be perfect for that.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links